Dispatches/Panorama Horsemeat Expose

Started by Boghopper, February 18, 2013, 11:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

I've a 'quarter beef' from my neighbor in the freezer, been good stuff so far. I would guess home has too many 'safety' regulations for such purchases? Pretty sure there's no horse in there, then again he does have horses, should have counted them before and after.

lawnseed

whoa! wheres this horseMEAT stuff coming from? has'nt any of you figured out why people are refering to the offending product being "equine dna" and in the beginning it was being talked about as "additional protein" by none other than silvercrest (mr goodmans company) the stuff that they are putting in the burgers is 'equine offal' ie the trimmings of a horse carcase.. kidneys heart head meat, neck and legmeat etc.. nobody actually thinks its the good parts of the horse.. do they? in modern meat factories they have what is called MRM- machine recovered meat. which is what happens when you clean bones, heads ribs and stuff that it costs too much to boned by hand. basically its a big machine which large circular brushes that scrub the meat/sinue/ligaments off the bones leaving them shining. this is the stuff we've been eating and getting our childeren to eat.... "if you dont eat up there'll be no desert"
they all know they have been using it ffs where can you buy beef at 20stg per tonne? all european meat prices are available on the farmers journal anyone can see the stuff had to be dodgey. further proof that the sliveen still thrives in ireland
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

Quote from: lawnseed on February 19, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
whoa! wheres this horseMEAT stuff coming from? has'nt any of you figured out why people are refering to the offending product being "equine dna" and in the beginning it was being talked about as "additional protein" by none other than silvercrest (mr goodmans company) the stuff that they are putting in the burgers is 'equine offal' ie the trimmings of a horse carcase.. kidneys heart head meat, neck and legmeat etc.. nobody actually thinks its the good parts of the horse.. do they? in modern meat factories they have what is called MRM- machine recovered meat. which is what happens when you clean bones, heads ribs and stuff that it costs too much to boned by hand. basically its a big machine which large circular brushes that scrub the meat/sinue/ligaments off the bones leaving them shining. this is the stuff we've been eating and getting our childeren to eat.... "if you dont eat up there'll be no desert"
they all know they have been using it ffs where can you buy beef at 20stg per tonne? all european meat prices are available on the farmers journal anyone can see the stuff had to be dodgey. further proof that the sliveen still thrives in ireland

In 2012 the EU banned the use of MRM in burgers etc-that is when the horsemeat appears to have come into the picture.

lawnseed

Quote from: seafoid on February 19, 2013, 05:48:22 PM

In 2012 the EU banned the use of MRM in burgers etc-that is when the horsemeat appears to have come into the picture.
yes beef mrm was banned. horse mrm was not but then its wasnt meant to be in "beef" burgers i sure you see where i'm coming from horse 'meat' ie actual filet is not £20per tonne

tyssam5

Good point, had a good bit of publicity over here on 'pink slime' recently, sounds like the same stuff.

Eamonnca1

Stopped eating fast food a few years ago, stopped eating processed meat shortly after.  Now I've been meat-free for over a year.  European food production is actually better regulated than in the US, so I shudder to think what's in American meat besides the shit* that they talked about in Fast Food Nation.

* No exaggeration. There is actual shit in the meat.

lawnseed

its only a short time since the meat industry here was making great mirth about the occasional tapir being slaughtered in on farm abbatiors in brazil holding this up as a reason not to allow imports of brazilian beef, and now a few cases of bse have been discovered there and just as they were about to get up on their 'high horse' its that very horse thats wiping the smile off their faces. of course everyone knows when all the horse jokes are over the farmer will get it up the 'ass' as usaul when meat factories pass their losses on the the guy who cant go else where

seafoid

Quote from: lawnseed on February 19, 2013, 05:55:06 PM

yes beef mrm was banned. horse mrm was not but then its wasnt meant to be in "beef" burgers i sure you see where i'm coming from horse 'meat' ie actual filet is not £20per tonne
Beef mrm is cheap. Beef isn't. 3 euro a kilo. Horse is 50 cent a kilo, I read somewhere. So there is no more MRM and you need a cheap protein filler. And the collapse of the bubble economy means a lot of horses flood the market. 

And there is austerity and the number of regulators is decreased.

And every little helps.

And every LIDL.

It is not that surprising. But fair play to the Irish food wallahs for doing what they did. 

lawnseed

Quote from: seafoid on February 19, 2013, 09:42:08 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on February 19, 2013, 05:55:06 PM

Beef mrm is cheap. Beef isn't. 3 euro a kilo. Horse is 50 cent a kilo, I read somewhere. So there is no more MRM and you need a cheap protein filler. And the collapse of the bubble economy means a lot of horses flood the market. 

And there is austerity and the number of regulators is decreased.

And every little helps.

And every LIDL.

It is not that surprising. But fair play to the Irish food wallahs for doing what they did.
one ingredient missing slimeballs willing to trick poor people into eating other poor peoples unwanted pets

Boghopper

Quote from: LeoMc on February 19, 2013, 01:47:47 PM
Quote from: Boghopper on February 19, 2013, 01:36:18 PM
It's no real shock but as Trileacman has pointed out there are real health dangers from consuming contaminated meat. It'll be interesting to see who the gangsters in this country are that have been involved.

It is quite scary to think that Wullie might have been on the ball with this one.

We will never hear the end of it if he is.

stew

Quote from: Boghopper on February 19, 2013, 11:23:25 PM
It's no real shock but as Trileacman has pointed out there are real health dangers from consuming contaminated meat. It'll be interesting to see who the gangsters in this country are that have been involved.

It is quite scary to think that Wullie might have been on the ball with this one.

Wise up fellers, he claimed 70,000 horses (from the north) were exported for slaughter and of course the fenians are to blame, the man needs help, he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and the chimps that support him are almost as bad as he is.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

LeoMc

Quote from: stew on February 20, 2013, 02:59:13 PM
Quote from: Boghopper on February 19, 2013, 11:23:25 PM

Wise up fellers, he claimed 70,000 horses (from the north) were exported for slaughter and of course the fenians are to blame, the man needs help, he is as dumb as a bag of hammers and the chimps that support him are almost as bad as he is.
The USPCA came out with the same number and then revised it to 35,500 missing, saying the 70,000 referred to the whole Island.

Hereiam

Was talking to a guy that works in one of the meat plants over here and he told me that he visited a animal food factory in England becaused they use the same packing equipment and the boss in it told him that a tray of meat for dog/cat food is worth £3.00/pack and ur man told me that the same pack of meat for humans is only worth £1.00/pack. He noted that the factory was spotless he said they could have moved in and started production it was that good.

tommysmith

I worked in a Meat Plant for 3 summers during college. 

There was a person employed full time to change the labels on the packaging and the crates which had not being sold to make it look like it was only produced that day.  It was then loaded onto a lorry and sent away, no wastage in the meat industry.

Hope they tighten up on these cowboys now and stop handing out big grants to them unless they tow the line, but unfortunately it will be the farmers who will have to pay in the end.

Wildweasel74

Tommy i remember working ina meat factory int eh north, where one day we had to unpack a few pallets, i noticed the beef was dated for use for the end of that week, it was all took off and relabeled for another 3 weeks, there was already a funny smell of it already and that was in the chill. after working in that place i wouldst eat sausages or mine for about 3yrs, then again i hear run ours from friends who work in cheese factories and in the chicken processing who wouldn't eat certain foods they were producing either.