St Endas or Ardoyne Kickhams

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 27, 2007, 10:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Need to affiliate myself with a club here in the big smoke that is Belfast, does anyone have any opinion on the Ard Eoin Kickhams or Naimh Eanna???

They would be the two local clubs in the area (well the biggest anyways), I have supped a jar or three in both and enjoyed them, just interested to hear any other experiences, before I make the jump.
Tbc....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 27, 2007, 10:18:12 PM
Need to affiliate myself with a club here in the big smoke that is Belfast, does anyone have any opinion on the Ard Eoin Kickhams or Naimh Eanna???

They would be the two local clubs in the area (well the biggest anyways), I have supped a jar or three in both and enjoyed them, just interested to hear any other experiences, before I make the jump.

Kickhams would have a fairly close assocation with Sigersons, An Srath Bán, Gaoth Dobhair Abu, and whether that's a pro or a con is your choice  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 27, 2007, 10:22:55 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 27, 2007, 10:18:12 PM

Kickhams would have a fairly close assocation with Sigersons, An Srath Bán, Gaoth Dobhair Abu, and whether that's a pro or a con is your choice  ;)

Is Aodhan Harkin still with the Sigersons??
Tbc....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 27, 2007, 10:26:50 PM

Is Aodhan Harkin still with the Sigersons??

Yeah, Aodhán is still the secretary/PRO.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

cicfada

I played hurling  ( assuming  this is St endas in Glengormly you're on about) and I loved my time there.we were known as the yuppie club such was our amount of professionals playing with the team.Anyone raised on or near the Antrim Road played with them.we were the poor relation  though in comparison to the footballers.Good bunch of lads. I can put you in touch with the club secretary if you want!!

EannaAbu

No disrespect to Ardoyne but St.Endas is a club that is on the up. If you see yourself hanging around glengormley then it is the only option. There are 2 senior hurling and football teams, as well as a massive juvenile set-up. There have been big changes in both the hurling and football fronts with a clearing out of the aul hands and new faces coming on board. I'd say the average age of the football panel is 24/25. They have one player on the county panel and several on the minor and U21s. Football is by far the more successful on the field, but off it many would argue that the hurlers think they have the run of the place.

As for Ardoyne they have made great progress in recent years on the field but the promise of a new picth has not materialised despite the fact that they must have one of the biggest incomes going into their social club. They usually have good success at minor level but the players dont seem to match the commitment of the mentors when it comes to senior level. I think there is a lot of competition with local soccer clubs and the club really needs to break their stranglehold on the undoubted talent at their doorstep if they are to move to the next level.

Ask for big ciaran mccavana when you go up to the club and he'll sort you out. div 4 football season has just started and the div 2 league starts in the middle of april.

dont listen to that yuppie talk either, the club is made up of people from all walks of life, but if its yuppies your after head over to st.pauls or st. brigids

Lecale2

I played for St Enda's in the 80s when I was living in North Belfast. They were a good crowd in those days.

stpauls

Yuppies my hole!!!! if you wanna meet a real good bunch of lads, come on over and have a training session with us!! was made to feel very welcome when i joined the club, and still haven't met any yuppies.

Orior

What ever happened to Patrick Pearses that used to play in the cricket ground on the Cliftonville Road? Methinks it fell to the lure of the foreign game of soccer, and I suppose, joy riding.

St Endas is definitely the club to go for. Much more going on in the way of underage teams, and social events as well as the football. I always found Ardoyne too "clicky". Unless you were born and bred there, then you would have difficulties. Mary McAleese would get a run out at corner forward no bother.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

brokencrossbar1

I don't know much about the Ardoyne Kickhams but I would imagine they are very insular knowing the area in general.  The wee fella played for St Endas at under age and they are a very good club.  I lived beside an old team mate of cicfadas who is one of the coaches at the club and I would still be in contact with them.  They are a good club and after the hassle they had are really starting to make moves in the right direction.  The only thing is that it would skin you playing up there on a cold evening!

Midman

The St.Endas boys came over to Barcelona for a weekend: We took them out on the tear on Friday night and then played them on Saturday morning (oldest trick in the book ;) )  Then went on the batter with them again on Saturday. You won´t meet a sounder bunch of lads and some handy footballers as well

Guillem2

Orior - Pearses only field at under age level now a days after a few years out of action. They recruited from Cliftonville & New Lodge. They're on the way back!
St Enda's would be your best bet for football but their hurlers have fallen on hard times recently and are now playing junior in Div 3.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

imtommygunn

I'd say St. Enda's are your best bet. They play at a higher standard for a start. Ardoyne won Antrim junior but the standard of it would be very very low.

St. Enda's are probably in transition as they had a strong team for a good while but all the good players - Darby, Coogan etc. were the same age and are probably on the way out if they're not already.

They do however have a few knocking round underage county panels which bodes well. They also, from what I mind, are a decent enough bunch and could ,if they got it together, make a reasonable push for the intermediate championship. Ardoyne would be a long way off.

There would be more "blow ins" in the st endas hurling set up than the football one. That's not to say they'd not make them welcome!

Also - I've no idea of your ability but St Endas have two teams. Ardoyne wouldn't have this.

N.B. I have no affiliation to either club!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Thanks lads, it would be more to get myself back into the GAA scene in Belfast, its been a few years since I last picked up a Hurl, so my playing days are probably behind me now, but I would still like to get back into the GAA community in my adopted home.
Tbc....

tyroneman

Jaysus we'll have to rename you '5 counties' now.................................................... ;)