St Brigids v Ballymun St Patricks Day 2013

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummerboy

Quote from: tyroneman on March 18, 2013, 07:14:47 AM
Quote. After watching the game in Croker last night , it was refreshing to see both teams going at it & giving it everything to win. Neither team resorted to the cynical fouls/dives/ time wasting that Tyrone did last night when the game was on a knife edge.     

Yeh, yeh, yeh. That's not even worth a bite.

Well done St B. finally got there and beating Cross on the way. Doesn't get better than that.

Hard luck on BM. Amazing to think they were novelty tv stars a few years back. Some progress.

That was their intermediate team who featured on Cellb Bannisteor, although a couple of them played yesterday.

Congratulations to Brigids, great comeback. Think Ballymun's inexperience cost them in the last ten minutes when they gave away a few balls. It was a gamble to play McCarthy when he hadn't trained for 3 weeks. Its going to be extremely difficult to get out of Dublin this year but they are good enough and young enough to learn and come back stronger. The full forward Kilbride was the man who did most damage.

PadraicHenryPearse

What a day what a night!!! Anyone know where I can see the match again

tyroneman

QuoteThat was their intermediate team who featured on Celb Bannisteor, although a couple of them played yesterday.

Ah right, that would explain it. I thoughttit was a hell of a rise from CB to ALF in such a short space of time.

Fair play to them all the same, not many make it that far, ever.

The big question will be....are Cross good for next year?

moysider

All of a Sludden

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ziggy90

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on March 18, 2013, 10:27:14 AM

I know what you mean. I watched the match in a pub yesterday as I thought I wouldn't see it at home. I recorded it on Premier Sports on the off chance there'd be a free weekend, BINGO!! I have often said you see a contorted version of any game in licensed premises and yesterday didn't let me down. Between all the roaring and slobbering you might as well not bother. When I watched the rerun today it was like watching a different game. Well done to all the teams for putting up such fantastic entertainment, and congratulations to St Thomas's and St Brigid's.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Canalman

Cracking game imo. Some tension there in the last 10 minutes and St Brigids just about deserved the win as their "big names" really did the business for them.

Was interested in watching the referee Hughes given the criticism he gets here on the forum and thought he reffed the game very well. A harshish  decision imo on the sideline at the end went against Ballymun and the last point was scored as a result.

Hard luck to Ballymun and congrats to the Rossies. Ballymun will rue the missed frees.

Might have been different if McCarthy was any way fit but c'est la vie I suppose.

From the Bunker

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on March 18, 2013, 10:27:14 AM

Probably in Heaven!  ;)  ;D

But sure you,ve been there already!  ;)

Milltown Row2

I think the GAA shot themselves in the foot this weekend, while a double bill for the Dubs at Croke Park on Saturday is great craic (I did a double bill one time before) what it done to the pitch for the club finals had an effect on the games, the lads hurled great and the effort the footballers put in was outstanding but can't help thinking it was daft

The referee did really well, this was helped by the fact that the footballers want to play football, most calls were very easy to call and he got them right, as for letting a play unfold after the time allowed for injuries thats not in the rule book, so tough luck on Ballymun
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Canalman on March 18, 2013, 02:29:11 PM
Cracking game imo. Some tension there in the last 10 minutes and St Brigids just about deserved the win as their "big names" really did the business for them.

Was interested in watching the referee Hughes given the criticism he gets here on the forum and thought he reffed the game very well. A harshish  decision imo on the sideline at the end went against Ballymun and the last point was scored as a result.

Hard luck to Ballymun and congrats to the Rossies. Ballymun will rue the missed frees.

Might have been different if McCarthy was any way fit but c'est la vie I suppose.

Why play him for the full 60 minutes if he wasn't fit?

Syferus

I thought Hughes had a terrible game at the match apart from allowing a good amount of physicality, lots of bizarre calls and missed calls, but looking back at a little bit on the TV some of the calls that were bemusing in the stands made sense.

Still feel his decisions favoured Ballymun significantly - yellow carding the Kickams no. 6 when it was the no. 11 who fouled (and who was on a yellow and even afterwards continued to commit obvious and cynical fouls that weren't called) and a blatant push on Frankie that lead to Ballymun's final point come to mind.

Like McStay said, it was probably the wrong decision to put a Cross man in charge of a match involving the team that just beat them, it's not like Hughes set out rig the game but the optics of any controversial decision against Brigid's become quite unsavoury for the GAA.

It's great having won but had we lost by a point or two there would have been some very real sour grapes from a refereeing perspective, Ballymun were second best from the 10th minute onwards and I think anyone who thought it was Ballymun that threw the game away were watching a different game to me.

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2013, 03:54:38 PM
I thought Hughes had a terrible game at the match apart from allowing a good amount of physicality, lots of bizarre calls and missed calls, but looking back at a little bit on the TV some of the calls that were bemusing in the stands made sense.

Still feel his decisions favoured Ballymun significantly - yellow carding the Kickams no. 6 when it was the no. 11 who fouled (and who was on a yellow and even afterwards continued to commit obvious and cynical fouls that weren't called) and a blatant push on Frankie that lead to Ballymun's final point come to mind.

Like McStay said, it was probably the wrong decision to put a Cross man in charge of a match involving the team that just beat them, it's not like Hughes set out rig the game but the optics of any decision against Brigid's become quite unsavoury for the GAA.

It's great having won but had we lost by a point or two there would have been some very real sour grapes from a refereeing perspective, Ballymun were second best from the 10th minute onwards and I think anyone who thought it was Ballymun that threw the game away were watching a different game to me.

Really? I'm definitely not his biggest fan but I thought he refereed the game very well. For once I didn't really notice him on the field and I thought he helped the game as a spectacle. I'd say there wasn't a better match all weekend.

That said though I don't think he should have been given the final to referee considering his club were dumped out by Brigids in the semi final.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2013, 04:00:12 PM

Like McStay said, it was probably the wrong decision to put a Cross man in charge of a match involving the team that just beat them, it's not like Hughes set out rig the game but the optics of any decision against Brigid's become quite unsavoury for the GAA.

Really? I'm definitely not his biggest fan but I thought he refereed the game very well. For once I didn't really notice him on the field and I thought he helped the game as a spectacle. I'd say there wasn't a better match all weekend.

That said though I don't think he should have been given the final to referee considering his club were dumped out by Brigids in the semi final.

That sentiment was widespread at the match. Like I said, some of the fouls that didn't make any sense in the stand did when you saw them on tv. It doesn't absolve the fact Ballymun should have been playing with 14 men for the last 45 minutes of the game, though.

Milltown Row2

Like McStay said, it was probably the wrong decision to put a Cross man in charge of a match involving the team that just beat them, it's not like Hughes set out rig the game but the optics of any controversial decision against Brigid's become quite unsavoury for the GAA.

I think with the game in injury time and level, says that the game was very tight and anyone could have won it.

Fair play to St Brigids experience in those last few years came through
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2013, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 18, 2013, 04:00:12 PM

That sentiment was widespread at the match. Like I said, some of the fouls that didn't make any sense in the stand did when you saw them on tv. It doesn't absolve the fact Ballymun should have been playing with 14 men for the last 45 minutes of the game, though.

Or maybe you were just totally immersed in the emotion of it all as a Brigids supporter. I would agree he should have sent the 11 off but but other than that his performance was very good I thought. And I'm saying that from a neutrals perspective and if anything I was glad to see Brigids win it.