7 All Ireland Contenders ?

Started by catchandkick, February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

Quote from: muppet on February 06, 2013, 07:40:08 PM
Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 07:36:13 PM
i am a lowly savage peasant who worships at the altar of michael murphy, the one true religion.

Can you marry him in that religion?

of course. i'm not gay, but if i had to f**k a guy, i'd f**k michael murphy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB73Ko12yiQ

Farrandeelin

Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 07:48:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 06, 2013, 07:40:08 PM
Quote from: cadence on February 06, 2013, 07:36:13 PM
i am a lowly savage peasant who worships at the altar of michael murphy, the one true religion.

Can you marry him in that religion?

of course. i'm not gay, but if i had to f**k a guy, i'd f**k michael murphy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB73Ko12yiQ

If you were to predict the All-Ireland finalists from the old fashioned way i.e. pre backdoor system, then you'd have to pick Donegal v Dublin. I would anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on February 06, 2013, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 07:20:28 AM
That was in relation to the first three wins. Even the 1960 victory came after they'd secured their second consecutive Ulster. Not exactly a bolt from the blue. 1991 was I suppose.

Nobody took Ulster champions seriously then, unless they were Cavan. There were Ulster champions every year, sure and only twice in living memory had any of them other than Cavan even got as far as the final, both losing. In 1960, the idea of a team from the six counties winning the All-Ireland was laughable. Of all the Down teams to win, only the 1961 side had any form going into the Championship. They wouldn't have been in anybody's top five at the beginning of 68, 91 or 94. So sorry for my earlier exaggeration. Four of the five times they've won it, they came from nowhere in the expectation of football fans.

Bollocks. As well as Cavan's All-Ireland winning side, the 50s also saw Armagh and Derry reach All-Ireland finals. In fact, two years before Down's All-Ireland, Derry beat Kerry in the All Ireland semi-final, only losing out to Dublin in the final. Laughable?

In 1994, three out of the top four teams in Ireland were from Ulster.

I want you to apologise for your bollockishness.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

The Ulster love in has commenced.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 06, 2013, 09:00:54 PM

I'll tell ye something else boy, the reason Ulster didn't win more AI titles was that, unfortunately, when a good side came along they were down to meet a side from the West in the semis, leaving them unprepared for the rigours of an All-Ireland final.

Armagh 53 (Roscommon) Armagh 77 (Roscommon), Tyrone 86 (Galway), Tyrone 95 (Galway) pulled the short straw there.

I admire Down 68 (Galway) and Donegal 92 (Mayo) for having overcome the disaster of Western opposition in the semis and still winning the thing.

The only reason Tyrone won their three All-Irelands was because they were battled-hardened having met Munster (2003), Ulster (2005) and Leinster (2008) teams in the semis.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 09:15:56 PM

I'll tell ye something else boy, the reason Ulster didn't win more AI titles was that, unfortunately, when a good side came along they were down to meet a side from the West in the semis, leaving them unprepared for the rigours of an All-Ireland final.

Armagh 53 (Roscommon) Armagh 77 (Roscommon), Tyrone 86 (Galway), Tyrone 95 (Galway) pulled the short straw there.

I admire Down 68 (Galway) and Donegal 92 (Mayo) for having overcome the disaster of Western opposition in the semis and still winning the thing.

The only reason Tyrone won their three All-Irelands was because they were battled-hardened having met Munster (2003), Ulster (2005) and Leinster (2008) teams in the semis.

Sure pulled the short straw there  ::)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Funny Connacht teams had the same problem against the tripe that came out of Ulster.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on February 06, 2013, 10:07:24 PM

;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theticklemister

theticklemister

Them Munster and Leinster boys are laughing their bollix off at the above posts!!!!

ONeill

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 06, 2013, 10:12:33 PM

;D

Given the West's record since, God I'm stuck here. Who was the last West side to take Sam home outside of Galway 98/01?

ONeill

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 06, 2013, 10:10:49 PM

Funny Connacht teams had the same problem against the tripe that came out of Ulster.

With the amount of buckin All-Ireland finals ye have calved in I think you're a bit out there.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 10:23:45 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 06, 2013, 10:12:33 PM

;D

Given the West's record since, God I'm stuck here. Who was the last West side to take Sam home outside of Galway 98/01?

Why ask something you already know? Down's 1991 win was the start of something great for Ulster before that win Ulster had 10 All Irelands to their name won by two counties (Down,Cavan) in the same time Connacht had 12 All Irelands won by three counties. Armagh,Tyrone didn't failed because they faced Connacht sides in the semi finals they simply weren't good enough to beat Dublin,Kerry.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Seriously, not sure of the answer. When was the last time a county from the West won the All-Ireland outside of Galway? If it's 50 years or so, is it the worst regional record in world sport where regional sides have a place in the latter stages?

I wonder does American Football have its equivalent ?

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 11:05:46 PM
Seriously, not sure of the answer. When was the last time a county from the West won the All-Ireland outside of Galway? If it's 50 years or so, is it the worst regional record in world sport where regional sides have a place in the latter stages?

I wonder does American Football have its equivalent ?

Seriously yeah right. As you well know ourselves & Mayo in the 40s,50s & up to 1991 Ulster success rate wasn't much better with the only wins coming from Down,Cavan & only last year did Ulster overtake Connacht in All Ireland wins.