Spitting

Started by ONeill, March 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: LeoMc on March 13, 2013, 11:29:18 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on March 13, 2013, 11:23:32 AM

Even if he was provoked, a clear message needs to be sent out like the Tyrone County board banned the fan that spat at Lacey 2 weeks ago.

I totally find it the lowest form of contempt for another human being and it says I think so little of you that I spit on you.

Did they actually get someone for this or just talk about banning someone if he was caught?

Sure who was this fan? How can he be banned from anywhere if no one knows who he is?

Nally Stand

Quote from: RMDrive on March 13, 2013, 11:33:17 AM

Even if he was provoked, a clear message needs to be sent out like the Tyrone County board banned the fan that spat at Lacey 2 weeks ago.

I totally find it the lowest form of contempt for another human being and it says I think so little of you that I spit on you.

Did they actually get someone for this or just talk about banning someone if he was caught?

Sure who was this fan? How can he be banned from anywhere if no one knows who he is?

They do know who he is and they have suspended him.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

RMDrive

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 13, 2013, 11:34:22 AM

Suspended him from what? Attending games? Practically how will a suspension work if it's not known who he his?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 13, 2013, 10:07:07 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 13, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
I have played against Southern teams before and been called loads of sectarian names, didn't bother me in the slightest much in the same way as when playing a game in my own County if someone gives me stick in relation to my family or how I look.  I let the person slabber on.  Thats not to say that some people are more volatile and do react, and whilst you can't qualify spitting against verbals, why does it seem to be acceptable now to try and 'be the bigger person' when in situations like this?  I wouldn't spit on somebody myself irrelevant of the abuse, but in that situation I don't see how anyone can condemn the spitting if the person spat at was being abusive.  Verbal abuse is serious enough to land you in prison if its focused on a persons skin colour, why should it be seen as acceptable when its in other forms (mother, sister, looks, weight etc), as these contain as much hatred and offense. 

On another note, this is the second time in a year that a Kerry club haven't been able to take their beating at the hand of a Tyrone club.  Unbelievable how much reaction was last year after Derrytresk won, the same again this year.  Incidents involving Tyrone teams seem to get a lot of publicity, yet I have heard about a lot of other incidents involving southern counties the past week that haven't been highlighted as much, such as the Emilyn Mulligan incident or stone throwing at the linesman in the Leinster U-21 Championship.

Personally, that seems to be a worse case as it was a real blood filled gob according to Mulligan.  I hadn't heard about the linesman thing, what is it?

A head the ball (you know the type, shouting at every perceived indiscretion) took umbrage at a sending off (it wasn't even a booking but that's neither here nor there). Not content with running the yard or two to the fence to vent more spleen at the linesman (Derek Fahy from Longford) he then grabbed a handful of stone chippings from the ground and threw it at his back. Think he may have showered the Wexford Maor Uisce as well. Was dragged back to the stand by his suffering wife. Last I heard he was identified to the county board.

The Mulligan (Emilyn) incident sounds worse alright, I hope one of the officials witnessed it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

RMDrive

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 13, 2013, 11:41:28 AM
I have played against Southern teams before and been called loads of sectarian names, didn't bother me in the slightest much in the same way as when playing a game in my own County if someone gives me stick in relation to my family or how I look.  I let the person slabber on.  Thats not to say that some people are more volatile and do react, and whilst you can't qualify spitting against verbals, why does it seem to be acceptable now to try and 'be the bigger person' when in situations like this?  I wouldn't spit on somebody myself irrelevant of the abuse, but in that situation I don't see how anyone can condemn the spitting if the person spat at was being abusive.  Verbal abuse is serious enough to land you in prison if its focused on a persons skin colour, why should it be seen as acceptable when its in other forms (mother, sister, looks, weight etc), as these contain as much hatred and offense. 

On another note, this is the second time in a year that a Kerry club haven't been able to take their beating at the hand of a Tyrone club.  Unbelievable how much reaction was last year after Derrytresk won, the same again this year.  Incidents involving Tyrone teams seem to get a lot of publicity, yet I have heard about a lot of other incidents involving southern counties the past week that haven't been highlighted as much, such as the Emilyn Mulligan incident or stone throwing at the linesman in the Leinster U-21 Championship.

Personally, that seems to be a worse case as it was a real blood filled gob according to Mulligan.  I hadn't heard about the linesman thing, what is it?

A head the ball (you know the type, shouting at every perceived indiscretion) took umbrage at a sending off (it wasn't even a booking but that's neither here nor there). Not content with running the yard or two to the fence to vent more spleen at the linesman (Derek Fahy from Longford) he then grabbed a handful of stone chippings from the ground and threw it at his back. Think he may have showered the Wexford Maor Uisce as well. Was dragged back to the stand by his suffering wife. Last I heard he was identified to the county board.

The Mulligan (Emilyn) incident sounds worse alright, I hope one of the officials witnessed it.

It was why he was sent off.

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on March 13, 2013, 08:41:23 AM
Quote from: BartSimpson on March 13, 2013, 01:01:45 AM
The area I come from would be considered a bit scummy, so ive endured some terrible abuse over the years. All that said, I doubt d verbals I put up with are anything like d only thing I ever got sent off 4. I boxed the head off a wee pup for a spit into my face. I was dragged off him. Its all bout opinions, but for me, spittin into the face is scum of d earth. Nuttin lower. Life bans are d order of d day.
People losing the run of themselves here. No doubt it is scummy but the worst act ever? Behave yourself ffs. Not that long ago a young lad got his ballbag ripped off!!

People getting their jaws broken etc etc. You can wash yer face and go to work in the morning if someone spits on ye.

I'd rather the box. Spitting is the ultimate degradation. You are treating the person with utter contempt, not even worthy of a slap or two. If you dished out a bad tackle and the player got up and dug you - you'd accept why he did that. If he got up and gobbed in your face it's a different matter.

I know what you're saying about long term effects but personally I could accept the dig. There's something humiliating about spitting.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on March 13, 2013, 12:01:34 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 13, 2013, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: hardstation on March 13, 2013, 08:41:23 AM
Quote from: BartSimpson on March 13, 2013, 01:01:45 AM
The area I come from would be considered a bit scummy, so ive endured some terrible abuse over the years. All that said, I doubt d verbals I put up with are anything like d only thing I ever got sent off 4. I boxed the head off a wee pup for a spit into my face. I was dragged off him. Its all bout opinions, but for me, spittin into the face is scum of d earth. Nuttin lower. Life bans are d order of d day.
People losing the run of themselves here. No doubt it is scummy but the worst act ever? Behave yourself ffs. Not that long ago a young lad got his ballbag ripped off!!

People getting their jaws broken etc etc. You can wash yer face and go to work in the morning if someone spits on ye.

I'd rather the box. Spitting is the ultimate degradation. You are treating the person with utter contempt, not even worthy of a slap or two. If you dished out a bad tackle and the player got up and dug you - you'd accept why he did that. If he got up and gobbed in your face it's a different matter.

I know what you're saying about long term effects but personally I could accept the dig. There's something humiliating about spitting.
You're mad. I'd rather be wiping spit off my face than choking on my teeth, never mind counting my balls.
Jeez how many do you have that you need to spend time counting them?!

rodney trotter

Quote from: RMDrive on March 13, 2013, 11:36:12 AM

Suspended him from what? Attending games? Practically how will a suspension work if it's not known who he his?

He was dealt with Tony Sorprano style.. http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=187217

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: RMDrive on March 13, 2013, 11:45:43 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 13, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

It was why he was sent off.

Thanks, didn't know that. Should be dropped from the panel once justice has been served, send out a message from a new management.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

rrhf

That banned man will not be seen at a match again this year. 

supersarsfields

But it's prob the only thing that the county board can do. They can't fine him. It would be down to the PSNI/ Garda to do anything in regards to the law. The county board are limited in what they can do. But at least highlighting and trying to punish it shows that it's unacceptable behaviour and might make people think (I know asking alot of these sort of people) twice before doing something similar.

RMDrive

Quote from: rrhf on March 13, 2013, 12:10:27 PM

Why not? Who is going to stop him? How are they going to stop him?

Tubberman

Quote from: RMDrive on March 13, 2013, 12:42:15 PM

No, you misunderstood. He's going in disguise. A fake moustache and funny glasses.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

EC Unique

Quote from: RMDrive on March 13, 2013, 12:42:15 PM

RMD is right. The man should be named and shamed.

RMDrive

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 13, 2013, 12:29:05 PM

But it's prob the only thing that the county board can do. They can't fine him. It would be down to the PSNI/ Garda to do anything in regards to the law. The county board are limited in what they can do. But at least highlighting and trying to punish it shows that it's unacceptable behaviour and might make people think (I know asking alot of these sort of people) twice before doing something similar.

Yeah I agree that the CB was probably very limited in what they could do and I think they did well to react quickly on the day and to not dilly dally around before offering an apology. Karl probably has the right of it in saying that he wants to forget about it.

IMO though this "punishment" amounts to absolutely nothing. This lad, likely while surrounded by his friends, spat at a lad who was there for football only. In return his reputation is undamaged and he might have to wear a hoodie to attend games for a while. It just doesn't sit right with me. Of course, I don't have a clue what could be done instead; there are no practical options. Even naming the guy wouldn't work as there's no point making him the target for some other fool. Perhaps if he was told to go to the Four Masters club and to work for a few days around the grounds. Something like that would never work either I suppose.