Sigerson/Fitzgibbon draws 2013

Started by theticklemister, December 12, 2012, 07:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: ck on February 06, 2013, 09:58:29 PM
Would it be an idea if all the colleges in Ireland joined together and played DCU in Sigerson final?

Bit of a eggeration. They are obviously strong, but I think UCD are equally as good this year. Very strong panel, DIT are also very good, maybe not as stong in defence as UCD.

ck

Quote from: emmetryan on February 06, 2013, 10:43:24 PM
It would be interesting see what sort of fantasy panel you could put together from that.

Pulling together a fantasy Sigerson panel would be the same as what DCU do every year "recruiting" players from other colleges. lol
The reality is that the Sigerson cup is being degraded as a result of DCUs strategy of buying Sigerson titles

spuds

Quote from: ck on February 06, 2013, 10:57:19 PM
It would be interesting see what sort of fantasy panel you could put together from that.

Pulling together a fantasy Sigerson panel would be the same as what DCU do every year "recruiting" players from other colleges. lol
The reality is that the Sigerson cup is being degraded as a result of DCUs strategy of buying Sigerson titles

IT Tralee did it, Sligo IT have and now DCU. The whole thing is a bit of a joke at this stage.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

DCU is a self-fulfilling prophecy at this stage, huge numbers of inter-county players from the mid-lands go there for four full years. While it's true they target a few stars its their ability to attract all the other talent that makes them such a powerhouse.

DuffleKing

There's actually a little more to it than that. One of the key components of DCU's relative success is the access they are able to have to their players because of the value and binding nature of their scholarship contracts. Other universities have minimal access to their players at key times of the year

mick999

And I see that Nialll Moyna is not very happy at 2 of his stars being ruled ineligible ..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/i-will-never-promote-gaelic-games-again-insists-angry-moyna-29053658.html

"On Tuesday evening, DCU received word that Cork's Aidan Walsh and Donegal's Michael Boyle were ineligible to play in third-level competition."

ck

Quote from: Syferus on February 07, 2013, 01:01:28 AM

DCU is a self-fulfilling prophecy at this stage, huge numbers of inter-county players from the mid-lands go there for four full years. While it's true they target a few stars its their ability to attract all the other talent that makes them such a powerhouse.

Scholarships, free accommodation, bursaries, free registration fees, money.. Not a self fulfilling prophecy but a University that chooses to purchase Sigerson tiles as some sort of marketing ploy!

ck

Ps. Looking through the DCU team there is not many county players from the midlands! Plenty of All-stars though, and plenty of lads who have returned from Ozzie rules contracts.. They all seem to end up in DCU. Mmm

Corkey22

Seems like a bit of an over reaction from Moyna, I think there needs to be some sort of restrictions on players who are elidgeable to play

ck

Moyna is a sensationalist. He's used to getting his own way. He manages an all star team yet still bitches when a legitimate ruling goes aganst him. He's not a GAA man, he's an ego maniac.

Syferus

The vast majority of Rossies there (note: they could nearly field a team of their own at DCU) aren't getting a free ride, they chose DCU of their own accord. For an athlete there's probably no better place to go to get access to advanced instruction and facilities as well as a good education.

A few players are poached but to think there aren't plenty of reasons DCU is attractive to others is ridiculous. If you think everyone is on scholarships the only one you're fooling is yourself; other colleges need to step up their promotion and their facilities to compete, whining about the best getting better is a waste of everyone's time.

It's always fun to watch impotent rage, though.

ck

I take what you are saying but I didn't see any Rossies on their Sigerson team.
Your suggestion that DCU envy is based on jealousy (or impotent rage as you call it) is not accurate. For one college to mop up all the top stars is not good for the game or the competition.

shark

Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 06:37:37 PM
Your suggestion that DCU envy is based on jealousy (or impotent rage as you call it) is not accurate. For one college to mop up all the top stars is not good for the game or the competition.

1 Roscommon man came off the bench. Quite a few have been there over past few years. The individual who bankrolls the whole project is a Roscommon man.

Rossfan

Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 06:37:37 PM

Syf is a big DCU/Moyna fan   :-* - he's been apoplectic on Stolensheep because a few of the older heads there were slagging off Moyna whom Syf hero worships.
He was positively orgasmic ( if he isn't too young yet ) when Moyna was said to be in the frame for the Ros manager role.
The sooner this Sigerson sh1te is moved back to November the better so we can have a proper NFL season with games every second week and lads playing for their clubs the in between week.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: ck on February 07, 2013, 09:16:11 AM
Ps. Looking through the DCU team there is not many county players from the midlands! Plenty of All-stars though, and plenty of lads who have returned from Ozzie rules contracts.. They all seem to end up in DCU. Mmm

DCU team and used subs yesterday.

James Farrelly (Cavan); William Lowry (Dublin), Jonathan Cooper (Dublin), Conor Daly (Roscommon); James McCarthy (Dublin), Jack Brady (Cavan), Michael Quinn (Longford); Fiontan O Curraoin (Galway), Pete O’Hanlon (Monaghan); Paul Flynn (Dublin), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Antoin McFadden (Donegal); Dean Rock (Dublin), Brian Donnelly (Louth), Philip Ryan (Dublin).

Donie Smith (Roscommon) for Donnelly (14), Davy Byrne (Dublin) for McCarthy (38), Christopher McGuinness (Monaghan) for Ryan (42), Jack McCarron (Monaghan) for Rock (51), Eamon Doherty (Donegal) for Flynn (56).

All-stars Murphy,Flynn? both were at DCU before they won those all-stars. Nice spread of counties i think Michael Quinn was on ozzie rules contracts who else?

For ourselves two players played a part yesterday Compton,Fintan Cregg are part of the extended panel they were used in O'Byrne cup and league games & Ciaran Cafferky would be part of the panel if he wasn't injured. When your own Sligo IT were winning the Sigerson cup top players like Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Michael Moyles,Sean McDermott,Alan Costello,Paul Durcan,Eamonn McGee etc chose Sligo nowadays most choose DCU,DIT or UCD.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open