AFR refugees?

Started by glasagusbán, September 15, 2012, 01:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glasagusbán

Well any other AFR 'fugees on here looking for a new home? (Apologies if there's a thread up on this already!)

armaghniac

I hope yous are not as rowdy over here.  ::)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Lads, we need ye to come and sort out these Armagh lads for us. Came down to Roscommon with their high beams and caesar salad sandwiches in July full of classic Ulster confidence. They're still traumatised from their experience.

Maybe give them a hug, or rock them to sleep a few times.

Eamonnca1

I suppose you could say I'm one.

Zulu

bp is another and I posted on AFR every now and again, as did a few more from here I think. Pity it's gone as between here and AFR the GAA was pretty well catered for. This is a good DB and I like the fact that GAA discussions are entirely separated from general discussions so topics stay on page 1 longer. Some of the better AFR posters would be a welcome addition.

Shamrock Shore

AFR lads

It may go quiet when ye enter the forum but as soon as you pull over a stool and order a pint then the chatter will resume.

The main rules are:

(i) Football was invented in 2002
(ii) eh...that's it.

Kernan_is_King

QuoteFootball was invented in 2002

That's only inter-county football. Club football was invented in 1996.
Big Joe - Big Future!

bp

...and hurling as everyone knows was invented in 1995  ;) !

bp

Quote from: glasagusbán on September 15, 2012, 01:05:27 AM
Well any other AFR 'fugees on here looking for a new home? (Apologies if there's a thread up on this already!)

Hi there, did you get to the GGs today, second game sounded as if it was a real humdinger.

Cyril Farrell fan

I was browsing the GAA forum boards.ie over the weekend.
Already I can see the AFR influx over there are picking up bans for innocent things. Their topic has even been locked for going off topic.

The house rules seem all important to the moderators, who seem to read every post looking for a reason to swing the axe. Within a month I bet they will be all banned or have left.

I think they would fare much better on this site where I've not seen the same topic content policing.
Maybe there could be a invite extended to them?

Main Street

Ziggy, our Mod nr 1, on the face of it has a level of  tolerance, but at 3am in the quiet relative calm, he's known to roam the board wielding the axe in a sleepless induced rage of frustration. Those dysfunctional homeless board refugees won't know what hit them, should they attempt their carry on here.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 17, 2012, 10:04:50 AM
Already I can see the AFR influx over there are picking up bans for innocent things. Their topic has even been locked for going off topic.

The house rules seem all important to the moderators, who seem to read every post looking for a reason to swing the axe. Within a month I bet they will be all banned or have left.

I think they would fare much better on this site where I've not seen the same topic content policing.
How would you go about extending this invitation?
As far as I can see, the mods and the general membership here are  quite happy to welcome ex-AFR posters but there's no practical way to go about advertising this fact.
I know next to nothing about Liam Cahill and his modus operandi but maybe he could be persuaded by one or more of his former posters to stick a notice to this effect on his main site.
Do you think he would oblige?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tommysmith

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 17, 2012, 11:18:52 AM
Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 17, 2012, 10:04:50 AM

How would you go about extending this invitation?
As far as I can see, the mods and the general membership here are  quite happy to welcome ex-AFR posters but there's no practical way to go about advertising this fact.
I know next to nothing about Liam Cahill and his modus operandi but maybe he could be persuaded by one or more of his former posters to stick a notice to this effect on his main site.
Do you think he would oblige?

If any of you have a Boards.ie account just send the lads a few private messages telling them about this place.

Gaaboardmod3

Hi Lads, and welcome to any newcomers, regardless of the reason for you pitchng up here. Firstly just to address the question of should we extend an invite to ex AFR posters, everyone is welcome here as long as they adhere to our (fairly reasonable imo) rules. I don't think it would be appropriate to go onto boards or TFK and post an invite as such, because that is basically spamming their board. We don't tolerate that over here, so it would be a bit hypocritical to do the same thing over on those boards, especially as boards.ie is a commercial venture, so to speak. Unlike here.

However, I would say that *all* newcomers are more than welcome to pitch tent here. We have some rules and regulations, but it is rarely necessary to ban someone because our community here has, generally speaking, adhered to the rules and recognised that the rules are just there to try and make this place enjoyable and informative for its users. At the end of the day, the forum is to provide information and entertainment for we who use it, and that is its prime, and really only, purpose.

If we have new lads joining, or rejoining, or lurkers who are now going to start posting because of the demise of AFR, then firstly, welcome. You're bound to have a lot in common with most of the people on this forum because, well, you joined a GAA board. You'll have differences as well, but sure that's part of the dynamic of such a place.

A couple of things that should help guide you as you get used to the place. 

Rules. - I know, it's a balls to talk about rules straight away, but we have to. The only reason the rules are there is to help us provide a forum that allows people to engage, argue, inform, amuse and otherwise interact in such a way that is enjoyable for as many people as possible. We have rules stickied to the top of each forum, so please have a quick read and make sure you understand. Any questions can be PM'ed to me or any of the other mods, or the administrator. We think the rules are commonsense enough, and serve their purpose fairly well. We rarely have to take action in the form of bans, as I think most people understand what the situation is, but having said that we have banned people who seemed determined to flaunt the rules, or who obviously joined up for no reason other than to cause hassle. We don't like banning people, because you are removing a potential contributor, but if it has to be done, it will be done.

Reporting a Post - Believe it or not, the mods are actually real people with real lives, jobs, families, hobbies etc. We are all users and posters on the board, but we cannot guarantee that we will see all issues, nor do we want to spend our day trawling through posts looking for problems. We expect you to behave like adults, and we treat you in that manner. If you show yourself to be a child, then that's a different story. However, as we neither can, nor want to, monitor every post, there is a 'report' function on every post. If you feel someone is in breach of the rules, feel free to report it and a moderator will investigate and take action if necessary. We will not take action all the time, if we don't agree that the rules have been breached, etc, which can be pretty subjective some times, but normally we would explain that decision to the reporter. If you are reporting a post, just please remember to cite the Rule number you think is relevant.

Ignore Function - A lot of the times someone can annoy the jaysus out of you, without actually breaking any rule, per se. In this case you can use the 'ignore' function which, as it says on the tin, allows you to ignore all contributions from that poster. Each time they post you will see nothing except a 'you are ignoring this poster' message. You will only see what they write if someone else re-quotes them. You can un-ignore the person if you wish at a later time.

PM - This forum also allows Personal Messages (PM). Feel free to use PM for private discussions, but be aware that PMs are subject to the same rules. If someone is sending abusive or threatening PMs, for example, you can report them to the mods and they will be subject to the same penalties as public posts. PM is great for swapping email addresses, ticket requests, etc.

Post Count - It doesn't matter on here. Whether you have 1 post or 10,000 you have the same rights to start topics, reply, post polls, etc. All we ask is that you behave and contribute positively, and you'll be a welcome addition.

Boards Sections. - For ease of use and to allow relevant posts to stay on page one longer, we have split the forum into separate sub sections.
1- Gaa Discussion. This was the original section, and currently is the home for all topics relating to football topics of general interest, or general GAA (rules, Opening of Croker etc) discussions.
2 - Hurling Discussion. No, it's not deemed outside the GAA, but this section was created to allow hurling topics to stay on page 1 a lot longer, as they were getting pushed out by football topics. This section of the board is for hurling threads the poster believes are of general interest, Matches, stories, etc etc.
3 - Local GAA Discussion. This section has a sub board for counties, and we can add more if necessary. These boards are where local, non general discussion are held for specific counties. Occasionally local type discussions are found on the general boards, and that's grand, especially if they are county finals, big local news etc, but generally speaking the fate of the Division 3 B All County Hurling Leage relegation candidates should be discussed in these sort of threads. Don't worry though, if we think a thread is in the wrong place, we'll just move it with a redirect message, no harm done.
4 - General Discussion, Non GAA. This section is the everything else part of the board. We are all lovers of GAA, but everyone has other interests. Be that soccer, rugby, NFL, or whatever. A question about holidays, has anyone been to Kuala Lumpur and where should I stay? This is the place for you, and I don't think I've ever seen a question go unanswered. We've had car advice, plumbing advice, travel advice and a multitude of other topics covered. Sometimes the advice is even sensible :D.

I think that's it, so once again, welcome aboard all newcomers, and it would be great to see the Hurling section in particular get a good boost, as we have some people on here who love their hurling, but it has been football dominated thus far. That may change now, and if it does great. If not, sure enjoy the chats anyhow.

tommysmith