Rugby - what's the attraction?

Started by BennyCake, October 11, 2012, 12:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Totally agree AZ
When is the last time a team from Ireland in any sport won something? And made up from the 32 counties?
Not talking about qualification for something, but apart from the Irish Rugby team, has any other team given us the chance to celebrate a national win in the past 40,50,60 years? I can be corrected on that one.
The only ones I can recall celebrating are local or individual sports - Down, Armagh, Ulster, Leinster, Munster, Rory, GMac, Harrington, Clarke, Katie Taylor.
So why not let us grab our banjo and jump on the bandwagon? - if the Irish T20 cricket team beat the Netherlands today to qualify for the super 10 stage and end up winning it, my legs will be dangling off the back of the wagon, and I will be whistling Ireland's Call.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

laoislad

They should all be knighted by the Queen.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 21, 2014, 09:23:32 AM
Totally agree AZ
When is the last time a team from Ireland in any sport won something? And made up from the 32 counties?
Not talking about qualification for something, but apart from the Irish Rugby team, has any other team given us the chance to celebrate a national win in the past 40,50,60 years? I can be corrected on that one.
The only ones I can recall celebrating are local or individual sports - Down, Armagh, Ulster, Leinster, Munster, Rory, GMac, Harrington, Clarke, Katie Taylor.
So why not let us grab our banjo and jump on the bandwagon? - if the Irish T20 cricket team beat the Netherlands today to qualify for the super 10 stage and end up winning it, my legs will be dangling off the back of the wagon, and I will be whistling Ireland's Call.

Edit on last post - not including the compromise rules, which isn't really a competitive scenario involving more than two teams!

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2014, 09:30:33 AM

I think you wrote that Laoislad :D

BarryBreensBandage

Surely that would contradict the 32 county ethos?

johnneycool

Totally agree AZ

I agree with most of your sentiment, but not that last bit, that's just too much!

I like watching rugby, especially the international stuff, not so much the Rabo 12 and all that as it in my mind doesn't have the same competitive edge, due to them all being francises of one hue or another.

I've dabbled at playing rugby and have a basic knowledge of the rules and some of the tactics involved, but to the ordinary joe soap would all be just big men running into each other (although England do play that way  ;D ) and hoping for the best, which could be boring enough. The intricacies are lost and with it is part of the enjoyment.
I would struggle to sit through ninety minutes of even the biggest of super sundays fed to us on Sky, that's not to say there are other who love it to bits, but I'd prefer to go over the hedge to watch a junior hurling match.

Each to their own.

laoislad

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 21, 2014, 09:33:15 AM
Surely that would contradict the 32 county ethos?
Well at least make them all MBE's they deserve that surely.....

brokencrossbar1

Totally agree AZ

BBB, you're  sofull of  shit,  you didn't celebrate Armagh winning anything ye lying Down fecker :P

BennyCake

Ah, this old thread... Nothing has changed - rugby is still a load of bollix.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on March 21, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
Ah, this old thread... Nothing has changed - rugby is still a load of bollix.

laoislad

take_yer_points

Quote from: laoislad on March 21, 2014, 10:33:20 AM

When is the last time a team from Ireland in any sport won something?

Even Keane looks embarrassed lifting that

Hardy

Is that the only trophy Da Repubbalik has ever won?

(And what is it?)

AZOffaly

I'm sure they won a triangular tournament in Iceland or somewhere when Jack Charlton was manager. That one is the ill-fated Carling NAtions CUp where Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland played a 'Celtic' tournament.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 21, 2014, 11:12:20 AM
I'm sure they won a triangular tournament in Iceland or somewhere when Jack Charlton was manager. That one is the ill-fated Carling NAtions CUp where Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland played a 'Celtic' tournament.

I remember that now (the triangular cup). Wan't that the tournament that caused the banishment of David O'Leary for failing to turn up?