Ryder Cup

Started by joe bloggs, September 27, 2012, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: southdown on September 28, 2012, 10:37:04 AM
What is difference between fourball, fousromes and singles (Im new to the game so excuse my ignorance)?
Foursomes they take it shot about. Player 1 takes tee shot & player 2 takes next shot.
Fourballs, both players on both teams hit their own ball & whoever has the best score wins
Singles, the 12 on each team play each other in singles match play on Sunday.

All the matches are picked by the captain(ie pairings & order you go out in..either 1st/2nd/3rd etc)so you don't know who you'll be up against in all formats

deiseach

The Americans (probably unofficially, it's not mentioned on the website) call foursomes 'alternate shot' and and fourball 'better ball', which encapsulates the difference between the two formats. Foursomes is the work of the devil. I remember a time when Tiger Woods looked like he wanted to murder Phil Mickelson when the latter hit his tee shot way out west. You're meant to be happy when another player does that in golf!

Billys Boots

Would you want to be cleaning up after Phil Mickelson's drives??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2012, 11:20:55 AM

That's why foursomes is evil. You gotta love it.

Link

£5 treble on mcilroy/mcdowell, donald/garcia and woods/stricker. Pays £34

hopefully the other game is a draw. 2.5 - 1.5 after morning foursomes!

Billys Boots

Quote from: deiseach on September 28, 2012, 11:43:48 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2012, 11:20:55 AM

That's why foursomes is evil. You gotta love it.

True, but if you want to see lads trying mad things, watch the fourballs. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J OGorman

Hound

Rumours that GMac struggled badly in practice yesterday, so value bet of the day might be Furyk and Sned. Although if Olly is still putting him first out, presumably he's not worried.

Wouldnt bet against Poulter & Rose. They'll push Tiger and Stricker all the way.

Interesting commentary by Monty yesterday. He said Love has ensured there's virtually no rough on the course to make it a putting contest, on the basis that Love believes its the one area where the US are significantly better than Europe.

Puckoon

Is betterball not what it's called at home now? Fourball betterball or twoball betterball?

deiseach

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2012, 12:36:44 PM
True, but if you want to see lads trying mad things, watch the fourballs.

I know what you mean. It's great watching players really attack the hole on long putts because they know their partner has a relatively simple two-putt. Half those kind of efforts end up in greenside bunkers.

GAA_Talk

Some shot from Rory there!!!!

LeoMc

Quote from: J OGorman on September 28, 2012, 12:54:06 PM
any links men?

cheers

Aye, Clarke would be one from his years in Portrush.  :)

stew

Quote from: Hound on September 28, 2012, 01:01:57 PM
Rumours that GMac struggled badly in practice yesterday, so value bet of the day might be Furyk and Sned. Although if Olly is still putting him first out, presumably he's not worried.

Wouldnt bet against Poulter & Rose. They'll push Tiger and Stricker all the way.

Interesting commentary by Monty yesterday. He said Love has ensured there's virtually no rough on the course to make it a putting contest, on the basis that Love believes its the one area where the US are significantly better than Europe.

McDowell did indeed struggle in practice yesterday, he even shanked one ball a la tin cup, that said I watched him for half an hour and he hit some incredible tee shots and holed out from 60 yards.

Cant wait until Sunday, will be roaring on the Euros live, will be some craic if yesterday was anything to go by.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Europe need to close out these 3 matches in which they are up, the americans are on the ropes in the first round and to let them back into it will be a real shot in the arm for them.