woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Declan on November 20, 2012, 11:10:34 AM
QuoteNobody, other than the extreme loopers on either side has any difficulty with the moral choices when they are clear cut. But, like most reasonable people, I struggle with the choices at the boundaries, where matters do not so easily fall into well-defined categories. I do envy the certainty of those who can pronounce with assurance on the moral issues in these grey areas.

+1

Well said. The world is grey. It always has been and it always will be.

guy crouchback

Quote from: muppet on December 18, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
This case appears to be more straightforward legally.

If the above is correct, then the mother's life isn't at risk, sadly.

This is really tough for the family, and the inevitable media attention (along with the horrible prospect of the two extreme groups getting involved) will make it horrible for them. But with the mother gone, surely the medics have to fight for the infant?

this is a terribly tragic case and its grotesque that this families suffering has to be played out in public. whatever your feelings on abortion i think at this stage its fair to say  that the 8th amendment is proving its self to be a bit of a disaster. it has sparked 30 years of hard cases going to court and  referendum after referendum not to mention the appalling state of affairs where babies who cannot live outside the womb have to be brought to term.

all  the while we have more or less the same abortion rate as every other European country only we have ours in England.

in relation to the quote from Muppet above, there was an interesting discussion on primtime last night  regarding similar cases in the US. the problem with  equal right to life argument is that the mother is dead, how can you have an equal right to life with a corpse?

muppet

Quote from: guy crouchback on December 19, 2014, 09:08:01 AM
Quote from: muppet on December 18, 2014, 09:36:27 PM
This case appears to be more straightforward legally.

If the above is correct, then the mother's life isn't at risk, sadly.

This is really tough for the family, and the inevitable media attention (along with the horrible prospect of the two extreme groups getting involved) will make it horrible for them. But with the mother gone, surely the medics have to fight for the infant?

this is a terribly tragic case and its grotesque that this families suffering has to be played out in public. whatever your feelings on abortion i think at this stage its fair to say  that the 8th amendment is proving its self to be a bit of a disaster. it has sparked 30 years of hard cases going to court and  referendum after referendum not to mention the appalling state of affairs where babies who cannot live outside the womb have to be brought to term.

all  the while we have more or less the same abortion rate as every other European country only we have ours in England.

in relation to the quote from Muppet above, there was an interesting discussion on primtime last night  regarding similar cases in the US. the problem with  equal right to life argument is that the mother is dead, how can you have an equal right to life with a corpse?

Can you explain please? I see one entity with a right to life not in conflict with any equal right. But I missed the show so didn't hear the argument.
MWWSI 2017

guy crouchback

I'm not really in a position to explain it as it was quite technical and they were 2 contrasting cases used, but the crux of it was that a judge in Texas ( i think) ruled  that brain death equalled death, therefore the law as it stood ( no doubt different to ours)  was not applicable, as would itt be when dealing with a living person.

William binchy the pro life lawyer was on with Miriam after this discussion and while he did not explicitly state it, i got the impression that he expects a similar outcome in the high court here, he was at pains to state that this was not a case about abortion or termination or even the 8th amendment, although i thought he was having difficult explaining what exactly it was about then.

Susan mc kay was opposing him with the argument that it was very much about the 8th and i though she got the better of it, although binchy was more convincing  then he usually is.

muppet

Quote from: guy crouchback on December 19, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
I'm not really in a position to explain it as it was quite technical and they were 2 contrasting cases used, but the crux of it was that a judge in Texas ( i think) ruled  that brain death equalled death, therefore the law as it stood ( no doubt different to ours)  was not applicable, as would itt be when dealing with a living person.

William binchy the pro life lawyer was on with Miriam after this discussion and while he did not explicitly state it, i got the impression that he expects a similar outcome in the high court here, he was at pains to state that this was not a case about abortion or termination or even the 8th amendment, although i thought he was having difficult explaining what exactly it was about then.

Susan mc kay was opposing him with the argument that it was very much about the 8th and i though she got the better of it, although binchy was more convincing  then he usually is.

Is there a definition under Irish Law for when life begins? As in if the pregnancy is less than or more than so many weeks gone?

Other than some technical reason like that, I personally can't see the right of a deceased individual trumping the right to live.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on December 19, 2014, 10:58:33 AM

Is there a definition under Irish Law for when life begins? As in if the pregnancy is less than or more than so many weeks gone?

Other than some technical reason like that, I personally can't see the right of a deceased individual trumping the right to live.
The Constitution is not the place for this issue.
The law as framed can't handle situations like this.
And when foreign women need an abortion in Ireland it's just as bad. 

guy crouchback

I'm not really in a position to explain it as it was quite technical and they were 2 contrasting cases used, but the crux of it was that a judge in Texas ( i think) ruled  that brain death equalled death, therefore the law as it stood ( no doubt different to ours)  was not applicable, as would it be when dealing with a living person.

just thinking out loud here but could it be that the law states that  the baby (foetus) has an equal right to life to its mothers right, as opposed to both of them having an ''equal right to life'' in general.  if its an equal right to life as its mothers ( the mother) right then the mother being deceased causes a major problem.
if its an equal right to A life , as its mother and everyone else had/has, then i think the point your making stands.

I'm not sure if what i have just written makes much sense.

LeoMc

The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

My reading of that is that the state acknowledges the right to life of the unborn but that does not trump the right to life of the mother.  As the mother in this case is sadly no longer with us then the right to life of the child is the only consideration.

seafoid

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1219/667944-eighth-amendment/

Joan Burton said difficult situations arise and the people she would want to see around the bed were the doctors, not the lawyers.

muppet

Quote from: guy crouchback on December 19, 2014, 12:25:45 PM
I'm not really in a position to explain it as it was quite technical and they were 2 contrasting cases used, but the crux of it was that a judge in Texas ( i think) ruled  that brain death equalled death, therefore the law as it stood ( no doubt different to ours)  was not applicable, as would it be when dealing with a living person.

just thinking out loud here but could it be that the law states that  the baby (foetus) has an equal right to life to its mothers right, as opposed to both of them having an ''equal right to life'' in general.  if its an equal right to life as its mothers ( the mother) right then the mother being deceased causes a major problem.
if its an equal right to A life , as its mother and everyone else had/has, then i think the point your making stands.

I'm not sure if what i have just written makes much sense.

It makes sense alright. I really hope it doesn't go down that road.
MWWSI 2017

guy crouchback

the notion of keeping the body of a dead woman artificially alive to act as a human incubator for the next 3 and half months at least against the wishes of her family is extraordinary.
its tragic that this poor young woman should suffer such a terrible fate  but in my opinion her foetus should be allowed to pass away with her, if that's what her family want. even if its not what what her family want I'm not sure  the alternative  strikes me as very ethical.

laoislad

I keep hearing people mention her family. Can anyone tell me is this her husband and father of the unborn child or is it the girls parents/brothers/sisters?
I'm just interested as I find it odd the father of the child hasn't been mentioned.
God forbid if I was in this position but if the doctors told me that my unborn child could be saved then I would want them to do everything they could to save him. If that meant keeping my wife on a life support machine then so be it.
I haven't asked my wife her opinion yet but I'm pretty sure she would want to do the same thing.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

foxcommander

Quote from: guy crouchback on December 19, 2014, 04:40:02 PM
the notion of keeping the body of a dead woman artificially alive to act as a human incubator for the next 3 and half months at least against the wishes of her family is extraordinary.
its tragic that this poor young woman should suffer such a terrible fate  but in my opinion her foetus should be allowed to pass away with her, if that's what her family want. even if its not what what her family want I'm not sure  the alternative  strikes me as very ethical.

The child should have a chance to live. If the family don't want it there are plenty who would love the chance to raise him/her.
I can think of no reason why you would stop something good happening from a tragic situation.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on December 18, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
You'd like to believe if the mother was still alive she'd be fighting tooth and nail for the child. You wouldn't think it from the press coverage so far.
If the mother was still alive the situation wouldn't exist.

blast05

Quote from: laoislad on December 19, 2014, 04:50:15 PM
I keep hearing people mention her family. Can anyone tell me is this her husband and father of the unborn child or is it the girls parents/brothers/sisters?
I'm just interested as I find it odd the father of the child hasn't been mentioned.
God forbid if I was in this position but if the doctors told me that my unborn child could be saved then I would want them to do everything they could to save him. If that meant keeping my wife on a life support machine then so be it.
I haven't asked my wife her opinion yet but I'm pretty sure she would want to do the same thing.

Agreed.
I can't help but feel the media stories about the family wanting to end the life of the mother are unsubstantiated and driven by a media that wants a liberal abortion regime. Even if this is not the case, i nonetheless find it very disturbing the the #repealthe8th fanatics are hi-jacking this tragic story to push their agenda.
And their agenda is to ultimately remove constitutional protection for the unborn thus effectively bringing in abortion on demand.... a horrendous proposition for me.
Let this case play out and keep the abortion debate/discussion completely seperate.