Keith Gillespie now favours All Ireland soccer team!

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2013, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I suppose this will herald a picket by Willie Frazer of at least one Longford Town game this year. ;D

Maguire01

@KeithGillespie7: Was asked by reporters as regards an all Ireland team and said that it works in rugby but couldn't see it happening in football

@KeithGillespie7: As usual the reporter tries to sensationalise the story so don't read into it too much

Main Street

Keith's denials won't save him from the wrath of Willie and his travelling band of merry fascists.
Someone help -   Save Longford from Willie!

SPORTSWRITER Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh
"Keith used the words said. Nothing more, nothing less."

http://www.ciarano.me/post/43926945022/gillespie-why-cant-football-follow-rugby-and-unite

Gillespie - why can't football follow rugby and unite?
KEITH Gillespie says it is 'disappointing' that the island of Ireland can't come together on the soccer field as they do in rugby.
The 86-times capped ex-northern Ireland international was proud to play for his country, and one day hopes to manage them – but he admits joining with the republic of Ireland team would make for a stronger and more competitive team on the international scene.

Giovanni Trapattoni's men qualified for Euro 2012 – a first major tournament in 10 years, while northern Ireland have not featured at a major finals since 1986.

"It's crazy why one sport can do it and another can't", claimed Gillespie.

"It's great that the Irish rugby team have such a mix from all over and Ulster are doing particularly well at the minuet in the European Cup.

"But I suppose it is just politics and it will probably never happen.

"It would definitely have made both countries stronger over the years so it's disappointing."

stew

George Best, a true blue for five minutes wanted an Irish team, it makes sense to everyone except the neanderthals, especially the one's up north.

I think we should forget about flying flags and singing anthems and just go out and play for the Country, the whole country, if i was a rugby head from the north and a Prod I probably wouldn't want to hear the irish National Anthem blaring out, the solution, feck them all and do without!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

michaelg

Quote from: stew on February 25, 2013, 06:07:50 PM
George Best, a true blue for five minutes wanted an Irish team, it makes sense to everyone except the neanderthals, especially the one's up north.

I think we should forget about flying flags and singing anthems and just go out and play for the Country, the whole country, if i was a rugby head from the north and a Prod I probably wouldn't want to hear the irish National Anthem blaring out, the solution, feck them all and do without!
I'm a unionist with a small u.  Not voted since GFA (Yes vote by the way) and would vote Alliance if push came to shove.  The thing is I am a big supporter of the NI football team and resent being called a neanderthal for being so.  I have always gone to matches and want to continue to do so.
I do take your point re anthems / flags etc.  There should be no GSTQ at WP for NI football matches, nor should there be the Soldiers Song at Lansdowne Road for rugby internationals, or the Aviva, as I believe we are now meant to call it.

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on February 25, 2013, 09:16:00 PM

I'm a unionist with a small u.  Not voted since GFA (Yes vote by the way) and would vote Alliance if push came to shove.  The thing is I am a big supporter of the NI football team and resent being called a neanderthal for being so.  I have always gone to matches and want to continue to do so.
I do take your point re anthems / flags etc.  There should be no GSTQ at WP for NI football matches, nor should there be the Soldiers Song at Lansdowne Road for rugby internationals, or the Aviva, as I believe we are now meant to call it.

Hmmm, interesting. What is your view on the playing of our national anthem at Gaelic matches?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

From the Bunker

This debate is old hat! Beside the minor problems of Anthems and symbols. There is the major problem of Jobs for the boys halved. The unification of both Leagues. The chances of Northern Irish players making the team. Being honest Northern Irish fans would lose everything, their home ground, their anthem, their players (most who would never be good enough to play in an All Ireland team). While the Republic would gain 2 or 3 players, maintain their home ground and end up pussy footing on anthems like the Rugby. Leave well enough alone!  :-\

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on February 25, 2013, 10:07:53 PM

Hmmm, interesting. What is your view on the playing of our national anthem at Gaelic matches?
Don't have an issue with that at all, just don't see the point.  Particularly, if GAA is wanting to attract unionists / protestants to play Gaelic games.

stew

Michael, not all northern  supporters are neanderthals obviously and I did not mean that you were one, that said the northern team has their fair share to be sure.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Worker

There is a de facto all ireland team in soccer at the minute, no need to change and bring troublemakers on board.

rodney trotter

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2013, 10:15:59 PM
This debate is old hat! Beside the minor problems of Anthems and symbols. There is the major problem of Jobs for the boys halved. The unification of both Leagues. The chances of Northern Irish players making the team. Being honest Northern Irish fans would lose everything, their home ground, their anthem, their players (most who would never be good enough to play in an All Ireland team). ]

They clearly would make the team, Gibson, McGlean, Wilson :)

And to be honest a few from the current Northern team would make the squad/team too. Johnny Evans would be starting,Aaron Hughes would problay be starting aswell Chris Brunt would be in the squad, Steve Davis would be in the squad aswell.

michaelg

Quote from: stew on February 25, 2013, 10:19:09 PM

Michael, not all northern  supporters are neanderthals obviously and I did not mean that you were one, that said the northern team has their fair share to be sure.
Fair share admittedly.  However, the same could be said for some supporters of the ROI team - Particularly those from Northern Ireland. 

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 25, 2013, 10:25:14 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2013, 10:15:59 PM
This debate is old hat! Beside the minor problems of Anthems and symbols. There is the major problem of Jobs for the boys halved. The unification of both Leagues. The chances of Northern Irish players making the team. Being honest Northern Irish fans would lose everything, their home ground, their anthem, their players (most who would never be good enough to play in an All Ireland team). ]

They clearly would make the team, Gibson, McGlean, Wilson :)

And to be honest a few from the current Northern team would make the squad/team too. Johnny Evans would be starting,Aaron Hughes would problay be starting aswell Chris Brunt would be in the squad, Steve Davis would be in the squad aswell.

McGlean is crap mate  :D

michaelg

Quote from: The Worker on February 25, 2013, 10:22:54 PM
There is a de facto all ireland team in soccer at the minute, no need to change and bring troublemakers on board.
There is not a de facto all Ireland team - It would be fairer to say that there is a team made up of Irish born players from a nationalist background.  To date, to the best of my knowledge, approaches have not been made to young up and coming Northern Irish players from a protestant / unionist background.

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!