Jimmy's throwing hacks out!

Started by T Fearon, September 23, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Bingo on September 26, 2012, 10:05:30 AM
In my opinion or rather my theory on this is that this is the first move by McGuinness to retaining the All-Ireland next year.

Last year (2010) he installed an unbelieveable strenght of mind in the players and had put a huge emphasis on the group and trust within that. When he seen Cassidy break that, he had to cut him loose to re-enforce his position as leader and move on to the next level and make it clear they have unfinished business and that trust must still be unbroken.

As it proved this worked and no doubt the "good teams win the All-Ireland, great teams win more than one" mantra was in his thoughts. His removal or request of removal of this journo ensured that the breach of trust was fresh in everyones mind and that such breachs in this period after the All-Ireland will not be tolerated, as the thrist of info on what Donegal do will be greater than every before.

Well thats my theory on it  :D

Was thinking the same thing. Going after Bogue so publicly means he doesn't have to sacrifice a squad member (for the greater good) later on.
All part of building a siege mentality for next year.

deiseach

In my opinion or rather my theory on this is that this is the first move by McGuinness to retaining the All-Ireland next year.

Interesting theory. Do you really think he's being that cold-blooded about it?

Donnellys Hollow

Football is taken way too seriously nowadays. The almost cult like status surrounding some of these panels has reached ridiculous levels and my own county are one of the worst offenders. This craic of not talking to the media and locking the gates while the panel are training so that they can gain some sort of mythical "edge" is starting to border on the farcical.

I admire what McGuinness has done in transforming his county's footballing fortunes but he should get over himself on this issue.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on September 26, 2012, 10:42:14 AM

Interesting theory. Do you really think he's being that cold-blooded about it?

I would think so. Its his profession and it seems that he is totally focussed on this job and all that it entails. He seems to be the person who plans everything to a fine level and nothing is left to chance. He was ruthless in removing Cassidy and putting a journo out of the room is way less of a sacrifice to him. His view could well be that the biggest threat that he'll face over the coming months is the media and he is laying his cards on the table now.

Springs back to the old days of the Liverpool boot room where it was often said that hours after lifting the league, they'd be back planning for next season.

ck

One question that may reveal a few things.
Was Sunday the first press conference that was held after a Donegal game that Bogue attended? My information from someone who was there said that when McGuinness scanned the room, spotted Bogue, fiddled with his watch and then left. Did he do this every press conference?

Bingo

Quote from: ck on September 26, 2012, 11:13:21 AM
Was Sunday the first press conference that was held after a Donegal game that Bogue attended? My information from someone who was there said that when McGuinness scanned the room, spotted Bogue, fiddled with his watch and then left. Did he do this every press conference?

No, he attended many other press conferences with McGuinness during the year and the media night before the All-ireland. McGuinness addressed this in the press conference if you look at what he said on the matter.

sheamy

Quote from: ck on September 26, 2012, 11:13:21 AM

doesn't sound like a pre-meditated beginning to the campaign for Sam 2013...maybe more a case of the head staggers?

Dinny Breen

Ewan MacKenna reporting on Twitter that McGuinness didn't even visit the Mayo dressing room after the game. Very hard to warm to him.
#newbridgeornowhere

cornafean

Massive respect for his achievements, but Jim is starting to make Kieran McGeeney look like Johnny Pilkington.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

rodney trotter

I doubt he has anything against Mayo if he didn't visit the dressing room, He was full of praise for Mayo in the build up to the game, doubt it was mind games by saying that. He said he wouldn't begrudge Mayo winning either, as they had suffered lots of defeats in the past.

Maybe he was just buzzing after winning, and forget about his duties of visting the loser's dressing room...

shawshank

Donegal stayed on the pitch until the stadium was nearly empty, soaking it all, as they say. is there any chance Mayo could have left the place by the time Donegal decided to go and change?

Halfquarter

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2012, 12:55:40 PM
I doubt he has anything against Mayo if he didn't visit the dressing room, He was full of praise for Mayo in the build up to the game, doubt it was mind games by saying that. He said he wouldn't begrudge Mayo winning either, as they had suffered lots of defeats in the past.

Maybe he was just buzzing after winning, and forget about his duties of visting the loser's dressing room...

Declan Bogue might disagree with that !

Hardy

That's the problem with all that ould shite. If it's a spontaneous gesture, it's an admirable thing to do. If it's a duty, what's the point? Who wants to sit in a losers' dressing room listening to banalities from a man who doesn't want to be there either and who's just mouthing empty platitudes? Scrap it, along with the cúpla focal, the hip-hipping and any other ould nonsense perpetrated on these occasions without any thought for whether it means anything or is just formulaic or, worse, patronising bullshit.

sheamy

thewobbler

Quote from: Hardy on September 27, 2012, 02:11:07 PM

That's the problem with all that ould shite. If it's a spontaneous gesture, it's an admirable thing to do. If it's a duty, what's the point? Who wants to sit in a losers' dressing room listening to banalities from a man who doesn't want to be there either and who's just mouthing empty platitudes? Scrap it, along with the cúpla focal, the hip-hipping and any other ould nonsense perpetrated on these occasions without any thought for whether it means anything or is just formulaic or, worse, patronising bullshit.

I don't think it was mind games or some pre-medidated decision either. But there is something to be said for etiquette in every sport. The overwhelming majority of managers who've visited our changing rooms over the years (in winning or defeat) have done so not to be patronising, but to pass on regards either way. And it's welcomed and appreciated by players. The words of your opponent's senior figure do actually count for something.

Your manager is the role model for how your team behaves. Professionalism is one thing, creating a divide between you and your sport is another.