Oscar Pistorius

Started by BennyHarp, February 14, 2013, 07:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: NAG1 on February 15, 2013, 01:26:47 PM
life and death ... is not really a theme for people to be laughing at.

Are you sure?

A couple of Tyronies are out hunting in the woods when one of them suddenly falls to the ground.  (I know, but that's not it this time.) He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are rolled back in his head.

The other guy whips out his phone and calls 999. He gasps to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead."

There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"

tyssam5

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 14, 2013, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 14, 2013, 12:24:54 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 14, 2013, 11:10:49 AM
Strange how its acceptable to make jokes about a murder just because it has happened in another Country yet if someone on here even tries to discuss some murders that have happened in this Country there is a furore and threads are taken down etc.

Is it really that strange to you? Seriously?

Just don't get the double standards that you get on here, a few weeks ago a young Tyrone footballer is alleged to have murdered his father yet the thread was pulled.  Here we have a case where another fella who is alleged to have murdered his girlfriend yet the thread remains with the jokes intact.

Don't think there'll be too many potential jurors for the Pistorius trial reading this site. You know the other reasons well enough.

LeoMc

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 15, 2013, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 15, 2013, 01:26:47 PM
I know this is in another country and I know they will never read the Gaaboard but at the same time it is someone's life and death and to me that is not really a theme for people to be laughing at. But its all opinions on here and that is what makes it good.

+1
I would be more concerned that making jokes about disability are suddenly so acceptable.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2013, 02:47:16 PM
A couple of Tyronies are out hunting in the woods when one of them suddenly falls to the ground.  (I know, but that's not it this time.) He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are rolled back in his head.

The other guy whips out his phone and calls 999. He gasps to the operator: "My friend is dead! What can I do?"

The operator, in a calm soothing voice says: "Just take it easy. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead."

There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on the line. He says: "OK, now what?"

I think that thread was deleted.

Things aren't that bad for Oscar Pistorius. He has the court's best car parking space.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Wildweasel74

its strange how if it was a sport star over here all this chat be seen as extremely offensive, but on the other side of the world its, all fair game? See the sun crawling on its belly again as usual

Hardy

OK, I suppose we have to address this.

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 17, 2013, 02:30:38 AM
its strange how if it was a sport star over here all this chat be seen as extremely offensive, but on the other side of the world its, all fair game?

Strange? How is it strange? It's perfectly normal. That's the point that  people are missing. We laugh at death all the time. It's the only sane and healthy attitude to it, without which we'd all be clinically depressed. We just don't do it when the grief of friends or acquaintances or our local community is involved. That would be hideous. Nobody would dream of doing that or even be able to do it if they did dream of it.

If Oscar Pretorius's girlfriend was known to you, everybody will apologise and explain that they didn't know this and the thread will be pulled.

Now, can we stop all the po-faced shite?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hardy on February 17, 2013, 09:30:17 AM

its strange how if it was a sport star over here all this chat be seen as extremely offensive, but on the other side of the world its, all fair game?

Strange? How is it strange? It's perfectly normal. That's the point that  people are missing. We laugh at death all the time. It's the only sane and healthy attitude to it, without which we'd all be clinically depressed. We just don't do it when the grief of friends or acquaintances or our local community is involved. That would be hideous. Nobody would dream of doing that or even be able to do it if they did dream of it.

If Oscar Pretorius's girlfriend was known to you, everybody will apologise and explain that they didn't know this and the thread will be pulled.

A young woman is shot in the head? Do we laugh at his all the time? I'm not po faced at all but your explanation does seem a little odd to me. The jokes on this thread are mainly about Pistorius. (Which is bad enough) not about the woman dying!
That was never a square ball!!

Hoof Hearted

listen, he aint the 1st man to wake up legless on Valentines Day, shoot alll over his girlfriends face and pretend it was someone else !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hardy

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 17, 2013, 09:44:20 AM

A young woman is shot in the head? Do we laugh at his all the time? I'm not po faced at all but your explanation does seem a little odd to me. The jokes on this thread are mainly about Pistorius. (Which is bad enough) not about the woman dying!

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 17, 2013, 09:44:20 AM

Look, far be it from me to defend some of the boorish, moronic behaviour that goes on here. But this isn't it. Nobody thinks it's funny that a woman was shot. But what are the parameters of grief here? And who sets them? Do you really think the jokes here are at the expense of that woman's family? Is anybody making fun of their grief? Is Oscar Pretorius, Olympic Champion, millionaire and murder suspect some sort of victim? And is any member or potential reader of this forum so stricken by this tragedy that a few silly jokes here will hurt them deeply?

As I said, people have been making jokes about death and crime forever. We probably all have different offence thresholds. I don't think anybody would joke about the death of a child, no matter where it happened. On the other hand, I don't think anyone ever objects to OJ Simpson jokes. People died in that incident too.The Pretorius case is somewhere between those two extremes. As I said, I thought the general rule of thumb was to be careful not to do it when we might offend somebody who is grieving. But some of the posturing and lecturing here comes across as self-serving, holier-than-thou craw thumping.

laoislad

#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports Steenkamp spent the night, first shot fired in the bedroom, possibly hitting her in hip

#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports she then locked herself in the bathroom - 3 shots through door. She's hit in the head, finger and arm.

#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports he then carries her bloodied body downstairs. He doesn't call for an ambulance, but family

@barrybateman: #OscarPistorius #CityPress reports a bloodied bat was found - used either to bludgeon Steenkamp or she used it to defend herself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Capt Pat

Quote from: laoislad on February 17, 2013, 12:15:53 PM
#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports Steenkamp spent the night, first shot fired in the bedroom, possibly hitting her in hip

#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports she then locked herself in the bathroom - 3 shots through door. She's hit in the head, finger and arm.

#OscarPistorius #CityPress reports he then carries her bloodied body downstairs. He doesn't call for an ambulance, but family

@barrybateman: #OscarPistorius #CityPress reports a bloodied bat was found - used either to bludgeon Steenkamp or she used it to defend herself.

It doesn't look good for Pistorius? He needs OJs lawyers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 17, 2013, 12:56:28 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 17, 2013, 12:15:53 PM

It doesn't look good for Pistorius? He needs OJs lawyers.

He'd more than likely get this guy to help him!! Ironside

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Smokin Joe

...back on topic.

His family seem pretty assertive that it wasn't pre-mediated murder.

I'll love to know what they claim the sequence of events to be.

muppet

Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 17, 2013, 05:01:24 PM
...back on topic.

She was shot 4 times through a bathroom door apparently. It isn't clear whether the shooting was out of, or into, the bathroom.

The self-defence argument could be problematic if the shooting through the door story is true.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2013, 05:11:46 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on February 17, 2013, 05:01:24 PM
...back on topic.

She was shot 4 times through a bathroom door apparently. It isn't clear whether the shooting was out of, or into, the bathroom.

The self-defence argument could be problematic if the shooting through the door story is true.

According to the Sunday Times today they reckon his defence will be she locked herself in the bathroom and he was just trying to shoot the door open but plugged her instead.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"