Tony McEntee and Gareth O'Neill have stepped down as joint managers of the Cross

Started by our_fella, March 06, 2013, 10:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghgeddon

Not really, McEntee said he was leaving regardless of if they won or not.

orangeman

Apparently they had told the team win, losr or draw they were gone.

No surprise.

Nothing to prove.

Syferus

They did a very good job with a very good squad.

Maybe ye should have held on to Paddy for an few extra months?  :D

StGallsGAA

ranch

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 06, 2013, 11:08:47 PM
Should we expect Armagh co board to come looking for them??

I wouldn't think it's too likely in the next couple of years. Maybe a good shout after Grimley.

I wonder would McConville be tempted to become the manager of Cross now, or does he maybe feel it's too soon and would prefer a year or two away from it?
John McEntee stepped down from Cullaville recently, so he's probably the obvious favourite. Although I heard he turned down a very generous offer to manage Burren this year as he was taking a year out.

Orior

Very hard act to follow. Good luck in their retirement - will Tony go back to the horses?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

No club managers had as many unbeaten club games in sequence as Tony and Gareth.
Let's hope the next manager(s) do as well!

QuoteI wonder would McConville be tempted to become the manager of Cross now

Oisin seemed clear in interviews that he wouldn't manage just yet.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ranch

Quote from: armaghniac on March 06, 2013, 11:52:33 PM
No club managers had as many unbeaten club games in sequence as Tony and Gareth.
Let's hope the next manager(s) do as well!

QuoteI wonder would McConville be tempted to become the manager of Cross now

Oisin seemed clear in interviews that he wouldn't manage just yet.

Yeah I don't think he will either.

He knows he still has a good team there though, unlikely to have an opportunity like it again?

LeoMc

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 06, 2013, 10:55:15 PM
Not really, McEntee said he was leaving regardless of if they won or not.

Difficult to walk away but the right call. The two lads will be aware as anyone of the risks of staleness setting in and it will do the team no harm to be exposed to different voices and ideas.

armaghniac

QuoteHe knows he still has a good team there though, unlikely to have an opportunity like it again?

If Oisin wished to put his hat in the ring in the future, he'd have every chance and would still have a good team!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Corkey22

Apparantly McEntee is to now start coaching some of the juvenile teams in Cross. You don't see too many top managers doing that nowadays, good to see its not all about the ego with him

supersub

Widely known around here that they would be stepping down whenever Cross' season ended.

Linking it to the Garda is nonsense. It may have had an affect on the club as a whole but certainly not this one decision - made long ago.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Declan on March 07, 2013, 08:31:23 AM
Go on BC1 step up to the plate

Unfortunately I am already helping build another black and amber dynasty but even if I was available I would have to give up my true GAA love....posting on here  ;D

Anyway the lads deserve huge credit for what they have done and I would imagine that they will not get involved with a club senior team again.  I think they would find it very difficult to do.  The search now for a new manager will be interesting.