NFL Division 1 2013

Started by omagh_gael, February 11, 2013, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

No general thread open for division 1 yet so thought i'd get one started. Here's the league table after two games:

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/league-tables/

Biggest talking point so far has to be the two Munster teams sitting on zero points, closely followed by Kildare and Tyrone's fast start to the year. Kudos to Kildare and Tyrone for gaining their points 'on the road.'

Dublin already appear to mean business this year, however,  it's hard to be certain as many of the teams are in different stages in relation to their conditioning.

Three week break now, no doubt there will be some heavy slogs ahead at training.

Dublin v Mayo is the standout fixture in the next round as well as some championship shadow boxing between Tyrone and Donegal in Omagh.

Fuzzman

What injuries did we pick up yesterday?
I see Block and Peter Harte went off injured.

Will Mugsy and Mulgrew have any interest in a call up again or is their day over?

Hound

Struggling to analyse Dubs v Kerry. Would need to watch it again. I didnt think we were playing as well as we did against Cork, yet we seemed to completely own the ball. 1-11 was actually a very poor return for the possession we had, but can't complain about hammering "Kerry" in their own back yard.

God14

Fuzzman - both Mugsy & Raymie are both certainly available if selected for the County panel. Both have indicated a strong desire to join up with the panel.  The decision however is with the county management, so it will be very interesting to see how things pan out there.

With young forwards like Conor McAliskey, Ronan O'Neill & Darren McCurry showing well, plus the likes of Kyle Coney to return in the next few weeks it could be argued that this is the one area of the pitch were reinforcements are not needed??

on a sidenote, Dublin have been terrific so far. So many options, good youth coming through. A freshness with the new manager. Looking forward to seeing them 'live' on March 16.

Dinny Breen

Current odds from Paddy Power.

Dublin    5/4
Donegal    11/2
Kildare    6/1
Tyrone    6/1
Mayo    13/2
Cork    9/1
Kerry    10/1
Down    150/1

Have to say from a Kildare perspective, absolutely delighted with our start. After the quarter-final debacle last year McGeeney took a lot of criticism, his response has been excellent since and he deserves a lot of credit for not just recognising the potential in Daniel Flynn,  Niall Kelly and Paddy Brophy but putting his faith and trust in them. He has freshened up the squad and the coaching ticket. We definitely look energised, I think the penny has dropped that O'Connor is far better coming out to the wing to win ball, very quick over the first 20 and he is like a magnet to defenders creating space inside.

You will always have the caveat "It's only the league" but if Kildare had lost our first two games we would have been written off as out of our dept, poor side etc etc as that is the way of our bi-polar media. So we've beaten the last 3 All-Ireland champions in our last 3 games and we could make it 4 in 3 weeks. That will be interesting as rightly or wrongly there will be an expectation among the faithful that we should beat a Kerry side experimenting and trying to find a new rhythm, will be interesting to see how the players respond to that.

Hard not to be impressed by Dublin and Tyrone so far maybe along side Kildare they're the sides with the most to prove to themselves this year...

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

It's an encouraging start but it will probably get tougher for Kildare in the weeks ahead. Kelly in particular will be a marked man from now on. The O'Byrne Cup gave us good momentum for Donegal and Cork but other counties will begin to catch up with us fitness wise during this break.

We regressed last summer but at least the early indications are that we're beginning to go in the right direction again. Another win should see us safe in the division for next year. Daryl Flynn and Leper are on the comeback trail according to McGeeney in today's paper. Hopefully we can get them fully fit for the championship. We should have some more options this year which will help.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

I see that Kerry's last game in the League is away to Tyrone. I expect Kerry to have most of the old school boys back at that stage. Their second last game will be against Cork at home. I'd be expecting them to try to win both those games to  maintain Division 1 status. If that is enough at that stage.

I expect Dublin, Kildare, Tyrone and Donegal to make the semi-finals. Mayo and Cork to stay up and Kerry and Down to go down.

If McGuinness and Donegal want it they will win it!

The thing is, don't read to much into the League. Counties like Kerry and Cork will be different animals come championship.

Anyway there will be a few twists and turns before the evening of the 7th of April.

omagh_gael

Already looking forward to our game with Kerry, even if we are safe it will be a rip roaring affair after the game in Kilarney last summer. 'Tis great having the football back on, even better to be back mixing it with the big boys.

nrico2006

Quote from: God14 on February 11, 2013, 04:36:33 PM
Fuzzman - both Mugsy & Raymie are both certainly available if selected for the County panel. Both have indicated a strong desire to join up with the panel.  The decision however is with the county management, so it will be very interesting to see how things pan out there.

With young forwards like Conor McAliskey, Ronan O'Neill & Darren McCurry showing well, plus the likes of Kyle Coney to return in the next few weeks it could be argued that this is the one area of the pitch were reinforcements are not needed??

on a sidenote, Dublin have been terrific so far. So many options, good youth coming through. A freshness with the new manager. Looking forward to seeing them 'live' on March 16.

The one thing we are missing in the forward line though is a top quality play maker, maybe Mulgrew is the answer now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

id be inclined to agree with you nrico, but as a Fr Rocks man id be accused of bias!

Fuzzman

Did he lose interest the last time or did Mickey just stop giving him his chance.
What age is he now?
Is he back for good from Aus or will he be going back out again?

Any more word on Coney or Colm Cavanagh?

Corkey22

What age is Mulgrew now, seen in the IN that he's only home from Australia. I thought he would maybe be a bit too old for it now?

nrico2006

Quote from: Corkey22 on February 12, 2013, 01:26:26 PM
What age is Mulgrew now, seen in the IN that he's only home from Australia. I thought he would maybe be a bit too old for it now?

He is probably 27 now, so nowhere near too old.  Has all the skills in his locker, I wonder was his inability to hold down a regular place the last time a result of MHs strong connection with the 03/05/08 winners which kept a lot of potential players from breaking into the team.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dinny Breen

Stop hi-jacking this thread. Thank-you.
#newbridgeornowhere