Started by 5 Sams, February 03, 2013, 11:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

I hear the greatest is on his last legs >:( >:( >:(
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 03, 2013, 11:33:25 PM
I hear the greatest is on his last legs >:( >:( >:(

Yea, comments appearing on twitter suggesting it may only be days away.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Seems to be coming from his brother. One report says they haven't seen each other in over a year and the brother is getting updates over the phone. Another report claims the brother said Ali doesn't recognise him any more when they meet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

was my icon when i was young, must have 40 books on him, when they talked about sports superstar, he started it all,probably the biggest reason why there is so much money in sports today

trileacman

I despise the way he has been trundled out for sporting events in recent years, such as the Olympics and other occasions. A shadow of his former self, pushed about in a wheelchair to hide his loss of movement and eyes hidden behind sunglasses. A man as sick and frail as he is should be cared for at his home, not wheeled around like a stage prop amongst fireworks and dancers. It's a cynical and depraved attempt to hijack his popularity and prestige for the glorification of some bullshit opening ceremony. And don't tell me that he is presented to highlight the plight of those suffering from Parkinsons disease, not once have I heard it mentioned when he is shoved into the limelight.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

His daughter has denied the rumours that Ali's health has deteriorated in recent days.
Testing Accessibility

guy crouchback

Quote from: trileacman on February 04, 2013, 12:14:49 AM
I despise the way he has been trundled out for sporting events in recent years, such as the Olympics and other occasions. A shadow of his former self, pushed about in a wheelchair to hide his loss of movement and eyes hidden behind sunglasses. A man as sick and frail as he is should be cared for at his home, not wheeled around like a stage prop amongst fireworks and dancers. It's a cynical and depraved attempt to hijack his popularity and prestige for the glorification of some bullshit opening ceremony. And don't tell me that he is presented to highlight the plight of those suffering from Parkinson's disease, not once have I heard it mentioned when he is shoved into the limelight.

unless of course he likes going to those things and enjoys the limelight.
on a side note i don't think he has Parkinson's disease, i think he has Parkinson's syndrome. the symptoms are much the same but you get the syndrome form being a boxer or head trauma of some sort,where as the disease you can just get.
now I'm no expert so I'm open to correction on this from someone who may be better informed on the subject.

trileacman

Quote from: guy crouchback on February 04, 2013, 09:17:48 AM
I despise the way he has been trundled out for sporting events in recent years, such as the Olympics and other occasions. A shadow of his former self, pushed about in a wheelchair to hide his loss of movement and eyes hidden behind sunglasses. A man as sick and frail as he is should be cared for at his home, not wheeled around like a stage prop amongst fireworks and dancers. It's a cynical and depraved attempt to hijack his popularity and prestige for the glorification of some bullshit opening ceremony. And don't tell me that he is presented to highlight the plight of those suffering from Parkinson's disease, not once have I heard it mentioned when he is shoved into the limelight.

unless of course he likes going to those things and enjoys the limelight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipn_UIy0Vs

Maybe it is just me but I don't see him enjoying himself in that video, the way that appears to me is a sick man leaning heavily on a nurse and being instructed into grasping a flag he seems barely able to recognise. To me it just seems like exploitation of a man suffering a terrible illness but that is just my opinion.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Hound

When he made the surprise (to me anyway) appearance to light the torch for the Atlanta 1996 games, I thought it was a fantastic moment. A just reward and honour for "the Greatest" sportman who lived, in many people's eyes. A celebration that brought joy to many who witnessed it.

But he was in better nick then.

The 2012 repeat was just pathetic and sad. I quite enjoyed that 2012 Opening Ceremony, but there were some low points, and that was certainly one of them.

NAG1

Quote from: Hound on February 04, 2013, 01:36:12 PM
When he made the surprise (to me anyway) appearance to light the torch for the Atlanta 1996 games, I thought it was a fantastic moment. A just reward and honour for "the Greatest" sportman who lived, in many people's eyes. A celebration that brought joy to many who witnessed it.

The 2012 repeat was just pathetic and sad. I quite enjoyed that 2012 Opening Ceremony, but there were some low points, and that was certainly one of them.

Agree with the sentiment of the whole debate here dont like him being used. Maybe I am being contentious but Im not one for buying into him being the 'greatest' sports man of all time, he had some great boxing contests and ran his mouth off more than any one around at the time, this coincided with the birth of world wide TV. Probably not a debate for this thread but thats my opinion.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on February 04, 2013, 01:36:12 PM

It was a moment when Ali stepped forward to send the flame up to the cauldron, i.e. until the cauldron revealed itself to be a McDonalds box  ;D

I presume Ali got badly needed money for these appearances.

Wildweasel74

whos is on your opinion the greatest sportman of all time then saying u brought it up, Lewis? woods? jordan? pele? Messi? i would like to know?
cause i cannot see anyone who can compare up against him,
did make his name outside the ring alot more than any other sportsman but never ducked anybody unlike today boxers

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 04, 2013, 04:23:52 PM
whos is on your opinion the greatest sportman of all time then saying u brought it up, Lewis? woods? jordan? pele? Messi? i would like to know?
cause i cannot see anyone who can compare up against him,
did make his name outside the ring alot more than any other sportsman but never ducked anybody unlike today boxers

Hard to define a greatest sportsman - not like you can compare a golfer against a boxer.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Niall Quinn

Darren Clarke would put manners on any heavyweight.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

stew

I despise the way he has been trundled out for sporting events in recent years, such as the Olympics and other occasions. A shadow of his former self, pushed about in a wheelchair to hide his loss of movement and eyes hidden behind sunglasses. A man as sick and frail as he is should be cared for at his home, not wheeled around like a stage prop amongst fireworks and dancers. It's a cynical and depraved attempt to hijack his popularity and prestige for the glorification of some bullshit opening ceremony. And don't tell me that he is presented to highlight the plight of those suffering from Parkinsons disease, not once have I heard it mentioned when he is shoved into the limelight.

Brilliant post, I could not agree more.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.