Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2013, 03:35:30 PM
Talking to a few tryone lads over the last couple of days and they all agree Donegal deserved the win.....but they think if they meet them again this year they will beat them.
Would any of the posters on the board agree with this?
I didnt see anything on Sunday that would lead me to that conclusion, but maybe others see what I dont.

I genuinely don't see where the optimism there is coming from, I felt that Donegal won pulling up, think they have got more in the tank for when it is required. Even if Morgan had landed those frees I still think Tyrone were up against it.

DennistheMenace

If Tyrone played Donegal 10 times, i say they would lose 8 times.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 28, 2013, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 27, 2013, 05:16:09 PM
I wondered about that at the time but I know better to bring it up here after a defeat.
I wondered though did he just bring it forward (a lot) or did he award another free?

So is Bannon suggesting a re-match. I don't know would I want to go through all that again to be honest.

Here's why I think Donegal won't be beaten this year. Back in 2003 we had maybe 3 or 4 lads around one player.

Big shock, Joe McQuillan out of his depth...again. McQullian was inconsistent in his application of the rules, something that a lot of refs are guilty of. On a number of occasions he let Donegal fouls go unpunished only to see no advantage accruing to Tyrone, perhaps the change in the advantage rule will help. Donegal were cynical, but no more than Armagh, Tyrone and Kerry before them. The only solution is for refs to punish cynicism agin perhaps the black card might help but I doubt it as the rule is there to be enforced at the moment through warnings and cards and refs do not use it. I have some sympathy for McMahon officials saw what was happening and didn't intervene an he lashed out.

Not a mission. He deserved all he got it was sheer stupidity for him to kick out and being as experienced as he is there is no question he knows better than to do that. He played directly into Donegals hands.

Say all you want about McQuillan and he was poor but I don't think he was favouring one team over another. Donegal  just played him better than Tyrone. When you think about it it's pretty obvious that if you hold a mans leg the most you will get is a booking but there is a decent chance he'll throw his foot back and get a red!

DennistheMenace

Donegal are cute hoors, and that is definitely drilled into them, without doubt.

Fuzzman

You'd often see a ref move a free forward when a player won't retreat out of the way, so why doesn't he punish them for not letting go of his leg.
When the one happened with Joey I thought he was gonna book the two of them. I think Joey definitely meant to fling the both legs back to hurt him and was not just wriggling free so I had no complaints with the yellow

nothingbettertobeat

our defence is shocking. we haven't a mcmenamin type player even in our underage ranks to stifle a danger-man, none of our defenders on the squad bar conor gormley who done it for years really got into the players head and was hard but fair which really gives the man hes marking an added bit of fear.i mind for years Alan Brogan would light up a weak Leinster champiponship and when Tyrone met the dubs even the famous gormley handshake was enough to put Brogan of his game.can somebody from ardboe answer me if martin mckeown is county material?i mind the year ardboe got beat in county final he looked like a massive talent and has that loughshore tenasity that the likes of the pauls and fay devlins had in them. i mind he made the mckenna cup panel a few years back and then never heard tell of him since whether he walked on his own accord or was pushed but one thing for sure is were seriously lacking in the defensive side of things when the oldest defender we have is still hands down our best available for all our underage success.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

ONeill

The is a dearth of top quality defenders. Even McGuigan, Dooher and McGinley were better defenders that what we have now. It'll continue to cripple us against the best sides.

Mickey also needs to unearth a consistent scoring forward. Not 100% sure if McAliskey is that man but he showed a glimpse of what he can do if given the right ball. Still can't believe that a) they didn't persist with that tactic (O'Neill won a free the same way not long after) b) he took McAliskey off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

Disappointing day on Sunday. Both goals were as a result of bad defending and the second one was a huge turning point in the game. It broke Tyrone and left them chasing the game which played totally into Donegals hands. The missed free kicks at the start of the second half were huge to. On another day Morgan easily could have scored another 2 or 3 of them. The one thing I can't understand is why he took the one from the right hand side. He missed nearly all of them during the league.

I was a bit disappointed that the referee wasn't stronger with Donegal on Sunday. People can point back to things Tyrone did over the years but this should have no impact on the referee. Three men stood in front of Morgan each time for the free's and refused to go the full distance back. The ref stood 30 metres away and let it happen. He moved them back once or twice but they moved forward straight away. The first time they didn't go far enough back the ref should have moved the free forward. As has already been mentioned the tactic of pulling players back to avoid quick free's should also have been punished but instead was ignored and directly lead to McMahon's first booking. The other thing was Donegal's reaction to bad tackles - they were straight in pushing and shoving to influence the ref. McAliskey got booked in the first half. Two of the Donegal players came straight in and pushed McAliskey. The ref had to go round them to get booking him but completely ignored the pushing.

I thought Harte made a few bad decisions on Sunday. Joe McMahon was booked, injured and playing poorly but got kept on. Also I cannot work out why he brought McNeice on for McAliskey. I've been at every game this year and yet to see him offer enough to prove he's ready for the level. I was also disappointed with Mark Donnelly on Sunday - he's yet to really do it in a big championship game. Hopefully it will come as the year develops. Gormely was immense and I thought despite the criticism he gets Colm Cavanagh had a decent game competing with one of the best midfielders in Ireland.

Overall Donegal deserved their win and were so clinical in front of goal. They rarily miss from free's or open play which leaves them hard to beat. Tyrone will have to learn from this. I hope they can regroup now and work really hard for the qualifiers. Donegal are the best team in Ireland and I hope we can learn from Sunday and fight to get another go at them in Croke Park later in the year. I still think with a good run of injuries we can have a good summer.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 27, 2013, 02:05:38 PM
Very disappointing from Tyrone to allow a guy with a hairstyle like Ross Wherity score a big goal against them.

I know his hair was completely shocking and therefore it would be very hard to take a boy like that seriously when he eneterd the fray.  I presumed when he came on, and with hair like that, that he would be no threat so the whoever was supposed to be marking him for the goal probably assumed the same as me and therefore let him carry on.  Major sucker punch to get hit for a goal at that time of the game.  I couldnt believe he scored.  He hasnt good enough hair to score a goal in the Ulster championship.
It's not just you concerned about his hair judging by his Wikipedia page

loughshore lad

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on May 28, 2013, 08:37:57 PM
our defence is shocking. we haven't a mcmenamin type player even in our underage ranks to stifle a danger-man, none of our defenders on the squad bar conor gormley who done it for years really got into the players head and was hard but fair which really gives the man hes marking an added bit of fear.i mind for years Alan Brogan would light up a weak Leinster champiponship and when Tyrone met the dubs even the famous gormley handshake was enough to put Brogan of his game.can somebody from ardboe answer me if martin mckeown is county material?i mind the year ardboe got beat in county final he looked like a massive talent and has that loughshore tenasity that the likes of the pauls and fay devlins had in them. i mind he made the mckenna cup panel a few years back and then never heard tell of him since whether he walked on his own accord or was pushed but one thing for sure is were seriously lacking in the defensive side of things when the oldest defender we have is still hands down our best available for all our underage success.

McKeown was on the McKenna cup squad in 2010 or 2011, can't recall which. The story locally at the time was he left of his own accord after being told he wouldn't play much if any games. He would certainly have the physique for intercounty football and in my opinion would have got an opportunity to see if he was up to the task in most other counties. Dean McNally from Kildress is another robust defender who was let go this year, he was involved in a farm accident lately unfortunately.

From the Bunker

Quote from: NAG1 on May 28, 2013, 03:39:53 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2013, 03:35:30 PM
Talking to a few tryone lads over the last couple of days and they all agree Donegal deserved the win.....but they think if they meet them again this year they will beat them.
Would any of the posters on the board agree with this?
I didnt see anything on Sunday that would lead me to that conclusion, but maybe others see what I dont.

I genuinely don't see where the optimism there is coming from, I felt that Donegal won pulling up, think they have got more in the tank for when it is required. Even if Morgan had landed those frees I still think Tyrone were up against it.

I have to agree. Tyrone were peaking during the league, Donegal were coasting and it cost them their status. It's still hard to know where this Tyrone team will end up. But there were to many reading to much into league form where counties like Kerry, Mayo, Cork and Donegal were regrouping or not really interested. Donegal rightly feared this fixture and the celebrations after the game told their own story. They would not have feared Tyrone unless they were some threat.

The Beard

Tyrone: P McConnell; A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin; R McNamee, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill; Joe McMahon, C Cavanagh; Mattie Donnelly, M Donnelly, P Harte; M Penrose, O Mulligan, D McCurry.

Subs used: R McMenamin for Carlin, D McCaul for McNamee, A Cassidy for Mattie Donnelly, Stephen O'Neill for Penrose, B McGuigan for McCurry

The tyrone team that started against kerry last year.....only men not involved this year are mcconnell, mulligan and rice and mcguigan. All of whom mickey if they hadn't retired and taken decision away from mickey would still be involved. Only new man involved is mcaliskey......hardly rebuilding a new team. Tyrone went full tilt at a league whereas most other teams were preparing for championship so its not a good indicator of where we are at. hard to knew whether mickey is reluctant to change it up or are the new players just not good enough, especially in defence

cork had 7 debutants against limerick....now thats rebuilding

nrico2006

Quote from: loughshore lad on May 28, 2013, 11:19:24 PM
Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on May 28, 2013, 08:37:57 PM

McKeown was on the McKenna cup squad in 2010 or 2011, can't recall which. The story locally at the time was he left of his own accord after being told he wouldn't play much if any games. He would certainly have the physique for intercounty football and in my opinion would have got an opportunity to see if he was up to the task in most other counties. Dean McNally from Kildress is another robust defender who was let go this year, he was involved in a farm accident lately unfortunately.

McBride from Strabane is another physical and athletic defender who impressed when given a chance during the league.  But surely given the number of clubs in the County there are some top class defenders out there. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

I'm sure there are a few Ballinderry defenders you could borrow.

theticklemister

Quote from: The Beard on May 29, 2013, 04:43:38 AM
Tyrone: P McConnell; A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin; R McNamee, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill; Joe McMahon, C Cavanagh; Mattie Donnelly, M Donnelly, P Harte; M Penrose, O Mulligan, D McCurry.

Subs used: R McMenamin for Carlin, D McCaul for McNamee, A Cassidy for Mattie Donnelly, Stephen O'Neill for Penrose, B McGuigan for McCurry

The tyrone team that started against kerry last year.....only men not involved this year are mcconnell, mulligan and rice and mcguigan. All of whom mickey if they hadn't retired and taken decision away from mickey would still be involved. Only new man involved is mcaliskey......hardly rebuilding a new team. Tyrone went full tilt at a league whereas most other teams were preparing for championship so its not a good indicator of where we are at. hard to knew whether mickey is reluctant to change it up or are the new players just not good enough, especially in defence

cork had 7 debutants against limerick....now thats rebuilding

Ye can do that against Limerick, not the ulster and all-irelad champions at Ballybofey.