NHL 2013

Started by Milltown Row2, February 23, 2013, 07:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Good win for Galway alright even though Kilkenny were missing a few. Galway missing a few as well with the Thomas's lads unavailable. We really seem to be able to plunder goals from Kilkenny (and they had their first choice full-back line out yesterday) but we haven't been scoring a huge amount of points from play against them recently. Something that will have to be fixed as you can't rely on goals every day to beat them. Big plus for Galway was the display of Joseph Cooney at centre-back who was dominant throughout. Tony Og's position may be under threat as he didn't have the best games in the two All-Ireland finals last year and I think Anthony Cunningham is looking for alternatives there.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
Good win for Galway alright even though Kilkenny were missing a few. Galway missing a few as well with the Thomas's lads unavailable. We really seem to be able to plunder goals from Kilkenny (and they had their first choice full-back line out yesterday) but we haven't been scoring a huge amount of points from play against them recently. Something that will have to be fixed as you can't rely on goals every day to beat them. Big plus for Galway was the display of Joseph Cooney at centre-back who was dominant throughout. Tony Og's position may be under threat as he didn't have the best games in the two All-Ireland finals last year and I think Anthony Cunningham is looking for alternatives there.
Great to see Joe Óg shoring up the half back line. Fingers crossed he can build on it . CHB was one of the weaker positions last year. We need more scoring forwards as well.

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 25, 2013, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
Great to see Joe Óg shoring up the half back line. Fingers crossed he can build on it . CHB was one of the weaker positions last year. We need more scoring forwards as well.

Tony never looked the most agile on his feet and looks poor when facing his own goals or when turning to chase a man.

Would young Joe be quicker on the feet?

Has John Lee fell by the wayside altogether?

mouview

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 25, 2013, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on February 25, 2013, 11:52:14 AM
I'm delighted we beat the Cats. Galway had a little bit of a point to prove yesterday.
My one worry is that we always need a few goals to get the better of Kilkenny. They score points easier.

They have a serious knack of tacking on points from distance, close in or out on the wings!!. You could go to the toilet and in that space of time they could knock over 4/5 points. All their players are very accurate form play.

Galway need to be beating Kilkenny when it matters. Kilkenny have timed things right for the latter part of 10 or more years so losing here won't derail them. In the last four meetings Kilkenny have only beaten Galway once!!

Losing won't derail them, but once only under Cody's tenure have they failed to win their opening league round. Bit of controversy about Galway's non-observance of a guard of honour for the AI champions, something they should have done I think.

Rumour has it Lee may be back in the pipeline sometime. More scoring forwards are needed as I don't know if Glynn or Niall Burke are (yet) good enough. A new midfield  is needed too unfortunately. Somehow, I have a feeling that this won't be Galway's year. Then again, I don't think it will be KK's either and for Tipp, early-season omens don't look good. So who does that leave?

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2013, 07:28:02 PM
I'm delighted we beat the Cats. Galway had a little bit of a point to prove yesterday.
My one worry is that we always need a few goals to get the better of Kilkenny. They score points easier.

They have a serious knack of tacking on points from distance, close in or out on the wings!!. You could go to the toilet and in that space of time they could knock over 4/5 points. All their players are very accurate form play.

Galway need to be beating Kilkenny when it matters. Kilkenny have timed things right for the latter part of 10 or more years so losing here won't derail them. In the last four meetings Kilkenny have only beaten Galway once!!

Losing won't derail them, but once only under Cody's tenure have they failed to win their opening league round. Bit of controversy about Galway's non-observance of a guard of honour for the AI champions, something they should have done I think.

Rumour has it Lee may be back in the pipeline sometime. More scoring forwards are needed as I don't know if Glynn or Niall Burke are (yet) good enough. A new midfield  is needed too unfortunately. Somehow, I have a feeling that this won't be Galway's year. Then again, I don't think it will be KK's either and for Tipp, early-season omens don't look good. So who does that leave?
What is the story with lar na pairce Mou? I thought Tannian would hold on to his place. Any Ml Coleman clones out Abbey direction ?

GalwayBayBoy

I think it's safe to say that one of those three will win the All-Ireland.

mouview

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2013, 10:56:32 PM

Based solely on this weekend's games you wouldn't have Tipp ahead of either Cork, Clare or Waterford.

No midfielders a-la Coleman is mor an trua, (oh, to have him again!), sadly Brian Fla isn't of the same ilk, as yet anyway. Tan appears to have forgotten the things that made him so effective last year and even during his best moments his use of the ball was suspect. I just don't think he wants success badly enough or has the outright discipline to achieve this.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2013, 11:46:47 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 25, 2013, 10:56:32 PM

Based solely on this weekend's games you wouldn't have Tipp ahead of either Cork, Clare or Waterford.

First game of the league. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. Teams are at different stages depending on training, some target a good league campaign, others will be happy just to keep their powder dry and avoid relegation.

Asal Mor

A good few of the Kilkenny lads had a night on the town in Galway on Saturday night. That's the way the league is. I'd be very surprised too if the All - Ireland winners don't come from KK, Tipp or Galway.

The forwards struggled to score at times but we were missing Donnellan, David Burke, Conor Cooney and James Regan as well. I'd expect the first 3 of those to be starting come the championship. Flannery and Cooney are both doing well and have established themselves. If I was picking a championship team now I'd say:

1. Flannery
2. Moore
3. Hynes
4. Coen
5. Collins
6. J Cooney
7. Donoghue
8. Smith
9, D Burke
10. Donnellan
11. J Glynn
12. N. Burke
13. D Hayes
14. Canning
15. C. Cooney

but a lot will happen between now and the championship.

mouview

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 26, 2013, 04:07:02 AM
A good few of the Kilkenny lads had a night on the town in Galway on Saturday night. That's the way the league is. I'd be very surprised too if the All - Ireland winners don't come from KK, Tipp or Galway.

The forwards struggled to score at times but we were missing Donnellan, David Burke, Conor Cooney and James Regan as well. I'd expect the first 3 of those to be starting come the championship. Flannery and Cooney are both doing well and have established themselves. If I was picking a championship team now I'd say:

1. Flannery
2. Moore
3. Hynes
4. Coen
5. Collins
6. J Cooney
7. Donoghue
8. Smith
9, D Burke
10. Donnellan
11. J Glynn
12. N. Burke
13. D Hayes
14. Canning
15. C. Cooney

Would have

1) Skehill / Callanan
2) Moore
3) Kavanagh
4) Coen
5) Donohoe (must hurry his clearances though)
6) Maybe Cooney / Lee, if he comes back and buys into management direction
7) Collins
8 Hynes
9) D Burke
10) C Cooney
11) JC
12) Donnellan, but must improve more
13) N Burke
14) D Hayes
15 Maybe Glennon / N Healy / B Burke / S Maloney

Still a lot to be settled.

johnneycool

Was wondering if B Burke would get a look in, he's a robust character and would be able to ship a few challenges and is surprisingly quick for his physique. Not sure if he'd have the temperament to take a slap and run on (and obviously wait for his chance to exact revenge   ;) ) if someone was to try and rile him.

Canalman

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 26, 2013, 04:07:02 AM

1. Flannery
2. Moore
3. Hynes
4. Coen
5. Collins
6. J Cooney
7. Donoghue
8. Smith
9, D Burke
10. Donnellan
11. J Glynn
12. N. Burke
13. D Hayes
14. Canning
15. C. Cooney

Personally would be amazed if the first paragraph of this post was right. Utterly amazed.

To come back to the league, the present format is interesting. No arsing about ........... every game matters . After next weekend (barring a draw) one of Kilkenny or Tipperary will be in serious relegation trouble.

In Div 1B (ahem Div 2) there will be some scramble to get promoted.

Premier Emperor

It's only February and Cork have shot their load already.
A lot of work for Tipp to do, but now we have a good idea of how much improvement is needed.

johnneycool

Cork are in a different place to Tipp and will place a lot of emphasis on the league to build confidence in a young team. It may be work in progress for a few years though.

Tipp are gearing themselves for a long summer to have a decent tilt at Kilkenny, whether that happens or not may depend on them finding a few more scoring forwards who can win dirty ball other than Bonner Maher and O'Meara, Lar and Eoin Kelly's best days are behind them and more suited to cameo roles in the last 10 minutes or so.

CorkMan

Quote from: Premier Emperor on February 27, 2013, 10:03:38 AM
It's only February and Cork have shot their load already.A lot of work for Tipp to do, but now we have a good idea of how much improvement is needed.

I don't know about that. Were we really that good? I don't think so. Tipp were just very very bad.

Somehow, I have a feeling that this won't be Galway's year. Then again, I don't think it will be KK's either and for Tipp, early-season omens don't look good. So who does that leave?

Cork, Waterford, Limerick and Clare, but none of those teams are quite at the level to beat Galway or Kilkenny. Cork and Clare could probably both take Tipp and one of them probably will in Munster, I think, so you'd have to feel it will be Kilkenny or Galway's year.