Mayo won't go to New York

Started by Shrewdness, September 30, 2012, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Unless i have missed it on here, nobody has mentioned the news in recent days, that Mayo have pulled out of their trip to New York  to play in the FBD League Final.
In a statement, the Mayo Co.Board said that ''they are unable to field a team''.

Apparently the news has not gone down well in New York. Mayo won the 'home' section of the FBD League last January, and were well aware of this fixture since.
The Connacht council are also furious over this, and said in a statement, that they will meet in the next few weeks to decide what sanctions to impose on the Mayo Co. Board.

Then to think, that on the All Ireland Final thread on this site, we had a Mayo supporter proposing the idea of getting Mayo people overseas to set up direct debit mandates to pump more dollars and other currencies into Mayo Gaa....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 30, 2012, 08:52:11 AM
Unless i have missed it on here, nobody has mentioned the news in recent days, that Mayo have pulled out of their trip to New York  to play in the FBD League Final.
In a statement, the Mayo Co.Board said that ''they are unable to field a team''.

Apparently the news has not gone down well in New York. Mayo won the 'home' section of the FBD League last January, and were well aware of this fixture since.
The Connacht council are also furious over this, and said in a statement, that they will meet in the next few weeks to decide what sanctions to impose on the Mayo Co. Board.

Then to think, that on the All Ireland Final thread on this site, we had a Mayo supporter proposing the idea of getting Mayo people overseas to set up direct debit mandates to pump more dollars and other currencies into Mayo Gaa....

Enda Kenny is obsessing about 'The Gathering' next year, and all that crap about bringing the diaspora home. Now his home county pulls the plug last minute on going to New York to see some of the diaspora...How ironic.

Can't believe that i'm the first person to raise this subject on this website. Do the Mayo people on here not know about it.

Mayo lads are still depressed about the final, give them a break ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 30, 2012, 08:57:00 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 30, 2012, 08:52:11 AM

Enda Kenny is obsessing about 'The Gathering' next year, and all that crap about bringing the diaspora home. Now his home county pulls the plug last minute on going to New York to see some of the diaspora...How ironic.

Can't believe that i'm the first person to raise this subject on this website. Do the Mayo people on here not know about it.

Mayo lads are still depressed about the final, give them a break ffs

Agreed

IolarCoisCuain

Why don't the Connacht Council just send the runner-up? New York get the fixture fulfilled and the Connacht Council still get to lorry down pints in Rosie O'Grady's, which is what this whole circus is about anyway. Why not do that?

From the Bunker

You missed nothing Shrew. This is a glamourised challenge game that Mayo football cannot fulfill. Between players having club commitments for to finish off the Mayo championships, players who are not eligable to play due to playing for colleges and players who need to rest injuries they have been carring through the championship. There are not enough players available. Check mate! A work around could be to send the Connacht Club Champions?

Rossfan

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 30, 2012, 10:10:21 AM
Whoever thought going to New York to play a pointless contrived game had no thought for the players of any county.  It was nothing more than a junket for officials and a commercial exercise for FBD.

To even consider asking Mayo to gather up a squad to play in New York after the continuing heartbreak that they are going through shows a contempt for the effort that the squad have put into this season. The Connacht council obviously has no concern for the welfare of any players in its province or any concept of players trying to hold on to jobs with employers who are struggling to stay in business or have already given so much time off to players or players spending time with their families. It would be interesting to know who and how many from this august body were going to make the trip to New York and how much the whole outing was going to cost.
+1.
Well said !
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on September 30, 2012, 12:18:05 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on September 30, 2012, 10:10:21 AM
Whoever thought going to New York to play a pointless contrived game had no thought for the players of any county.  It was nothing more than a junket for officials and a commercial exercise for FBD.

To even consider asking Mayo to gather up a squad to play in New York after the continuing heartbreak that they are going through shows a contempt for the effort that the squad have put into this season. The Connacht council obviously has no concern for the welfare of any players in its province or any concept of players trying to hold on to jobs with employers who are struggling to stay in business or have already given so much time off to players or players spending time with their families. It would be interesting to know who and how many from this august body were going to make the trip to New York and how much the whole outing was going to cost.
+1.
Well said !

Ah, f**k off will ya! ;D
Why not send the sheep shaggers instead?
That would be an evenly matched game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
You missed nothing Shrew. This is a glamourised challenge game that Mayo football cannot fulfill. Between players having club commitments for to finish off the Mayo championships, players who are not eligable to play due to playing for colleges and players who need to rest injuries they have been carring through the championship. There are not enough players available. Check mate! A work around could be to send the Connacht Club Champions?

I didn't know Mayo had the same size pick as Leitrim?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 30, 2012, 02:51:34 PM

Who said they had the same size pick as Leitrim?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2012, 02:54:47 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 30, 2012, 02:51:34 PM

Who said they had the same size pick as Leitrim?

You are trying convince yourself that Mayo don't have not enough players available. Leitrim is used as example.

From the Bunker

You know you are probably right. There has to be a squad of players you can slap together between Junior intercountyplayers, Under 21 players (that were not on College teams) and the left overs from the senior squad.  :P

Maguire01

I'm sure there are better ways of using limited funds than a meaningless game like this. Mayo are just right to pull out of it.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2012, 03:30:54 PM
You know you are probably right. There has to be a squad of players you can slap together between Junior intercountyplayers, Under 21 players (that were not on College teams) and the left overs from the senior squad.  :P

I'm sure some of the clubs would want the rest of those players then.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2012, 04:30:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2012, 03:30:54 PM

I'm sure some of the clubs would want the rest of those players then.

They could always check on the flight on the way over if there are any Lads available for to tog out to make up the numbers!  :P

Milltown Row2

I'm available if they want to give me a ring ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea