USFC - 2/6/27 - Derry v Down

Started by theticklemister, January 09, 2013, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Whether Down put in a good performance last day out means nothing. I have been following Down long enough to take nothing for granted. I do believe though that we need to play the game as we did against donegal. If we get past Derry then we need to keep playing this system as it is the only system that will ensure we dont get a hiding if we are lucky enough to get to a quarter final.

sheamy

Yes, a big decision for Down. Do they persist with the ultra defensive formation?

Unlikely given Eoin Bradley has to be an uncertain starter.

Aristo 60

No injury news from the Down camp thank god. So we should be pretty much unchanged.

However I wonder will we see Benny sprung from the bench this time out. I think there could be a chance we see Johnston get a spot from the off in favour of either for Benny or Madine to help acheive greater dividend when running at Derry as we did more in the second half rather than looking for the long ball in. 

naka

any chance of this game being on tv
would be great for pints
this game then the hurling

Mourne Rover

It's a very difficult call over Benny, as he is a proven goal scorer who may be better used from the start for his physical strength and then replaced by younger and faster options as the space opens up in the final quarter. The problem is that he has not scored, or even had a wide, in his two championship games to date, and he got very little change out of McKaigue the last day. It could be that all he needs is a point to get his season up and running, so James is likely to give him the nod.

BarryBreensBandage

Not thread related but I thought Down posters would be interested:

Update on Shay McCartan:

http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/index.php/newsy/5448
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

jodyb

Quote from: naka on July 02, 2013, 02:31:12 PM
would be great for pints
I would imagine the only way it'll be on telly is if the beeb can entice rte to fork out for their coverage. The beeb have cameras at all the ulster based qualifiers, but are only broadcasting ulster championship games. In short they will have the footage, but not the will to broadcast it ( unless of course there's a bit of a scmozzle) ;)

Real Talk

Quote from: jodyb on July 02, 2013, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: naka on July 02, 2013, 02:31:12 PM
would be great for pints
I would imagine the only way it'll be on telly is if the beeb can entice rte to fork out for their coverage. The beeb have cameras at all the ulster based qualifiers, but are only broadcasting ulster championship games. In short they will have the footage, but not the will to broadcast it ( unless of course there's a bit of a scmozzle) ;)
Aye I like that word scmozzle can't remember where it came from,  I heard my da talk about ....  as Brian Mac has said there no cynical players on this Derry team to cause a scmozzle !!!  Not the draw Derry young players needed at this stage in their development.  Our half forward line lacks a 'cutting edge' and Down sussed out Lynn in the 2nd half last time and we will struggle to get scores.  In prep for Div 1 next year it would be good to win this one but we can't be going with one man isolated up front, at least we should have learned that from last time.  I'd say another win for Down at Celtic Park looks on the cards

All of a Sludden

16 pages in and no one has noticed that the date for the original fixture is wrong.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

DennistheMenace

Still think this will be another high scoring affair albeit not at the same level as the first game.

Aristo 60

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 03, 2013, 12:17:36 AM
16 pages in and no one has noticed that the date for the original fixture is wrong.

The thread was started on 9 Jan 2013. So understandable that yer man has referred to 2012.

I do it all the time in work in the first week of January  :o

theticklemister

Quote from: Aristo 60 on July 03, 2013, 12:35:09 PM

The thread was started on 9 Jan 2013. So understandable that yer man has referred to 2012.

Yer man has a name ye know!

theticklemister

Hardy

Quote from: Real Talk on July 02, 2013, 10:38:38 PM
Aye I like that word scmozzle can't remember where it came from,  I heard my da talk about .... 

I always thought Micheál O'Hehir invented it, but I checked the OED and no:

shemozzle n. (sl.) Rumpus, brawl; muddle. [f. Yiddish, after LHeb. sel-ló'mazzál   of no luck]

Aristo 60

Quote from: theticklemister on July 03, 2013, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on July 03, 2013, 12:35:09 PM

Yer man has a name ye know!

I didn't want to highlight the person making the mistake anymore than that Tickle ;)