Jimmy's throwing hacks out!

Started by T Fearon, September 23, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 02:11:07 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2012, 12:55:40 PM
I doubt he has anything against Mayo if he didn't visit the dressing room, He was full of praise for Mayo in the build up to the game, doubt it was mind games by saying that. He said he wouldn't begrudge Mayo winning either, as they had suffered lots of defeats in the past.

Maybe he was just buzzing after winning, and forget about his duties of visting the loser's dressing room...

That's the problem with all that ould shite. If it's a spontaneous gesture, it's an admirable thing to do. If it's a duty, what's the point? Who wants to sit in a losers' dressing room listening to banalities from a man who doesn't want to be there either and who's just mouthing empty platitudes? Scrap it, along with the cúpla focal, the hip-hipping and any other ould nonsense perpetrated on these occasions without any thought for whether it means anything or is just formulaic or, worse, patronising bullshit.
I think the hip hip should be dumped along with Ger Canning. Cúpla focal only if the captain has the blas.
Visiting the losing dressingroom isn't confined to the gah and is a decent gesture i.m.o.   

ONeill

Surreal post-match strop at Croker left McGuinness down

By Paddy Heaney

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

— George Bernard Shaw, Maxims for Revolutionists

Like many revolutionaries and ultra-successful football managers, Jim McGuinness is an unreasonable man.

The progress he has made with Donegal is astonishing. In July 2010, he inherited a Division Two team that embarrassed themselves in that year's Championship. Two years later, he has guided the same bunch of players to the All-Ireland football title.

It's is the greatest managerial achievement in the modern era of Gaelic football. To reach the Hogan Stand in September, McGuinness moulded the game to suit the skills of his players. He also moulded his players so that they could execute his masterplan. In short, he adapted the game to himself.

The players coached by progress-makers like Jim McGuinness, Alex Ferguson and José Mourinho are the greatest beneficiaries. If the players follow the plan, then the glory and acclaim will follow.

But woe betide the journalist, the player, or anyone who is perceived to be undermining the progress of these men.

Before the start of this year's, Premier League, a Daily Star journalist wrote a story stating that Rio Ferdinand would miss the start of the season because he was injured. The story has since been proved correct. But that's didn't stop Alex Ferguson banning the journalist from Manchester United press conferences.

Jose Mourinho is currently suing the Spanish newspaper Marca following an article which claimed he's "the type of person who leaves after causing a car crash". Mourinho wants a retraction and €15,000 in damages.

On Sunday, Jim McGuinness received the most rapturous reception ever given to an All-Ireland-winning manager. Once Michael Murphy mentioned his name, the cheering started and was sustained for more than a minute.

But on a day when he should have just wallowed in the joy of the occasion, McGuinness decided to pick at an old wound. After taking his seat for the post-match press conference, the man of the moment was greeted by a number of journalists who congratulated him and shook his hand. The conference with the winning manager is usually a light-hearted, enjoyable affair. But the mood quickly changed. Suddenly Jim's head was bowed and he started fiddling with his stopwatch. Then, he stood up and left the room. A few minutes later, a Croke Park press officer approached Declan Bogue, author of 'This Is Our Year', the award-winning book which led to Kevin Cassidy being excluded from the Donegal county squad.

She informed Declan that Jim wouldn't hold a press conference if he remained in his seat. Declan immediately volunteered to leave. During the stand-off, Jim was advised not to pursue this course of action. He was informed if he insisted on having Declan Bogue excluded from the press conference, then the dispute would dominate the next day's headlines. McGuinness point blank refused to change his mind.

When Jim reentered the room, he was asked to explain why he had chosen that precise moment to publicise his grievances about the book.

"There were a lot of untruths," he said. "There were a lot of things said about me. I've never broken court on it since the whole thing happened. I've held my dignity. I've let myself be castigated. And I did that because I gave someone my agreement that I wouldn't break my court on it.

"There were a lot of things said in the book which were incorrect and untrue, some of it possibly lies about me personally and about some of my players.

"It was an all-out attack for a couple of months on my character. I know what I've done. I know what I've coached. I know what I am as a person. And that's the situation."

As someone who has read 'This Is Our Year,' I remain mystified at how it managed to cause McGuinness so much offence. While Kevin Cassidy may have revealed information McGuinness wanted to remain confidential, the Gweedore clubman never made a single negative comment about his manager.

In fact, he is portrayed in an overwhelmingly positive fashion. He comes across as intelligent, driven, a thoroughly modern coach. Anyone who is any doubt should read the book — as no doubt many more will. And if Jim wanted to hurt Declan Bogue he has chosen an odd way of doing it. Another reprint will probably be required following this latest chapter to the saga.

The tragedy in all of this is that McGuinness, Cassidy and Bogue are three extremely likeable individuals. Each one is first-class company. It is truly sad that circumstances have created this discord. When writing 'This Is Our Year', Bogue relied on the testimony of Cassidy. The book provides an account of Cassidy's season. If Jim believes facts have been misconstrued, then surely he is venting his anger at the wrong person.

And yet, Cassidy revealed last week that McGuinness invited him to return to the Donegal panel at Easter. The former All Star declined the offer.

Cassidy's decision not to return, and his absence from the presentation podium is the one sour note to Donegal's victory that will linger.

Ultimately, Kevin Cassidy will have to live with his decision. He could have gone back if he so wished.

Apart from the flak he received for axing Cassidy, McGuinness was rightly universally feted during this year's Championship.

Adored by his native people, he is widely admired by those who have watched his team rise from qualifier chaff to All-Ireland champions. Yet, on the day of his greatest managerial achievement, McGuinness insisted on the removal of a journalist from a press conference that should have been a celebration of his finest hour.

And that's a huge pity. It was a surreal incident that will generate considerable debate during a week when the only topic should be Donegal's great victory. Whether he likes it or not, his conduct on Sunday will raise more questions and discussion about his character than anything ever written in This Is Our Year

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paddy-heaney/surreal-post-match-strop-at-croker-left-mcguinness-down-209003.html
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 27, 2012, 12:36:32 PM
Ewan MacKenna reporting on Twitter that McGuinness didn't even visit the Mayo dressing room after the game. Very hard to warm to him.

+1

That is true.

Neither Jim McGuinness or any member of the Donegal management team or county board came near the Mayo dressing room after the game. Turned me off him completely.

Asal Mor

I doubt he has anything against Mayo if he didn't visit the dressing room, He was full of praise for Mayo in the build up to the game, doubt it was mind games by saying that. He said he wouldn't begrudge Mayo winning either, as they had suffered lots of defeats in the past.

Maybe he was just buzzing after winning, and forget about his duties of visting the loser's dressing room...

That's the problem with all that ould shite. If it's a spontaneous gesture, it's an admirable thing to do. If it's a duty, what's the point? Who wants to sit in a losers' dressing room listening to banalities from a man who doesn't want to be there either and who's just mouthing empty platitudes? Scrap it, along with the cúpla focal, the hip-hipping and any other ould nonsense perpetrated on these occasions without any thought for whether it means anything or is just formulaic or, worse, patronising bullshit.

Dead right there Hardy. I remember getting beaten by 10-16 to 1-4 in an U-16 hurling match and the opposing manager coming in and telling us how we had great potential and we definitely had the beating of Cappatagle in the next game etc. etc.  if we just stuck at it. We knew it wasn't true and he knew it too. It's a tradition that wouldn't be missed and the 3 cheers would make ya cringe as well. The "ta an athas orm.........." stuff doesn't really do anything for the Irish language. When someone like Joe Connolly or Sean Og O halpin come along and speak passionately as Gaeilge that's great but forcing it, no more than in the schools, is pointless.

camanchero

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2012, 02:25:20 PM

I don't think it was mind games or some pre-medidated decision either. But there is something to be said for etiquette in every sport. The overwhelming majority of managers who've visited our changing rooms over the years (in winning or defeat) have done so not to be patronising, but to pass on regards either way. And it's welcomed and appreciated by players. The words of your opponent's senior figure do actually count for something.

Your manager is the role model for how your team behaves. Professionalism is one thing, creating a divide between you and your sport is another.
to be fair after a game (win, lose or draw) there is still so much a manager has to do and attend to that whenever I'm managing, I dont get time to go into an opponents dressing room after the game (championship) . One of the selectors/club officials does that.Half the time I dont even remember. Bad form on my part in relation to ettiquette - maybe so, but my concern is always for my own team and players etc and my focus is elsewhere.
thats mickey mouse in comparison to th intercounty managers like McGuinness - so I can understand why he would forget or wouldnt have time.
its a tradition I couldnt care less whether they kept or stopped.

Declan

QuoteVisiting the losing dressingroom isn't confined to the gah and is a decent gesture i.m.o.

Yep I must say I know there's lots on folks minds after a game but I always try and make an effort to to speak to them - As we lose more often that win it's not something I've musch practice at ;)

deiseach

I'm inclined to agree. Surely the honourable thing in sport is for the loser to congratulate the winner? It's easy to give the loser a patronising pat on the head, hard to swallow bitter tears of disappointment and acknowledge you were second best. And we do it not because it easy but because it is hard.

shawshank

Murphy in his speech thanked Mayo, and offered the traditional three cheers. That was suffiecient

Bingo

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 03:15:13 PM
Ewan MacKenna reporting on Twitter that McGuinness didn't even visit the Mayo dressing room after the game. Very hard to warm to him.

+1

That is true.

Neither Jim McGuinness or any member of the Donegal management team or county board came near the Mayo dressing room after the game. Turned me off him completely.

Ewan has since updated this and said that Rory Gallagher and Michael Murphy did visit the dressing room but all bar two members of the mgt team where present.

I'm sure its to do with the length of time they spent out on the pitch. Some pictures have them on the field and the stadium is empty. I'd say Mayo couldn't wait to get out. Plus McGuinness was probably in demand to head to the infamous print media press conference.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Bingo on September 27, 2012, 03:56:58 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 03:15:13 PM

+1

That is true.

Ewan has since updated this and said that Rory Gallagher and Michael Murphy did visit the dressing room but all bar two members of the mgt team where present.

I'm sure its to do with the length of time they spent out on the pitch. Some pictures have them on the field and the stadium is empty. I'd say Mayo couldn't wait to get out. Plus McGuinness was probably in demand to head to the infamous print media press conference.

Dont know why people are making excuses. Maybe this or that.

He didnt even shake the James Horans hand after the game.

deiseach

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:08:34 PM

Did James Horan shake Jim McGuinness's hand? Sore loser if he didn't.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:15:10 PM

Are you serious, Jim was too busy running onto the pitch in front of the cameras celebrating.
Were you even watching the end of the game? 

ONeill

I wonder is that Heaney off Jimmy's Christmas card list.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bingo

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2012, 04:15:10 PM

Are you serious, Jim was too busy running onto the pitch in front of the cameras celebrating.

Are you James himself? If he is so annoyed about it I'm sure it will come out and journo's will be only too delighted to talk about it and use it as a stick to beat McGuiness.

deiseach

Quote from: TyrionLannister on September 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM

No, I'm not being serious. But as I said in my previous post on the thread, I don't see it as necessary for winners to commiserate with losers in that manner.