7 All Ireland Contenders ?

Started by catchandkick, February 03, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 06, 2013, 02:47:25 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 07:20:28 AM
That was in relation to the first three wins. Even the 1960 victory came after they'd secured their second consecutive Ulster. Not exactly a bolt from the blue. 1991 was I suppose.

Nobody took Ulster champions seriously then, unless they were Cavan. There were Ulster champions every year, sure and only twice in living memory had any of them other than Cavan even got as far as the final, both losing. In 1960, the idea of a team from the six counties winning the All-Ireland was laughable. Of all the Down teams to win, only the 1961 side had any form going into the Championship. They wouldn't have been in anybody's top five at the beginning of 68, 91 or 94. So sorry for my earlier exaggeration. Four of the five times they've won it, they came from nowhere in the expectation of football fans.

Bollocks. As well as Cavan's All-Ireland winning side, the 50s also saw Armagh and Derry reach All-Ireland finals. In fact, two years before Down's All-Ireland, Derry beat Kerry in the All Ireland semi-final, only losing out to Dublin in the final.

Exactly.

Laughable?

Yep. In fact, until football was invented in 2002 and subsequently ruined in 2003, the idea of any six-county team other than Down winning an AIF was (check one):
absurd
ridiculous
cockeyed
derisory
idiotic
risible
ludicrous
nonsensical

In 1994, three out of the top four teams in Ireland were from Ulster.

That's nahhin. Four out of every three statements using statistics to prove a point, prove the opposite. Except this one.

I want you to apologise for your bollockishness.

I'll get my people to talk to your people. I'm sure we can work out a deal.

armaghniac

QuoteIn fact, until football was invented in 2002 and subsequently ruined in 2003, the idea of any six-county team other than Down winning an AIF was

history?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 07, 2013, 12:07:46 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 06, 2013, 11:58:59 PM
Tyrone are about the same level as Laois.

Maybe, but we gave Donegal a better game than ye did last year

Can't really use one game as a gauge for where your county is in the scheme of things, even if it was against the eventual champions.  Limerick took Kerry to a replay in 2004.  Didn't mean anything in terms of the big picture for them.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on February 08, 2013, 03:41:12 AM
Quote from: tyrone86 on February 07, 2013, 12:07:46 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 06, 2013, 11:58:59 PM
Tyrone are about the same level as Laois.

Maybe, but we gave Donegal a better game than ye did last year

Can't really use one game as a gauge for where your county is in the scheme of things, even if it was against the eventual champions.  Limerick took Kerry to a replay in 2004.  Didn't mean anything in terms of the big picture for them.
Bit of a difference in how the Kerry attitude to Limerick would have been with regards to intensity etc compared to the Tyrone Donegal match where both teams went for it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jell 0 Biafra

Still just one game.  Wouldn't read too much into it.

yellowcard

Watching Dublin v Kildare and Dublin are operating at a level above everyone else and are the team to beat this year imo. Also think Kildare can be ruled out as contenders.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on March 10, 2013, 03:31:12 PM
Watching Dublin v Kildare and Dublin are operating at a level above everyone else and are the team to beat this year imo. Also think Kildare can be ruled out as contenders.

We haven't even reached Paddy's Day...

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on March 10, 2013, 03:36:20 PM

That's true but I just think Kildare have suffered too many beatings in Croke Park and lack a bit of scoring power up front, maybe you disagree but it's not just based on today.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on March 10, 2013, 03:39:08 PM

That's true but I just think Kildare have suffered too many beatings in Croke Park and lack a bit of scoring power up front, maybe you disagree but it's not just based on today.

You may be correct,, especially WRT Kildare, but I just think its too early to be completely writing off or singling out teams as clear favourites or also rans. LONG LONG way till August.

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on March 10, 2013, 03:41:33 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 10, 2013, 03:39:08 PM

You may be correct,, especially WRT Kildare, but I just think its too early to be completely writing off or singling out teams as clear favourites or also rans. LONG LONG way till August.

Well I'll have a go anyway!!

Grade 1 contenders.....Dublin & Donegal
Grade 2......Mayo, Cork,, Tyrone and Kerry
Can't see the winner coming from outside these 6.

GalwayBayBoy

Dublin were fair impressive today. The first half was nip and tuck. I popped out to buy a paper and a pint of milk and by the time I got back the dubs were 8 or 9 points ahead.

CorkMan

Based on the league so far, you could nearly rule Kerry out as serious contenders, but I'm afraid that once people start writing them off they come back to bite those people. They really have been shite so far, though, in all fairness.

Jinxy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 10, 2013, 03:46:51 PM
Dublin were fair impressive today. The first half was nip and tuck. I popped out to buy a paper and a pint of milk and by the time I got back the dubs were 8 or 9 points ahead.

Dublin dominated the first half playing against the breeze.
Kildare got a jammy goal to keep them in it.
The writing was on the wall at HT, they had conceded too much and scored too little.
Once the Dubs had the wind at their backs they could go long and/or retain possession and pour forward to work scoring chances.
McCaffrey looks like a real gem.
Unreal poise for a lad that age.
Reminded me of a young Graham Geraghty in his wing-back days!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orchardman

Quote from: CorkMan on March 10, 2013, 11:00:24 PM
Based on the league so far, you could nearly rule Kerry out as serious contenders, but I'm afraid that once people start writing them off they come back to bite those people. They really have been shite so far, though, in all fairness.

Would be mad to write off Kerry. I tipped them at the start of the year to win sam (just like my donegal tip last year), on the basis on one more big lash before a good few are totally finished. I see oisin mcconville has them as his prediction as well.
A kerry team come summer with Marc o se, aidan o mahony, tomas o se, eoin brosnan in defence, a midfield of sheehan, donaghy, moran or maher, and a forward of guys to havnt really played yet like cooper, declen o sullivan, galvin, and darren o sullivan ( the only one who has been playing). Yes dublin are looking deadly and at the moment are maybe my favourites, but kerry have maybe 10 of the countrys best players on their day. Can see their new trainer having them in prime shape for croke park in august.

What the big problem really is though, i think they will be good this year and next, but down the line they would be in big trouble. Only sheehan and darren o sullivan are big names under 30.