Gaelic Football saved by the Club and TG4

Started by fearglasmor, November 20, 2012, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearglasmor

Just a personal view but the professionalism being adopted by county teams has turned Gaelic Football into a very hard to watch sport.
In contrast I really enjoyed the Crossmaglen / Errigal game on Sunday. Lots of long kicking and as a result lots of fielding as well as good score taking and passing movements. This is what I want to see when I go to a Gaelic Football match.
For ball retention, crossfield passing movements and off the shoulder running I'd rather go to a rugby match.

orangeman

True but club football doesn't pay the bills they'd tell you.

Rossfan

And they'd be right.
As I keep saying - ban the fcukin handpass.
Then football at inter Co level will be watchable again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

NaomhBridAbĂș

it was a joy to watch - hard and uncompromising, and some deadly fielding but the kicking by Cross was lethal to watch...
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

NAG1

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on November 20, 2012, 02:52:52 PM
it was a joy to watch - hard and uncompromising, and some deadly fielding but the kicking by Cross was lethal to watch...

Now lads lets not get carried away, yes sundays game was a cracker and the best watch in a while, but previous sundays before this were absolutely dire!

armaghniac

Quoteand some deadly fielding but the kicking by Cross was lethal to watch...

Cross' had some lovely passes, but Errigal also scored some nice points.

But intercounty kicking can be poor. Cross have several freetakers who kick quickly and keep things moving whereas last years AI intercounty champions had to get their goalkeeper up for a free.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

catchandkick

If the All Ireland club champ was played in the summer months, would Crossmaglen be as successful?

rrhf

With Jamie Clarke heading away on holidays no way.

Plain of the Herbs

If the TG4 highlights are anything to go by, the Kilcoo v Galls match was 'crimes against football'.

Somebody kicked a '45 backwards to a teammate in the name of retaining possession FFS.  And it wasn't a kind of sideways, it was about ten yards backwards and three yards to the left.

On another occasion a number 14 got possession in three yards of space on the 20m line in front of goal.  He had a clear scoring chance off either foot but instinctively turned outfield to lay off a pass.  Imagine!  A full-forward who had no interest in kicking a point.  What was he doing on the pitch?

orangeman

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on November 20, 2012, 04:56:55 PM
If the TG4 highlights are anything to go by, the Kilcoo v Galls match was 'crimes against football'.

Somebody kicked a '45 backwards to a teammate in the name of retaining possession FFS.  And it wasn't a kind of sideways, it was about ten yards backwards and three yards to the left.

On another occasion a number 14 got possession in three yards of space on the 20m line in front of goal.  He had a clear scoring chance off either foot but instinctively turned outfield to lay off a pass.  Imagine!  A full-forward who had no interest in kicking a point.  What was he doing on the pitch?

He might have been looking for the onion bag ?.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 20, 2012, 01:47:36 PM
Just a personal view but the professionalism being adopted by county teams has turned Gaelic Football into a very hard to watch sport.
In contrast I really enjoyed the Crossmaglen / Errigal game on Sunday. Lots of long kicking and as a result lots of fielding as well as good score taking and passing movements. This is what I want to see when I go to a Gaelic Football match.
For ball retention, crossfield passing movements and off the shoulder running I'd rather go to a rugby match.

Couldn't agree more. I'd watch the boys from Crossmaglen before I'd watch an All-Ireland.  I was even watching a replay on TG4 this morning around 2am after being channel flicking. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Onion Bag

Quote from: orangeman on November 20, 2012, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on November 20, 2012, 04:56:55 PM

He might have been looking for the onion bag ?.

I'm here !
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Syferus

It's a hell of alot easier to play the long ball when the standard is lower, or in the case of the best clubs, the gap is so obvious. Same thing happens in intercounty in mismatches with teams just having their way and looking like AI champions.

What do you suggest, make the intercounty players go on a McDonald's diet to even the playing field? The goal of every team is to win, not to look pretty winning. The added pressures of intercounty football make the chances for 'cutting loose' far and few between, you simply can't take very many risks and win.

I hope all of ye are as nonchalant when your own county is flying.

I somehow doubt it.