Job applications

Started by tyrone girl, December 03, 2012, 10:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Are companies legally obliged to keep a job open to the closing date they have advertised?

I know its not gonna make any difference now but im absolutely furious.
There was job advertised about 2 weeks ago with a closing date of 9th December. I had done up the CV and covering letter etc over the weekend as was first opportunity i had to get it done. Planned to email it through yesterday and went to the ni job finders link again to send it through and it says job no longer available so i phoned them this morning and they said the jobs filled. I asked why there is a closing date for 9th December and they said they dont know but it is filled regardless.

NAG1

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 03, 2012, 10:58:10 AM
Are companies legally obliged to keep a job open to the closing date they have advertised?

There was job advertised about 2 weeks ago with a closing date of 9th December. I had done up the CV and covering letter etc over the weekend as was first opportunity i had to get it done. Planned to email it through yesterday and went to the ni job finders link again to send it through and it says job no longer available so i phoned them this morning and they said the jobs filled. I asked why there is a closing date for 9th December and they said they dont know but it is filled regardless.

I would say with the job market the way it is at the moment they could pretty much do as the please.

omagh_gael

Not aware of the legal side but I have seen lots of jobs advertised with the small print stating that the advertisement will close after, say, 50 applications have been received. Perhaps this happened here?

screenexile

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 03, 2012, 10:58:10 AM

I doubt that is covered under legislation sorry.

tyrone girl

It wouldnt matter even if it was at this stage im just pissed off. Why bother with a closing date at all of 9th December if your going to have the position filled as she told me from 27th November. Ridiculous

supersarsfields

AFAIK they're not obliged TG. The closing date is just notice of the last point at which a Cv can be submitted, but if the role is filled previous to this they're not obliged to keep it open. They should have removed it from the job boards and any advertising that they had been doing (But on some of the job boards there is a delay before it is taken down) once the role was filled.
It happens a lot when jobs are being readvertised due to poor response. Usually they just keep extending the deadline. But once they get someone they will usually just make an offer regardless of the closing date.

Hereiam

TG if you were keen on the job you would have had ur CV in earlier  :P

tyrone girl

Was waiting for that comment and suppose i should have had it in earlier but to be honest i literally had so much on lately that i havnt had a chance and when saw the closing date was 9th December i thought i was still in plenty of time over the weekend cos was still over a week to go.
Ya live and learn  :(

T Fearon

Was the job in the calendar manufactring sector or Diary production industries?

tyrone girl

If it was in the calender sector you would be the expert as your so good with dates yourself!

BennyHarp

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 03, 2012, 02:16:15 PM
If it was in the calender sector you would be the expert as your so good with dates yourself!

Very good!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

;D Cheeky little.... ;D Suppose I walked into that one! ;D

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: tyrone girl on December 03, 2012, 02:16:15 PM

Ha Ha. Class retort!

Girl power wins this one!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone