Flag protesters cause postponement of top Of the table Irish League game.

Started by T Fearon, February 16, 2013, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qubdub

A lot of the current Linfield squad are of 'Catholic/Nationalist' backgrounds. The support is almost exclusively Unionist/Loyalist.

I always find it interesting however how the likes of Coleraine, Ballymena, Derry etc have sizeable Linfield support. Cliftonville to a certain degree have support from around the North.

ranch

Quote from: Oraisteach on April 03, 2013, 10:36:19 PM
Thanks, ranch

No problem. A huge shift could be claimed if they appointed Oran Kearney as their next manager as it's widely anticipated that both he and Glenn Ferguson (2 club legends) would be the two favourites. It may alienate some of the old fashioned support if they go for Kearney however.

Quote from: qubdub on April 03, 2013, 10:39:30 PM
A lot of the current Linfield squad are of 'Catholic/Nationalist' backgrounds. The support is almost exclusively Unionist/Loyalist.

I always find it interesting however how the likes of Coleraine, Ballymena, Derry etc have sizeable Linfield support. Cliftonville to a certain degree have support from around the North.

Good point, I know a few Catholics from the Lurgan/Portadown area who support Cliftonville as the two clubs in that area are exclusively Loyalist in support. Being from the Newry area I always followed my local side who were a very mixed club in terms of support, but I've always had a soft spot for Cliftonville too.

michaelg

Linfield support across NI in Coleraine, Ballymena etc is probably a bit to do with the fact they attract a certain type of uber-Prod across the six counties, and probably also because of their continued success.  Also, Protestants west of the Bann don't have many other attractive options e.g. Institute, Dergview etc.   

qubdub

I can understand the likes of people from Lurgan/P'down following Cliftonville, because those two clubs are in predominantly Loyalist areas of those towns...  But why on earth would someone follow Linfield ahead of, or even as well as, Coleraine FC?

Out of curiousity, how many GAA players are in the Irish League at present? I know Linfield have two former Armagh men who would make a handy full-forward line...

qubdub

Quote from: michaelg on April 03, 2013, 10:52:31 PM

Linfield support across NI in Coleraine, Ballymena etc is probably a bit to do with the fact they attract a certain type of uber-Prod across the six counties, and probably also because of their continued success.  Also, Protestants west of the Bann don't have many other attractive options e.g. Institute, Dergview etc.
I suppose the part highlighted makes some sense... The last bit is equally valid.

T Fearon

Ex GAA players you mean. Simply not possible to combine both Irish League soccer and GAA at County level.Probably best known ex GAA players playing IL are Henderson at Linfield and Sean O Neill ex Antrim keeper at Crusaders.

Incidentally Linfield are playing Rangers at Ibrox next week.What a gesture it would be for Celtic to have Cliftonville over for a friendly,after both have been crowned Champions of their respective leagues.Fitting tribute to the likes of the Scannell brothers who have been through thick and thin.

michaelg

Quote from: qubdub on April 03, 2013, 10:55:06 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 03, 2013, 10:52:31 PM

I suppose the part highlighted makes some sense... The last bit is equally valid.
'Glory-hunting' factor is also relevant I think.

qubdub

There'd be a few lads playing club as well I'd imagine which what I really meant. Dungannon Swifts have always had a few lads that strip out for their clubs if I remember right.

T Fearon

Attracting support from across the six counties is another similarity Linfield and Cliftonville share with Rangers and Celtic, who do likewise across Scotland

ranch

Quote from: qubdub on April 03, 2013, 10:53:11 PM
I can understand the likes of people from Lurgan/P'down following Cliftonville, because those two clubs are in predominantly Loyalist areas of those towns...  But why on earth would someone follow Linfield ahead of, or even as well as, Coleraine FC?

Out of curiousity, how many GAA players are in the Irish League at present? I know Linfield have two former Armagh men who would make a handy full-forward line...

Coleraine and Ballymena generally attract a decent crowd, by Irish League standards anyway. A lot of Protestants from Mid Ulster/Craigavon etc would follow Linfield though due to the fact that many people moved from Belfast to that area when it was being developed.

Also, we were on about rivalries earlier on this thread and T Fearon was keen to highlight Cliftonville and Linfield.
Portadown and Glentoran over the past few years have developed a very unhealthy rivalry, so much so that their cup semi this Sat is now a 12.30 kick off and the north Belfast derby is a 4.30 kick off. During the 90s Glenavon and Portadown also had a very good rivalry as both had quite good sides, the link below even shows the crowd the tie attracted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hHxEhcTawE  .. Joey Cunningham could play!

michaelg

Quote from: ranch on April 03, 2013, 11:06:43 PM

Coleraine and Ballymena generally attract a decent crowd, by Irish League standards anyway. A lot of Protestants from Mid Ulster/Craigavon etc would follow Linfield though due to the fact that many people moved from Belfast to that area when it was being developed.

Also, we were on about rivalries earlier on this thread and T Fearon was keen to highlight Cliftonville and Linfield.
Portadown and Glentoran over the past few years have developed a very unhealthy rivalry, so much so that their cup semi this Sat is now a 12.30 kick off and the north Belfast derby is a 4.30 kick off. During the 90s Glenavon and Portadown also had a very good rivalry as both had quite good sides, the link below even shows the crowd the tie attracted.

Some good players on both sides - McCoy, McBride and Ferguson for Glenavon and those 2 Scottish lads for Portadown were probably considerably better players than those currently on show in the Irish League.

Farrandeelin

Going very much off topic I know, but what happened to Belfast Celtic? Just I saw TFearon mentioning them 'quitting' in the 1950s. Why?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ranch

Quote from: michaelg on April 03, 2013, 11:14:48 PM
Quote from: ranch on April 03, 2013, 11:06:43 PM

Some good players on both sides - McCoy, McBride and Ferguson for Glenavon and those 2 Scottish lads for Portadown were probably considerably better players than those currently on show in the Irish League.

Undoubtedly. Cunningham's goal at 0:46 and his run at 1:25 would nearly earn him an NI call up now!

ranch

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 03, 2013, 11:17:04 PM
Going very much off topic I know, but what happened to Belfast Celtic? Just I saw TFearon mentioning them 'quitting' in the 1950s. Why?

On Boxing Day 1948 they played Linfield away. Linfield equalised late on and their fans invaded the pitch and attacked the Celtic players, even breaking one player's leg, think it was Jimmy Jones. Soon after the club withdrew from the league. They played a few friendlies in the next few years but eventually folded.