Tír Eoghain vs Ciarraí

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 26, 2007, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Just as a matter of interest does anyone have the figures for the number of players sent off in competitive games for counties this year?  Also I would imagine it unlikely but would anyone also have the figures for the numbers booked?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tyroneman

QuoteWith Tyrone it seems that they choose to play good football occasionaly but are happier in big games not to

Bit unfair that to be honest. Of the last 'big' games Tyrone have had...

v Dublin (twice) were footballing thrillers
v Kerry in AIF 2005 was an exhibition of flowing football
even v Armagh in the UF (twice) the football played was excellent.

realredhandfan

I genuinely didnt think the game was bad on Saturday night.  How many classics did we have over the weekend anyway and what pure football teams played in them? 

DUBSFORSAM1

Realredhandfan

So what about:
1 - Galvins kidney punch
2 - McCulloghs kick
3 - Gormleys knee drop
4 - Mellon holding onto O'Sullivan off the ball
5 - O'Sullivan kicking Mellon to be freed
6 - O'Se's elbow??
7 - Dooher running to the ref looking for cards
8 - The jersey pulling off the ball

realredhandfan

The jersey pulling off the ball
Aye right enough, I might never go to another match again if that new  Mickey Harte / Pat O Se tactic was to continue. 
Mc Culloughs kick - had to go, but the Kerry man had his hand in his mouth, the blood was pouring from him leaving the field.   id personally have kicked out also. 
Galvin - well we know about Mr Galvin
Gormleys -knee drop didnt see it.
O Sullivan kick straight red.
O Se elbow - didnt see it
Dooher - running to ref - hes trying to get the game cleaned up ffs - you cant have it both ways. 
Now f**k up.

Over the Bar

Quote4 - Mellon holding onto O'Sullivan off the ball

Well there you go! What a disgrace that anything such as this might happen in an inter-county game!  Mellon should get a 12 week ban!   ::)

Dubsforsam, it would be fair to assume that you obviously have never played gaelic at club level and the closest you've got is TV replays.  The crap you are citing typically happens in every game.  Dublin's soccer-style supporters just don't see it cos they are too busy clapping tackles & line-balls.   

DUBSFORSAM1

Over the bar

Never said there should be a ban or anything but if your lying on the ground and you grab your opponents legs to stop him getting away are you not creating a situation where your going to get a kicking???

I have played schools and club Gaelic and hurling both  in Ireland and abroad...and have travelled all over the country going to matches.....so there is no need for the patronising tone....

So your arguement is that if something happens all the time it should continue happening???? So kicking, punching, kneeing and fouling off the ball are totally legitimate tactics in a match???

Tyrones own

Yes DFS1, in the 31 other counties as well as Tyrone this seems to be common practice :o
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

johnpower

My Tyrone buddies no excuse for Tom O S actions as it could have caused damage . Maybe the young man at the end of it will leave the leg pulling to the commedians . anyway the result was a better one for you guys as away results in the league are harded to get . You also have the better forwards .Keep  thoes Haloa lit we might meet in the qualifiers

DUBSFORSAM1

Well glad to see I know where Tyrone fans stand -

Cheating is acceptable if other teams do it...
Cynical fouling is acceptable....unless its Derry in the Ulster championship or Dublin in Omagh.....

If anyone critiscise or comments we shall tell him to f**k up etc.....even though they critiscise both teams equally....

Obviously the idea of trying to win a game without having to resort to off the ball fouling etc wouldn't be considered....maybe training defenders how to defend legally without having to resort to jersey pulling off the ball would be useful....

And as for running to the ref brandishing a card - that is a soccer trait I never thought i would see in Gaelic Football..

Tyrones own

Where in my post did i use the word accepted.?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Bensars

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 04, 2007, 12:22:44 AM
Well glad to see I know where Tyrone fans stand -

Cheating is acceptable if other teams do it...
Cynical fouling is acceptable....unless its Derry in the Ulster championship or Dublin in Omagh.....

If anyone critiscise or comments we shall tell him to f**k up etc.....even though they critiscise both teams equally....

Obviously the idea of trying to win a game without having to resort to off the ball fouling etc wouldn't be considered....maybe training defenders how to defend legally without having to resort to jersey pulling off the ball would be useful....

And as for running to the ref brandishing a card - that is a soccer trait I never thought i would see in Gaelic Football..

The legality of defending will be determined by the referee. If it is illegal ,Tyrone and many other teams, will pay the price by conceding a large number of free kicks in scorable areas.

You are becoming obcessional in your jibes. If you dont like it, dont watch it, dont go to any of the games.

However if you think this doesnt happen in club football, let alone senior inter county , you are highly deluded and obviously never played the game.

You are becoming like TUG, whereby your posts are laughable

DUBSFORSAM1

Bensar

What tends to happen is that players are fouled before they get near the scoring zone in order to allow defences to set again..

Just cause something happens doesn't mean we have to condone it or accept it....Clubs poach players all the time so should that be condoned - counties poach players so should that be condoned....managers get paid so that should be acceptable???

Its like diving in soccer - ah sure other people are doing it so we should etc...

supersarsfields

DFS
I enjoy a game were there is close marking, we're often told when playing to "keep a hand on your man". Most forwards know that a good defender will try to stay in contact with the forward when going for a ball. You seem to see this as cynical and negative. I don't, a good forward will either be quick enough to get away from the defender a la Gooch or big enough and strong enough to hold of their marker like SON or Stevie McDonald. You seem to quick to glorify attacking fotball without seeing the importance of close defending. And yes some times this close marking can spill over into a free, but I wouldn't want the game to get any less phyiscal. And sure if the free is given aren't the team being punished anyway.
Fouls will happen in a game. And if the only alternative to stop that happening is to tone down the physicality of the game, then I'd rather stick to the way it's played at the minute, warts and all.

DUBSFORSAM1

SuperSarsfields

As a former defender also I like good tight marking - but there is a difference between spending the game trying to exchange jerseys and trying to mark your man....Most defenders don't pull jerseys etc close to their own goal........what I was talking about is when a team is on the break from defence and forwards for example deliberately pull them down to slow the break and give the defence time to reorganise without conceeding a scoreable free.....

Would you not agree that in terms of physicallity ie with heavy shoulders and big hits are going out of the game due to a change in reffing emphasis and a more pronounced tendancy to go to ground and look for frees and cards etc....and there is far more sneaky fouling going on....