Armagh v Longford - Athletic Grounds Sat 2 Mar at 7pm (Live on Setanta)

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 25, 2013, 01:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: Rossfan on March 02, 2013, 08:56:31 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 02, 2013, 08:54:31 PM
. But I'm disgusted at the cynical fouling by Armagh and the clear denial of two goals by thuggish tackles. It pisses me off to see it.

Those deliberate rugby tackles to stop a goal need to be a red card and a penalty no matter where the foul occurs.
Did the Armagh fb get 2 yellows??

The first one wasn't even a booking. Awful match to watch. Also don't agree on the comments on Clarke, he seemed to stop playing after 15 minutes and was only interested in goals after that.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Shamrock Shore

T Fearon

Not good tonight. (Apart from the fact that I was on Boylesports highly generous 7/4 Jamie Clarke to score a goal at anytime!).Armagh seem incapable of putting two good halves together in the same match,Longford should have had a penalty,and the full back line needs sorted quickly otherwise the Paddy O'Rourke era will seem like a golden age! Thought Lavery and Harold had good games.

Throw ball

Thought Armagh were very poor. If I was a Longford supporter I would not be happy with the fouls on the players clear on goal but nearly every defender, Longford included, would do the same.

Armaghgeddon

I would have been pissed off if Armagh had been done out of two possible goals like Longford were today, Armagh did make some tackles that were cynical but were within the rules. Also Longford were not angels on the pitch either.

Although Armagh are poor at the moment scoring 6-16 in two games isn't so bad.

crossfire

Quote from: David McKeown on March 02, 2013, 09:13:47 PM
. But I'm disgusted at the cynical fouling by Armagh and the clear denial of two goals by thuggish tackles. It pisses me off to see it.

Those deliberate rugby tackles to stop a goal need to be a red card and a penalty no matter where the foul occurs.

The first one wasn't even a booking. Awful match to watch. Also don't agree on the comments on Clarke, he seemed to stop playing after 15 minutes and was only interested in goals after that.

My god you are very hard to please ::)

T Fearon

But conceding 5-17 in the same two games is bad,and against Wexford and Longford at home!

orangeman

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 02, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

Longford player punching Lavery in the ribs on the sideline was the most cynical thuggish thing that happened at that match

Where was Kieran Mc Keever when this was going on ? He'd have sorted him out.

T Fearon

Mc Keever sorted someone out near the end and got a yellow card.Also one of the Longford players hit an Armagh offiicial as he ran onto the pitch to deliver instructions to Donaghy.

regal

Thanks for the updates lads. I presume Toner was still injured from last week. Anything other than a win tonight would have been a disaster to be honest, so we should take the win and move on. Full back line needs strengthened (as everyone knows) - how did morgan play when he came on & any word on andy mallon?? The forwards seemed to lack a clinical edge with forwards going for goals when points were required to kill the game.

The Insider

3 games lost by a total of 5 points, felt we would be in trouble from the throw in when i saw who match up with Jamie Clarke from the throw in , this lad not known for his marking ability,excellent with ball coming out of defence though, Dermot Brady did much better . Again our midfield was a shambles for large parts of the game. Colm P made a huge difference in 2nd half, with Declan Reilly nearing a return and hopefully Paul Barden working his way back to match fitness things may soon get better. Best of luck to the U-21s who face the might of Dublin on Wednesday night

Armamike

Poor display from Armagh especially second half. Don't look well drilled, nor what to do in possession. The team don't work hard enough when they don't have the ball to close people down and win it back. Full back line is too exposed and not good enough to go man to man. Jamie Clarke is a genius.
That's just, like your opinion man.

pbat

Longford player punching Lavery in the ribs on the sideline was the most cynical thuggish thing that happened at that match

Armaghgeddon, as an Armagh supporter for years, shit like your above quote only embarrasses the county. James Lavery acted like a complete Ballbag with his poxy dive when he got his ribs tickled. I question is this the same hard man that tries to bully young fellas when playing for Maghery but cows away from the tough stuff when required like tonight.

Shamrock Shore I completely understand where you are coming from with the cynical following, its not pretty but it is effective. You cant blame a player for doing it when there is no punishment for it and I am sure if Jamie Clarke was bearing down on goal you would rather your corner back stop him by whatever means.

This is an issue for the GAA to resolve but until they do we have to except it from Armagh and every other county also.

Shamrock Shore

I know what you are saying Pbat. It's the whole Thierry Henry handball scenario and would I have any qualms about Longford defenders poleaxing an opponent on a clear path to goals. It's a hard one to give an honest answer to but I would most likely say' feck it, dems the breaks'. But I wouldn't be happy about it - like yourself. I believe in winning, of course, but not at all costs.

It's been a tough three games to stomach. We are not getting the rub of the green and the sideline is not helping matters. 3 games lost by a sum total of 5 points (I think Insider pointed this out) and a swift return to Div 3 looks certain. But all is not lost and with the return of the Elder and Less Elder Barden we may get a lifeline - depending on the others.

Thankfully we have Laois coming up so a handy 2 points there  ;)

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: pbat on March 03, 2013, 02:36:15 AM

Armaghgeddon, as an Armagh supporter for years, shit like your above quote only embarrasses the county. James Lavery acted like a complete Ballbag with his poxy dive when he got his ribs tickled. I question is this the same hard man that tries to bully young fellas when playing for Maghery but cows away from the tough stuff when required like tonight.

Shamrock Shore I completely understand where you are coming from with the cynical following, its not pretty but it is effective. You cant blame a player for doing it when there is no punishment for it and I am sure if Jamie Clarke was bearing down on goal you would rather your corner back stop him by whatever means.

This is an issue for the GAA to resolve but until they do we have to except it from Armagh and every other county also.

I wasn't shouting for the player to be sent off or for a free to be given. I was pointing out that the intentional striking of a player was also a thuggish act.