woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

The SDLP prove again they are not fit for purpose, they will do anything to oppose reform.  Things like this depress me - politicians elected on a green or orange vote deciding what is right for vulnerable women.

johnneycool

Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2016, 11:45:35 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35546399

Delay tactics from DUP and outright denial from SDLP on amending abortion legislation in NI in the case of 'fatal foetal abnormality'. The Assembly voted against this as well as amendment for cases of rape or incest. Are these people thick? It's not like people in NI can't go to Britain to get this done, why not just let them have it done here and save them more trauma of having go on a plane to England!  ::)

Out of sight, out of mind I'm afraid.

Maguire01

The SDLP are a disaster on this. It may well come back to bite them in places like South Belfast. Eastwood had an opportunity to refresh the party after McDonnell and the least he could have done is given a free vote. I know a lot of younger people will be massively put off by this. I am.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 08:11:43 PM
The SDLP are a disaster on this. It may well come back to bite them in places like South Belfast. Eastwood had an opportunity to refresh the party after McDonnell and the least he could have done is given a free vote. I know a lot of younger people will be massively put off by this. I am.

Are South Belfast people especially keen on ending inconvenient lives?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on February 11, 2016, 09:16:54 PM

South Belfast would have a young, liberal mass of voters, moreso than many constituencies, who the SDLP, along with others, will be trying to attract. Many of these voters will think that the woman is best placed to make difficult decisions and won't be attracted by those who deny them this choice.

The Iceman

Quote from: No wides on February 11, 2016, 11:57:39 AM
The SDLP prove again they are not fit for purpose, they will do anything to oppose reform.  Things like this depress me - politicians elected on a green or orange vote deciding what is right for vulnerable women.
You could get a job as a politician yourself with your sweeping statements.

the majority of people in the occupied 6 are against abortion.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 09:39:16 PM

Well that's surely another sweeping statement?

The truth is, we don't actually know the opinion of the majority, either to abortion in general, or to the much more narrow circumstances being voted on here. You might be surprised.

The Iceman

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 09:39:03 PM

South Belfast would have a young, liberal mass of voters, moreso than many constituencies, who the SDLP, along with others, will be trying to attract. Many of these voters will think that the woman is best placed to make difficult decisions and won't be attracted by those who deny them this choice.
I understand people being pro-life and fighting for it. Life is life and in my book it is a cause worth fighting for regardless of religious affiliation, sexual persuasion, gender....

what i dont get is why someone like you maguire would you strongly fight for abortion? what you gain?
I protect life with my efforts? what do you get?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 09:39:03 PM

I understand people being pro-life and fighting for it. Life is life and in my book it is a cause worth fighting for regardless of religious affiliation, sexual persuasion, gender....

what i dont get is why someone like you maguire would you strongly fight for abortion? what you gain?
I protect life with my efforts? what do you get?
It's not about me, or what I get.

The Iceman

What is it about then? Why do you care about it so much? Why do you champion death and abortion?

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 10:15:46 PM
What is it about then? Why do you care about it so much? Why do you champion death and abortion?
I support choice. It might not always be my choice, but I don't consider it my place to deny choice to someone who finds themselves in a difficult situation.

I also recognise that abortion happens anyway. The young woman who has been in the spotlight in relation to fatal foetal abnormality travelled to England for a termination, so the law in NI didn't prevent abortion, it just 'exported' it.

general_lee

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 10:15:46 PM
Iceman would you like a law telling you what you can and cannot do with your body?

Maguire01

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2016, 09:39:16 PM

Just to pick up on the 'sweeping statement' again, a poll has indicated that you're not quite on the mark...
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/poll-shows-69-support-changes-to-abortion-law-30682964.html

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 11, 2016, 10:42:11 PM
The young woman who has been in the spotlight in relation to fatal foetal abnormality travelled to England for a termination, so the law in NI didn't prevent abortion, it just 'exported' it.

So provided something exists somewhere in the world, it should be introduced here to save travel costs. How about female genital mutilation? Lowest common denominator to save an airfare?

Quote from: general_lee on February 11, 2016, 10:43:30 PM
Iceman would you like a law telling you what you can and cannot do with your body?

It already does, it regulates whether you can strike someone., for instance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Pedantry and disingenuity aside, why does NI have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century?