Your Club Name

Started by theticklemister, January 27, 2013, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on January 29, 2013, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: AQMP on January 29, 2013, 03:14:40 PM
John Mitchel GAC Belfast

The roots of John Mitchel GAC, one of Antrim's oldest clubs, are in the New Lodge Road area of North Belfast. The club was formed in 1899, originally only participating in Hurling matches.  In 1900 the very first club committee was formed and the following people were elected as its members: Chairman J.Mulraney, assisted by Mssrs. Quinn, Cahill, O'Hagan, Benson, Foley, McLoughlin, and McDaniels.   In 1906 the club moved to West Belfast.

http://www.mitchels.net/
Shocked that Gilly McIlhatton was not on the first committee.

Gilly walked out on that meeting and led a split!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 28, 2013, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2013, 10:12:49 PM
Castlebar Mitchels

Mayo's oldest club. Named after Young Irelander, John Mitchel.

Ballina Stephenites is named after Boxing Day.

There wouldn't be a whole pile of clubs in Mayo called by something other than the parish name - Mitchells, Stephenites, Moy Davitts, Davitts, Kilmovee Shamrocks, Crossmolina Deel Rovers, Charlestown Sarsfields (these last three would not generally be used in practice when talking about Kilmovee/Crossmolina / Charlestown).

Lahardane McHales, Eastern Gaels, Mayo Gaels and Lacken Sarsfields.

I'm a Knockmore man by the way. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on January 29, 2013, 04:11:34 PM
Aye John Mitchell supported the slavery movement in america. It may shock a few people!!
apparently he was very anti-gender reassignation surgery as well
Most Irish emigrants in the 1840s would have been  anti black, anti red Indian, anti whatever

theoriginalmup

Aidan McAnespie GfC Boston

ONeill

Doire Treasc Fir an Chnoic. The handbagged men who built their own brewerys.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on January 30, 2013, 10:09:11 PM
Doire Treasc Fir an Chnoic. The handbagged men who built their own brewerys.

Whats the non-fighting history O'Neill of your club?

ONeill

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on January 30, 2013, 10:54:38 PM
Eh?

What is the history of your club bar the mass brawl against the free state forces in portlaoise last year?

ONeill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrytresk_Fir_An_Chnoic

Beyond that nothing much. Used to run the World Pipe Smoking Championships but that was discontinued after a boy form Ardboe or Murtin kept winning.

theticklemister

Quote from: ONeill on January 30, 2013, 11:00:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrytresk_Fir_An_Chnoic

Beyond that nothing much. Used to run the World Pipe Smoking Championships but that was discontinued after a boy form Ardboe or Murtin kept winning.

How do ye go about winning the World Pipe Smoking Championship may I ask?

Hardy

My home club is St. Vincent's. I don't know, and don't know anybody who does know, how it got that name. There is no known local connection with any notable Vincent, saintly or otherwise and, just for pig-iron, the parish in which it's situated is St. Mary's. I have one clubmate for company on this board.

However, the history of our mortal rivals up the road is well documented. That outfit was spawned by a pack of marsh-pirates from The Naul, who sailed up the Nanny on a hay bogey one Saturday morning in 1765 or the nineteenth-century-odd maybe. They were looking for trouble. Also women and provender.

They encountered a trio of the local lassies en route to the turnip fields and took them for goats, perhaps because of the girls' manifestation of the indigenous populace's lazy habit of going on all fours or, more likely, on account of the generous smigs they were sporting. Naturally, they skinned and barbecued them, keeping their fur for possible trading opportunities further afield in Curraha and thereabouts.

By a hapless recirculation of misconception, the whole camp of vagabonds was later seduced by a passing troop of goats and shamelessly gave rein to their baser urges right there in the corner of Woods's field.

Overcome by the sexual allure of what they took to be the cream of the local totty, they resolved to forget Curraha and put down roots in this putrid skunk-swamp, and so they did.

The misbegotten little warren of mongrels thrived and their rectangular-pupilled, slightly-behorned descendants, as well as backboning the GAA club, have for generations campaigned with skulduggery and butchery in the range of country pursuits from the Macra, Queen Of The Plough and the ICA to Eel Knotting, Bog-Skittles, and The Greasy Pig.

AQMP

Feck me Hardy, a hair's breadth from being a Dub.  I had the pleasure of cycling through that area a few years ago.  There's a few good hills there.

Hardy

A hair's breadth from being a Dub makes it all the sweeter.

Yes - East Meath has a few fine rolling hills, in contrast to the image of the county in general as a flat plain.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 31, 2013, 10:15:38 AM
My home club is St. Vincent's. I don't know, and don't know anybody who does know, how it got that name. There is no known local connection with any notable Vincent, saintly or otherwise and, just for pig-iron, the parish in which it's situated is St. Mary's. I have one clubmate for company on this board.

However, the history of our mortal rivals up the road is well documented. That outfit was spawned by a pack of marsh-pirates from The Naul, who sailed up the Nanny on a hay bogey one Saturday morning in 1765 or the nineteenth-century-odd maybe. They were looking for trouble. Also women and provender.

They encountered a trio of the local lassies en route to the turnip fields and took them for goats, perhaps because of the girls' manifestation of the indigenous populace's lazy habit of going on all fours or, more likely, on account of the generous smigs they were sporting. Naturally, they skinned and barbecued them, keeping their fur for possible trading opportunities further afield in Curraha and thereabouts.

By a hapless recirculation of misconception, the whole camp of vagabonds was later seduced by a passing troop of goats and shamelessly gave rein to their baser urges right there in the corner of Woods's field.

Overcome by the sexual allure of what they took to be the cream of the local totty, they resolved to forget Curraha and put down roots in this putrid skunk-swamp, and so they did.

The misbegotten little warren of mongrels thrived and their rectangular-pupilled, slightly-behorned descendants, as well as backboning the GAA club, have for generations campaigned with skulduggery and butchery in the range of country pursuits from the Macra, Queen Of The Plough and the ICA to Eel Knotting, Bog-Skittles, and The Greasy Pig.

Very good.
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

Never realised Hitler was responsible for the formation of these mad men  ;) St Trea's Ballymaguigan!

Gaelic games had been organised on the western shores of Lough Neagh for over 50 years before St Trea's GFC was formed. Before 1944 one team (Newbridge GAC) catered for the Ballymaguigan and Newbridge areas. Both areas are part of Ardtrea North parish. The American Army built Toome airfield during World War II. This effectively split the parish in two, making it very difficult for the Ballymaguigan based players to travel to the pitch.

Paddy Bateson suggested a ball be bought so the Ballymaguigan players could train among themselves. Soon friendlies were arranged against established clubs. The first of these was against Castledawson. The first home fixture was against Greenlough. St Trea's GFC was soon formed on 23 April 1944. The name was in honour of Saint Trea who has many traditional associations with the area.