NFL Division 3 2013

Started by ross4life, January 27, 2013, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 24, 2013, 09:08:33 PM
Another poor away day for monaghan. It was bitter in the hyde and the football on display didn't warm the spectators at all. A very poor match. Lots of pullin and dragging, bad wides and poor play. That said monaghan didn't score enough in the first half and let ros in to fire over a few super long rangers towards the end. All down to sunday week now against antrim. A display like today won't do

I was surprised Mon didn't use the gale force wind to take shots from distance or dropping the ball down into the box more in the first half. That said, the few times they did they were cleaned out by their markers.

I have to assume there's more to Mon than the showed but we'd be salivating at what our first team could do against that sort of static short hand passing game, and we know how to go lateral and backwards as good as anyone.

Itchy

Quote from: CC1 on March 24, 2013, 09:31:02 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 24, 2013, 06:56:30 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 24, 2013, 05:50:26 PM
Yes Rodney. Unfortunately we are dependent on antrim to do something in clones but you never know and also fermanagh to not lose to meath. Our advantage is if we finish level with Monaghan or meath we will be above them as it is head to head that count. Both ros and Cavan are in the hunt still!
Antrim can do whatever they want in Clones, but if they don't do it in Inniskeen, it'll make no difference.

And if Cavan, Meath and Monaghan all end up with 8 points, Monaghan are likely to go up on scoring difference.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would Cavan not go up if Cavan, Meath and Monaghan end up on the same points due to the fact that Cavan beat both Meath and Monaghan. I don't think that points difference comes into it in that instance.

I think head to head is only used when two teams are level. If its three teams then score difference is used.

theticklemister

Quote from: Itchy on March 24, 2013, 09:34:12 PM
Yes Rodney. Unfortunately we are dependent on antrim to do something in clones but you never know and also fermanagh to not lose to meath. Our advantage is if we finish level with Monaghan or meath we will be above them as it is head to head that count. Both ros and Cavan are in the hunt still!
Antrim can do whatever they want in Clones, but if they don't do it in Inniskeen, it'll make no difference.

And if Cavan, Meath and Monaghan all end up with 8 points, Monaghan are likely to go up on scoring difference.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would Cavan not go up if Cavan, Meath and Monaghan end up on the same points due to the fact that Cavan beat both Meath and Monaghan. I don't think that points difference comes into it in that instance.

I think head to head is only used when two teams are level. If its three teams then score difference is used.

Correct.

Maguire01

You're wrong.

CC1

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 24, 2013, 10:11:46 PM

You're wrong.
You didn't correct me dipshit.  ::)
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Dougal

Quote from: theticklemister on March 24, 2013, 09:51:54 PM

Correct.

yeah,think it happened to wexford a few years ago.3 teams level on points,wexford had beaten the other two but it was settled on scoring diff.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Jinxy

Who has to lose and by how much for us to go up?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

CC1

Thanks for clearing that up, was unaware of that.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Syferus

http://www.shannonside.ie/sport/roscommon-defeat-monaghan/

Losing managers fall on the crutch of 'poor refereeing' far too often. They're too afraid to accept blame themselves. The reason Monaghan had so many fouls was because almost all they did, even in the first half, was hand pass the ball to a level that'd embarrass even us. More moving parts means more chances for some lad to frig the attack. Don't act surprised you over-carried it countless times, but it is telling you had something as obtuse as how many fouls each side had at half-time on hand to reel off in the post-match interview

Given how regularly keepers try to act the maggot when their team have a slender lead late on in games the referee was hardly terrible in forcing the game to continue. He's damned if he doesn't and damned if he does in that situation. The reporter just aided and abetted his version of events in that interview, absolutely 'chum' journalism at its very worst.

You weren't good enough on the day and you certainly didn't deserve to win, Malachy. Your boys didn't 'put in a great shift'. There's nothing more to it.

Plenty of managers indulge in these back-tracking excuses post-match but it's getting past a joke in this sport now.

timmyot501

I agree wit a lot of that last post but that goalkeeper incident was a disgrace on the refs behalf. No he did not lose monaghan the game today. Yes monaghan did foul a lot and often unnecessarily. But how could he be sure the keeper was not injured?? What gives him the right to call that?? Stop his watch. Add the time on at the end. At least go in and check on the keeper first. Players DO still get injured now and then.

Syferus

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 25, 2013, 01:18:24 AM
I agree wit a lot of that last post but that goalkeeper incident was a disgrace on the refs behalf. No he did not lose monaghan the game today. Yes monaghan did foul a lot and often unnecessarily. But how could he be sure the keeper was not injured?? What gives him the right to call that?? Stop his watch. Add the time on at the end. At least go in and check on the keeper first. Players DO still get injured now and then.

I'd certainly not defend the action but I'd be careful not to label it too harshly either. There's nothing different in that situation in principle and when a referee motions a lad to get up after he took a tackle. He could have broken his ankle on the fall for all the ref knows. Goalkeepers' reputations in these situations are so blackened almost everyone instantly assumes they're just trying to pull a fast one if the go down in a heap and their team is ahead.

I think the visual clock that the referee can stop will help solve a lot of these situations because whether a player has broke his collar-bone or fell over because he felt a gust of wind on his back the ref can stop the clock and prevent much of the time-wastage.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Jinxy on March 24, 2013, 11:52:21 PM
Who has to lose and by how much for us to go up?

Our fate would appear to be in our hands alone.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

sbw

Managers like mor never take responsibility for their team losing and look for other ways of taking away from their own tactics,changes or selections . His after match comments on games could be recorded and used time and time again to save people time asking him ::)

charlie linkbox

God this Monaghan team is frustrating.

When we're good we can actually produce some decent stuff. But when we're bad there are few worse.

Yesterday was the latter. So many things were wrong.

We didn't use the wind at all correctly in the first half. There was far far too much lateral hand passing and then too often just a hopeful punt into the square. No intelligence to our forward play at all. At one stage in the first half we did not have a single player inside Roscommon's 45, and this was WITH the wind. Or else we were seeing pot shots from way out the field from players like Kieran Duffy or Gavin Doogan, hardly renowned scorers. Then McManus missed a sitter of a free from in front of the goals about 25m out. Incredible stuff.

Our "tackling" was abysmal. I expected a foul every time we went in for a tackle and I was right most of the time. Do they practice tackling at all with all the lazy, stupid pulling and dragging going on? Again, we'd often be doing ok keeping Roscommon out and forcing them to go sideways and then someone would do something stupid in a tackle and undo all the good work.

Regarding the goalkeeper injury incident, I must confess that I thought he was playacting too. Last Wednesday in the U21 game against Cavan he did the same thing. He lay down for a bit after Cavan got a point but was then fit to continue. Now maybe I'm doing him a disservice; maybe he did have a problem in that game against Cavan as well and this was a recurrence but when it happened again yesterday I rolled my eyes and thought he was just trying to slow the game down. Nonetheless, that decision had nothing to do with the result. Sure we won the resulting throw in and got a chance to clear the ball anyway.

Overall, we can't argue with the result. Roscommon won by virtue of being slightly less rubbish than us.

I had to laugh at the carry on behind the goals at the scoreboard end. This was the end that the wind was blowing into. In the first half there was no spare ball behind the goals so when Monaghan got a point the Roscommon goalie had to go retrieve the ball and then go back and get his tee before kicking it out, thus wasting a nice wee bit of time. But when Monaghan were defending that goal in the second half the Roscommon backroom team put FIVE spare balls behind the goals. The Monaghan goalie then spent the second half kicking the spare balls away as the umpires and boys behind the goals kept kicking them back to him. A funny little aside.

I don't like Hyde Park. It's too high up with no shelter at all. That wind yesterday would cut you in two. I'd be happy enough not to go back there.

By the way, we will beat Antrim and go up anyway so it's not all doom and gloom.

Gold

Quote from: charlie linkbox on March 25, 2013, 10:29:55 AM
God this Monaghan team is frustrating.

When we're good we can actually produce some decent stuff. But when we're bad there are few worse.

Yesterday was the latter. So many things were wrong.

We didn't use the wind at all correctly in the first half. There was far far too much lateral hand passing and then too often just a hopeful punt into the square. No intelligence to our forward play at all. At one stage in the first half we did not have a single player inside Roscommon's 45, and this was WITH the wind. Or else we were seeing pot shots from way out the field from players like Kieran Duffy or Gavin Doogan, hardly renowned scorers. Then McManus missed a sitter of a free from in front of the goals about 25m out. Incredible stuff.

Our "tackling" was abysmal. I expected a foul every time we went in for a tackle and I was right most of the time. Do they practice tackling at all with all the lazy, stupid pulling and dragging going on? Again, we'd often be doing ok keeping Roscommon out and forcing them to go sideways and then someone would do something stupid in a tackle and undo all the good work.

Regarding the goalkeeper injury incident, I must confess that I thought he was playacting too. Last Wednesday in the U21 game against Cavan he did the same thing. He lay down for a bit after Cavan got a point but was then fit to continue. Now maybe I'm doing him a disservice; maybe he did have a problem in that game against Cavan as well and this was a recurrence but when it happened again yesterday I rolled my eyes and thought he was just trying to slow the game down. Nonetheless, that decision had nothing to do with the result. Sure we won the resulting throw in and got a chance to clear the ball anyway.

Overall, we can't argue with the result. Roscommon won by virtue of being slightly less rubbish than us.

I had to laugh at the carry on behind the goals at the scoreboard end. This was the end that the wind was blowing into. In the first half there was no spare ball behind the goals so when Monaghan got a point the Roscommon goalie had to go retrieve the ball and then go back and get his tee before kicking it out, thus wasting a nice wee bit of time. But when Monaghan were defending that goal in the second half the Roscommon backroom team put FIVE spare balls behind the goals. The Monaghan goalie then spent the second half kicking the spare balls away as the umpires and boys behind the goals kept kicking them back to him. A funny little aside.

I don't like Hyde Park. It's too high up with no shelter at all. That wind yesterday would cut you in two. I'd be happy enough not to go back there.

By the way, we will beat Antrim and go up anyway so it's not all doom and gloom.

Hope you have to eat those words
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."