Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill have stepped down as joint managers of the Cross

Started by our_fella, March 06, 2013, 10:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: ranch on March 28, 2013, 02:39:05 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 28, 2013, 12:29:28 AM
Wonder what impact this is going to have on Grimley's Armagh.

Wouldn't see it making any difference to be honest.

apart from all the cross players committing to club football rather than county...yeah, actually hardly any difference
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

brokencrossbar1

Best man for a very difficult job.  Not too many were putting their names forward for it.

ck

Joe is probably the only man to take cross on and watch the calls for him to return to Armagh next year.
He had a great panel of players under him for all of his successes but in Galway he proved that with an average panel he can be an average enough manager too.
Grimley won't last another year, Joe to replace him I predict.

nrico2006

Quote from: ck on March 28, 2013, 09:56:48 AM
Joe is probably the only man to take cross on and watch the calls for him to return to Armagh next year.
He had a great panel of players under him for all of his successes but in Galway he proved that with an average panel he can be an average enough manager too.
Grimley won't last another year, Joe to replace him I predict.

He was only at Galway a while and the travelling probably didn't help.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Quote from: ck on March 28, 2013, 09:56:48 AM
He had a great panel of players under him for all of his successes but in Galway he proved that with an average panel he can be an average enough manager too. Grimley won't last another year, Joe to replace him I predict.

Joe wasn't on board when Antrim ( no disrespect to to Amtrim ) bate them last summer.

Syferus

He was when Galway almost bombed out in the Big Apple, though. Still think it was very rough not keeping the faith with him for more than a year but there goes.

Expectations are so high now thanks to Cross' continued excellence that he has a thankless task ahead of him, anything less than an immediate AI will be deemed by most a failure.

yellowcard

You have to admire Big Joe for taking the job when the expectation level now is not measured in provincial titles but AI titles. I'm sure a lot of people that may have been interested in the job would have shied away from it for that reason.

It will be interesting to see if Cross continue to play in the kicking style encouraged by Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill or will they return to the old 3rd man midfielder/sweeper tactic favoured by Joe. Although the 'purist football team' tag was exaggerated to a large degree by the media under the previous managers, there was still no doubt that Cross put a lot of emphasis on a kicking game. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2013, 10:47:04 AM
You have to admire Big Joe for taking the job when the expectation level now is not measured in provincial titles but AI titles. I'm sure a lot of people that may have been interested in the job would have shied away from it for that reason.

It will be interesting to see if Cross continue to play in the kicking style encouraged by Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill or will they return to the old 3rd man midfielder/sweeper tactic favoured by Joe. Although the 'purist football team' tag was exaggerated to a large degree by the media under the previous managers, there was still no doubt that Cross put a lot of emphasis on a kicking game. 

Totally agree, they knew rightly how to mix it when they had to. The difference was the players doing it were younger!

brokencrossbar1

Joe favours kicking it too, I don't see any huge difference I  the way the team plays. 

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2013, 10:50:00 AM

Joe favours kicking it too, I don't see any huge difference I  the way the team plays.

Very true, though it was often based less on precise passing but more on 60 yard diagonal balls from the wings fired into the scoring zone where he often had players capable of winning their own ball. The biggest obstacle for him will probably be less to do with the playing style and more to do with maintaining the hunger. Bar the retirement of Oisin McConville the team is still young enough.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: yellowcard on March 28, 2013, 11:03:04 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2013, 10:50:00 AM

It will be interesting to see if Cross continue to play in the kicking style encouraged by Tony MciEntee and Gareth O'Neill or will they return to the old 3rd man midfielder/sweeper tactic favoured by Joe. Although the 'purist football team' tag was exaggerated to a large degree by the media under the previous managers, there was still no doubt that Cross put a lot of emphasis on a kicking game.

Very true, though it was often based less on precise passing but more on 60 yard diagonal balls from the wings fired into the scoring zone where he often had players capable of winning their own ball. The biggest obstacle for him will probably be less to do with the playing style and more to do with maintaining the hunger. Bar the retirement of Oisin McConville the team is still young enough.

I doubt hunger will be a factor.   Pain of defeat is a great motivation.

BartSimpson

guwan the parish

Christmas Lights

Quote from: BartSimpson on March 28, 2013, 11:29:52 AM
Huge for Cross, great appointment and will succeed.

Think its a bad move actually.  Done great with Cross in the pasrt, unbeliveable in fact.  Anything less could tarish his legacy at the club.

Count 10

Think he will do a great job.....again, can't see anyone stopping them in Armagh this year.

ranch

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on March 28, 2013, 07:05:30 AM
Quote from: ranch on March 28, 2013, 02:39:05 AM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 28, 2013, 12:29:28 AM
Wonder what impact this is going to have on Grimley's Armagh.

Wouldn't see it making any difference to be honest.

apart from all the cross players committing to club football rather than county...yeah, actually hardly any difference

Yeah because that's what will happen. Aaron and Tony Kernan probably can't wait to leave the panel now I'm sure.

Catch yourself on.