Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

As usual, after every match a lot of people express their opinions much more than they did before the game. Redhand Santa makes as usual some good points but there is always a tendency to overstate how bad we were.

When watching the second half I was very negative to how bad we looked but having watched it again things maybe weren't as bad as they seemed. Before Donegal got the second goal we had drawn level and should have actually been two up had we scored two very kickable scores. Stevie kicked a free wide from not too far out.
Mattie Donnelly really was in on goal in the first half and should have at least went for the far corner as ye don't get in very often for goals v Donegal.
As Brolly said there wasn't much ye can do about that first goal. It was a high hopeful ball in. McBrearty got a good flick on it but you've no real certainty where it would land but it bounced very well for McFadden.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make was. A lot of people were talking before the match as if Donegal will go backwards from where they were at last year. They wouldn't have the hunger or drive to push on. Maybe this is what a lot of counties were hoping for as they wanted to believe that. In all honesty, with Jimmy at the helm, they look like they are now developing into a massive force who not only have the hard work ethic, but have now got fine forwards who are well capable of scoring against any defences.

We did lose to the reigning all-Ireland champs in their own back yard. We knew our own defence isn't built on great man markers any more and we saw how toothless our forward line against this amazing Donegal defence.
I would be very hopeful we will re-group and do well this summer but I would be worried about playing Donegal again but hey who knows.

Estimator

Are the likes of Niall McKenna, Gavin Teague or Ciaran Gervin anywhere near that panel?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Beard on May 29, 2013, 04:43:38 AM
Tyrone: P McConnell; A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin; R McNamee, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill; Joe McMahon, C Cavanagh; Mattie Donnelly, M Donnelly, P Harte; M Penrose, O Mulligan, D McCurry.

Subs used: R McMenamin for Carlin, D McCaul for McNamee, A Cassidy for Mattie Donnelly, Stephen O'Neill for Penrose, B McGuigan for McCurry

The tyrone team that started against kerry last year.....only men not involved this year are mcconnell, mulligan and rice and mcguigan. All of whom mickey if they hadn't retired and taken decision away from mickey would still be involved. Only new man involved is mcaliskey......hardly rebuilding a new team. Tyrone went full tilt at a league whereas most other teams were preparing for championship so its not a good indicator of where we are at. hard to knew whether mickey is reluctant to change it up or are the new players just not good enough, especially in defence

cork had 7 debutants against limerick....now thats rebuilding

If Tyrone had played 7 debutants on Sunday we would have been hammered out the gate. People would have slated Harte for ruining the young players confidence. Unless you have an exceptional group of young players you can't suddenly throw loads of new one's on.

To me Harte had close enough to the best 15 in the county available. We are short in the full back line but options seem to be limited there and there's not many standing out at underage. We were as good if not slightly better than the All Ireland champions for 45-50 minutes of the game and fell away after the goal. Hopefully he can work on cutting soft goals during the summer.

Of the team that started on Sunday 5 were 23 or under and another 2 players brought on were 23. To me we currently have a nice blend of youth and experience. Lets not forget our best player by a distance was Conor Gormley. If some people had their way he'd have been dropped a few years ago and replaced by someone no where near as good just because they were younger.

NAG1

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 29, 2013, 11:49:51 AM
Quote from: The Beard on May 29, 2013, 04:43:38 AM
Tyrone: P McConnell; A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin; R McNamee, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill; Joe McMahon, C Cavanagh; Mattie Donnelly, M Donnelly, P Harte; M Penrose, O Mulligan, D McCurry.

Subs used: R McMenamin for Carlin, D McCaul for McNamee, A Cassidy for Mattie Donnelly, Stephen O'Neill for Penrose, B McGuigan for McCurry

The tyrone team that started against kerry last year.....only men not involved this year are mcconnell, mulligan and rice and mcguigan. All of whom mickey if they hadn't retired and taken decision away from mickey would still be involved. Only new man involved is mcaliskey......hardly rebuilding a new team. Tyrone went full tilt at a league whereas most other teams were preparing for championship so its not a good indicator of where we are at. hard to knew whether mickey is reluctant to change it up or are the new players just not good enough, especially in defence

cork had 7 debutants against limerick....now thats rebuilding

If Tyrone had played 7 debutants on Sunday we would have been hammered out the gate. People would have slated Harte for ruining the young players confidence. Unless you have an exceptional group of young players you can't suddenly throw loads of new one's on.

To me Harte had close enough to the best 15 in the county available. We are short in the full back line but options seem to be limited there and there's not many standing out at underage. We were as good if not slightly better than the All Ireland champions for 45-50 minutes of the game and fell away after the goal. Hopefully he can work on cutting soft goals during the summer.

Of the team that started on Sunday 5 were 23 or under and another 2 players brought on were 23. To me we currently have a nice blend of youth and experience. Lets not forget our best player by a distance was Conor Gormley. If some people had their way he'd have been dropped a few years ago and replaced by someone no where near as good just because they were younger.

Would agree with Gormley being among the top performers in the game, also think that the young Clarke at the back looks like a great prospect.

God14

All is not lost for Tyrone. The players have 5 weeks from last Sunday to prepare for the qualifiers. Round 1 is 29th June.

For 50mins we went toe to toe with the Champions. After the first goal we did really well to level the game up, but there was to be no respite once Donegal got the second goal. Lady luck, the small decisions etc started to go their way. They were worthy winners looking better organised, battle hardened & tactically superior. The final 15mins were very frustrating to watch from a Tyrone perspective, as Donegal had us exactly were they wanted us - in a vice grip & closed the game out brilliantly.

A good run in the Qualifiers can mend alot of the psychological damage inflicted. Im very confident we will make it back into the 1/4 Finals in Croke Park.
We still have a very strong squad depth - if maybe currently lacking some stardust. The qualifiers offers the opportunity for the lads to play 5 competitive games in as many weeks. Mickey needs to be crafty here - resting players like the McMahons & Stephen O'Neill when he can afford to, ensuring they are ready and at their best when we need them most.
These games offer opportunities to the likes of Kyle Coney, Darren McCurry, Ronan O'Neill and McAliskey.
We really need at least one of them to catch fire.

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: Estimator on May 29, 2013, 11:18:21 AM
Are the likes of Niall McKenna, Gavin Teague or Ciaran Gervin anywhere near that panel?

they were def nowhere near it on Sunday that's for sure as they weren't even on the panel.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Fuzzman

Was PJ taken off on Sunday cos he was getting roasted or cos of an injury?

Does anyone on here rate McNeice or see why Mickey seems to think he's worth his place?

Is Sean O'Neill not worth calling back into that squad? Was he dropped for some reason or what was the story there?

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2013, 12:24:29 PM

Does anyone on here rate McNeice or see why Mickey seems to think he's worth his place?

Is Sean O'Neill not worth calling back into that squad? Was he dropped for some reason or what was the story there?

I would rather have other players on the team before McNeice, not sure about Quinn.  Apparently O'Neill isn't a strong enough defender, has pace to burn though.  Surely some role could be found for him. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 29, 2013, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 29, 2013, 12:24:29 PM

I would rather have other players on the team before McNeice, not sure about Quinn.  Apparently O'Neill isn't a strong enough defender, has pace to burn though.  Surely some role could be found for him. 

ONeill has pace to burn?..am i missing something here?
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Applesisapples

With a name like Ross Wherrity how in hell did he get on the Donegal team, with that kinda name he should be playing for Laios or Dublin...maybe even Kildare.

Quarterback

Sunday we were beat fair and square...by the better team and system.  The fact that we controlled the game for large parts though means we should not be too down.  JMG has the Donegal system down to tee.  Everything is looked at, nothing left to chance.  The placing of 3 men in front of Morgan's kicks...no stone is left unturned.  Paul Durcan is very cute, not only brilliant from kick outs but in terms of killing momentum he has it down to a tee..During Tyrone's purple patches I counted almost 3 mins between kick outs in comparison to Morgan who wasted no time during Donegal's Purple Patches...Something Benny Tierney employed very successfully during Armagh's years of success.  We have to look at how we get back up to speed...interestingly when chatting to a team member since the game he noted that the training was still to go up a notch....!

sensethetone

A few times on sunday Tyrone seemed to be doing everything right- defending breaking up the field but when they crossed mid field they lost all confidence. Think Tyrone needs to reinvent it's half forward line, There seems to be the same players/type of player getting the start at half forward. I know joe gets name there but then he swaps with Mattie, we are really missing forwards like B Mc Guigan T Mc Guigan C Mc Cullagh or a R Mulgrew type of play maker. Hope Tyrone learn from Sunday.

nrico2006

Quote from: sensethetone on May 29, 2013, 12:50:44 PM
A few times on sunday Tyrone seemed to be doing everything right- defending breaking up the field but when they crossed mid field they lost all confidence. Think Tyrone needs to reinvent it's half forward line, There seems to be the same players/type of player getting the start at half forward. I know joe gets name there but then he swaps with Mattie, we are really missing forwards like B Mc Guigan T Mc Guigan C Mc Cullagh or a R Mulgrew type of play maker. Hope Tyrone learn from Sunday.

We are definitely missing a playmaker, ever since CMC left.  I was actually hoping that Mulgrew would get a chance this year since he has returned and looks to have filled out, but obviously thats not going to happen.  We have no creativity from the middle on, sticking Sean Cavanagh at CHF isn't the answer as he isn't the type of player to bring others into the game, and it actually negates his infulence as he is usually picking the ball up with his back to goal which isn't his strength.  I have been saying for a while that its our attack that needs looked at, too many non-scoring forwards in there.  In saying that, the one time Tyrone played direct football on Sunday resulted in a great score by McNeice, shame it doesn't happen more often.  Ball kicked to Penrose, he turns, skins a man and plays a lovely diagonal ball in front of the forward.  No chance for blanket defences to stop that.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 29, 2013, 12:58:58 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on May 29, 2013, 12:50:44 PM

We are definitely missing a playmaker, ever since CMC left.  I was actually hoping that Mulgrew would get a chance this year since he has returned and looks to have filled out, but obviously thats not going to happen.  We have no creativity from the middle on, sticking Sean Cavanagh at CHF isn't the answer as he isn't the type of player to bring others into the game, and it actually negates his infulence as he is usually picking the ball up with his back to goal which isn't his strength.  I have been saying for a while that its our attack that needs looked at, too many non-scoring forwards in there.  In saying that, the one time Tyrone played direct football on Sunday resulted in a great score by McNeice, shame it doesn't happen more often.  Ball kicked to Penrose, he turns, skins a man and plays a lovely diagonal ball in front of the forward.  No chance for blanket defences to stop that.

Just on a side note to the game from the Tyronnies, what is the feeling on MH taking off the corner forward obviously for picking up a yellow card, protecting the 15 men on the field, yet when PH picked up a yellow there was no sign of the Shepard's hook?

Is this a double standard on something that obviously had been agreed beforehand?

God14

Nag, im going to be optimistic & assume that as McAliskey was a championship debutante, MH took him off. A lack of big game experience could have resulted in a second booking. Wheras PH was deemed to be more experienced & therefor better equipped to handle the pressure environment.