Connacht Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by Syferus, September 11, 2012, 05:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 29, 2012, 10:21:48 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 29, 2012, 10:06:44 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 28, 2012, 06:52:28 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2012, 05:25:39 PM
Only listening to the bits of Willie we got between bouts of commentary from Longford -
Mulligan missed a penalty but despite Melvin leading 5-4 after 20 mins Brigid's then came to life and blew them away.
2-15 to 5 points in last 40 minutes !!

Ah ladeen, did ye not get your mammy's permission to go?  :D

Brigids slow start was caused as much by good Melvin Gaels play in the middle as much as lethargy in the Kiltoom men. Emlyn Mulligan and Frankie went toe-to-toe in the scoring stakes for the first half and both were excellent, even Mulligan's penalty miss aside. Frankie got a hit off the ball (by Mulligan the people around me were saying, but I would want confirmation that) just before half time and was pulled out at the half. Don't think it's serious, probably a precaution with bigger tests in sight. Darren Dolan too was injured early and probably should have been pull about 30 minutes before he actually was, he went down in a heap any time he kicked the ball.

Brigids are a machine at this point and have near endless ways to kill you. They have so many players capable of playing any number of positions at this point they resemble a county team more than a club side - Niall Grehan played as a half-forward today, Domican played corner-back and Ger Aherne in the middle. Places genuinely seem up for grabs and the two Mc's have done an impressive job so far keeping Brigids fresh when you might have expected them to be road-weary after the last two campaigns.

Cake was back in goal and the whole day was vintage Cake, from a yellow-card and penalty to wonderful vision with his kick-outs to kissing the ball after a save. Good for the heart and for Brigids that he's between the posts again.

If they play to their ability they will beat Salthill but much drop-off and Gary Cox will be the only Rossie emerging from Pearse Stadium with a Connacht final to look forward to.

So Brigids are a machine. And how many all Irelands have they won then?
This Ros grandstanding needs to be backed up with some medals.

I would have to say that the way fixtures are set up this year that Brigids will be coming into the AI semi nicely tested but not over stretched and ready to push on.  They will win the semi and will meet Dr Crokes in the final but I think Crokes will win it outright.  Both teams have been the most consistent outside of ourselves in the country of the last 3-4 years and will be in the Final come 17th march.

Cute Crossmaglen hoorism doesn't cut it for me...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hoof Hearted

the mind games king that is BCB1 strikes again !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 29, 2012, 10:50:02 AM

No mind games at all Hoof.  People seem to think we will simply coast to another title.  It is hard enough to win 1 nevermind 3 in a row!  The motivation that is needed is immense whereas the motivation for the likes of Crokes and Brigids is simple, we left one behind us last year or the year before.  The bodies of the Cross players are stretched to the limit at this stage and that is why it is harder for them to overcome injuries.  And while the squad is reasonable strong it has to be remembered that 2 of the consistent subs in the champiobship to date are both minors with one of them still playing McRory football!  It will be very tough to win Ulster never mind anything else.

ross4life

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 29, 2012, 11:31:39 AM

No mind games at all Hoof.  People seem to think we will simply coast to another title.  It is hard enough to win 1 nevermind 3 in a row!  The motivation that is needed is immense whereas the motivation for the likes of Crokes and Brigids is simple, we left one behind us last year or the year before.  The bodies of the Cross players are stretched to the limit at this stage and that is why it is harder for them to overcome injuries.  And while the squad is reasonable strong it has to be remembered that 2 of the consistent subs in the champiobship to date are both minors with one of them still playing McRory football!  It will be very tough to win Ulster never mind anything else.

Brigid's have been consistent they also have plenty of mileage on the clock, between league/championship they have been on the go non stop for the last three years. So far this year St Brigid's have done what's expected in winning the Roscommon league,championship & defeating the Leitrim champions now comes the big test as they travel to Salthill if they win it should give them the confidence to go on to win their 3rd in row Connacht title & TBH anything else will be a bonus from there. Crossmaglen on the other hand are favourites for both Ulster,All Ireland for a reason they are the real machine it's the success at all levels that drives them forward they have brought in alot of young players to freshen up the squad plus lowered the average age, they remind me of Kilkenny in hurling both same colours & both have the same desire to succeed & i'll will be surprised if they don't do three in row on Paddy's day.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

I think Crokes and Brigids have narrowed the gap on Cross this year. All three are rightly favoured for their provincials but the likes of Salthill and St. Galls have more than enough to cause shocks. For the pure theatre of those teams playing each other I hope they all make it to the AI series. I have a feeling someone else's name will be written on the Merrigan Cup this season, though.

galwayman

I don't see Salthill beating Brigids to be honest.
I would have fancied Corofin to beat them but they were caught by Tuam Stars in the semi final in Galway.
Salthill are pretty average to be honest

ross4life

Quote from: galwayman on October 29, 2012, 05:42:07 PM
I don't see Salthill beating Brigids to be honest.
I would have fancied Corofin to beat them but they were caught by Tuam Stars in the semi final in Galway.
Salthill are pretty average to be honest

St Brigid's will be favourites to win but it's been a long time since a seen average Galway winner. This current Salthill side have many members of their 2006 All Ireland winning team, Finian Hanley remains one of the best full backs in Connacht Seán Armstrong hasn't been able to bring his club form to inter county level though he's sure to cause Brigid's plenty of problems while we all know what Gary Cox is capable of. Over the last two years Brigids have come through some tough battles v Galway sides i don't expect any different in Salthill & they are more than capable of causing a upset.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 29, 2012, 11:31:39 AM

FWIW, i don't think Cross will win it this year either, but if i was a gambling man, i wouldnt be backing against them in any match from the next one to whenever the last one will be, 17th March or not. Experience will count for a lot from now on in, and although Crokes and Bridgids have exp aswell, cross have the know-how of how to WIN tight games.

Its a trait that Bellaghy had for years, and that Ballinderry have at the minute, but Cross are the masters. You should know, you played in a lot of them !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

macdanger2

How did McStay get to managing Brigids? Didn't realise he was involved until I heard him on he radio after the game yesterday.

What other experience has he as manager?

ross4life

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 29, 2012, 09:34:04 PM
How did McStay get to managing Brigids? Didn't realise he was involved until I heard him on he radio after the game yesterday.

What other experience has he as manager?

He's living in Roscommon. Managed Ros Gaels to a county title in 2004 & was the Mayo U21 manager in 2001 that reached AI final.

Syferus

Don't forget manager of the Roscommon minor team too, Ross4Life!

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on October 29, 2012, 10:01:37 PM
Don't forget manager of the Roscommon minor team too, Ross4Life!
Could hardly forget when Chris O'Dowd talked about it recently.

sligoman2

A little off topic but congrats to bunninaden who came from 11 or 12 pts down to beat st aidens in the intermediate championship today
Hopefully curry can do the same to the mayo champs from roscommon next week.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 04, 2012, 07:25:09 PM
A little off topic but congrats to bunninaden who came from 11 or 12 pts down to beat st aidens in the intermediate championship today

Were 12 down with 17 mins to go. Almost unbelievable position to lose a game from. The last score of the game was a Bunninaden goal that put them up by one.

The Ballyforan Express won't be a happy manager tonight.

ross4life

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 04, 2012, 07:25:09 PM

Yes would have to give huge credit to the Sligo men but any team up by 12 with 20mins to go should see it out. Charlestown still look the likely winners of Connacht intermediate. Also congrats to Oran on reaching the junior Connacht final they now face Ballinasloe.