Ulster Intermediate + Junior Football Club Championships 2012

Started by DownFanatic, September 08, 2012, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

How can Cookstown be allowed to compete in Ulster after winning it only a couple of years ago?  Teams who win a Junior / Intermediate title in hurling are not allowed to enter for a certain period of time as far as I can see.

theticklemister

Quote from: aontroim on October 09, 2012, 07:02:35 PM
How can Cookstown be allowed to compete in Ulster after winning it only a couple of years ago?  Teams who win a Junior / Intermediate title in hurling are not allowed to enter for a certain period of time as far as I can see.

it doesnt matter a toot; all that matters is that is that they compete at that level within their own county.

Swa are a huge strongly built team, their main players would be: Mickey Friel (Derry county midfielder, built like a shithouse and stands at 6'3''), Ruairi Convery (Ex all-ireland minor winning football midfielder, and stands at 6'6''),  James Kearney is very good at wing forward, Ryan Dillon has been back playing county football this year from wing back after a few years out.

Their main player, and someone who will be the mainstay of Derry football in years to come from CHB is Conor McAtamney; at only 18 he has been Swa's best player in my opinion for the last 2 years. Best catcher of the ball in the team believe it or not, even over Friel and Convery. Played well for St.Pat's Maghera in McRoary final from CHB.

By the looks of it, Killeavy may be favourites as they are competing well in the senior league in Armagh, while the rest are playing at the intermediate grade all summer.

theticklemister

Derry's reps for Junior Drum may still be on the last, they won the cship 3 weeks so it'll be a long oul wait for Ulster.

Derry traditionally do poorly in the Junior as the level between Intermediate and Junior is huge, with the same teams going up and down each year.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2012, 07:29:05 PM

it doesnt matter a toot; all that matters is that is that they compete at that level within their own county.

Swa are a huge strongly built team, their main players would be: Mickey Friel (Derry county midfielder, built like a shithouse and stands at 6'3''), Ruairi Convery (Ex all-ireland minor winning football midfielder, and stands at 6'6''),  James Kearney is very good at wing forward, Ryan Dillon has been back playing county football this year from wing back after a few years out.

Their main player, and someone who will be the mainstay of Derry football in years to come from CHB is Conor McAtamney; at only 18 he has been Swa's best player in my opinion for the last 2 years. Best catcher of the ball in the team believe it or not, even over Friel and Convery. Played well for St.Pat's Maghera in McRoary final from CHB.

By the looks of it, Killeavy may be favourites as they are competing well in the senior league in Armagh, while the rest are playing at the intermediate grade all summer.
Hard for me to gauge Armagh teams cos I didn't (and still don't) rate Culloville and they made last year's Ulster final, Killeavy I reckon play a nicer brand of football but still maintain that bit of physicality that comes in handy for football at this time of year (They'll now prob be the first team to bite the dust!!) . The only teams I'd be certain of not winning it would be (no disrespect) Aghagallon/Sarsfields from Antrim and Bosco if they come out of Down.

sam03/05

In Tyrone you dont get to choose to play in Intermediate Football, it is based on League positions. Cookstown got relegated out of Division One last year. That meant they were into Intermediate Grade. They did not opt to go and play in Intermediate Football, like some other counties, you dont have that option in Tyrone. Its not that they opted to go in with an All Ireland title in mind. So it is only right that they should go on and play in Ulster. There are three Leagues in Tyrone (Div1 Senior) (Div2Intermediate) (Div3jUNIOR). I do think it is wrong that teams can opt into Intermediate Championships when they are a Senior Club, playing in a Senior League, but this is certainly not the case with Cookstown, who id say would much prefer to be playing Senior Football in Tyrone.

theticklemister

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 09, 2012, 07:45:15 PM

Hard for me to gauge Armagh teams cos I didn't (and still don't) rate Culloville and they made last year's Ulster final, Killeavy I reckon play a nicer brand of football but still maintain that bit of physicality that comes in handy for football at this time of year (They'll now prob be the first team to bite the dust!!) . The only teams I'd be certain of not winning it would be (no disrespect) Aghagallon/Sarsfields from Antrim and Bosco if they come out of Down.

Seen culloville last year in the Ulster final, Criagbane from Derry i think won 7-6 or something. Culloville went down to 13 men by the end of the first half. They were a limited enough team, however McEntees game plan of simply bullying the Derry team came back to haunt him as the ref was correct on both counts to send the teams of. Culloville must of improved this year have they not? cause Cullyhanna were lucky to beat them in the quarter final of the championship in Armagh.
If Killeavy try the physical stuff against Swatragh they won't get far!

rodney trotter

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 09, 2012, 07:58:25 PM

In Tyrone you dont get to choose to play in Intermediate Football, it is based on League positions. Cookstown got relegated out of Division One last year. That meant they were into Intermediate Grade. They did not opt to go and play in Intermediate Football, like some other counties, you dont have that option in Tyrone. Its not that they opted to go in with an All Ireland title in mind. So it is only right that they should go on and play in Ulster. There are three Leagues in Tyrone (Div1 Senior) (Div2Intermediate) (Div3jUNIOR). I do think it is wrong that teams can opt into Intermediate Championships when they are a Senior Club, playing in a Senior League, but this is certainly not the case with Cookstown, who id say would much prefer to be playing Senior Football in Tyrone.

Thats a new one, opting to drop to intermediate. None of that in Cavan.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2012, 08:16:57 PM

Seen culloville last year in the Ulster final, Criagbane from Derry i think won 7-6 or something. Culloville went down to 13 men by the end of the first half. They were a limited enough team, however McEntees game plan of simply bullying the Derry team came back to haunt him as the ref was correct on both counts to send the teams of. Culloville must of improved this year have they not? cause Cullyhanna were lucky to beat them in the quarter final of the championship in Armagh.
Ah they're gameplan just typifies south Armagh cynicism! In fact it probably goes beyond that, I wouldn't credit it to McEntee either, it was there well before he came in and will be there long afer he goes! Cullyhanna were indeed lucky to beat them but they also got hammered by Pearse Og in the next game so that shows where those two teams are in the grand scheme of things!

Re Killeavy, can't imagine them being like Culloville, physically they should hold their own but they'll try and play football. Maybe once the competition is over we could send Culloville up to Swa and have a dance off!

theticklemister

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 09, 2012, 08:59:34 PM

Ah they're gameplan just typifies south Armagh cynicism! In fact it probably goes beyond that, I wouldn't credit it to McEntee either, it was there well before he came in and will be there long afer he goes! Cullyhanna were indeed lucky to beat them but they also got hammered by Pearse Og in the next game so that shows where those two teams are in the grand scheme of things!

Re Killeavy, can't imagine them being like Culloville, physically they should hold their own but they'll try and play football. Maybe once the competition is over we could send Culloville up to Swa and have a dance off!

No Partners for big Mickey Friel i'll bet!!!!

Ah a South Derry team versus a South Armagh team.................. if this 'dance-off' happened in the 1970s the RUC would have a field day and lift them all!!!lol!!

fitzroyalty

Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2012, 09:04:15 PM

Ah a South Derry team versus a South Armagh team.................. if this 'dance-off' happened in the 1970s the RUC would have a field day and lift them all!!!lol!!
Now I wouldn't be so sure, did you not see the big Monaghan lad Kingham playing for them last year. He'd be a similar sized brute of a man!

theticklemister

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 09, 2012, 09:08:18 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 09, 2012, 09:04:15 PM

Now I wouldn't be so sure, did you not see the big Monaghan lad Kingham playing for them last year. He'd be a similar sized brute of a man!

I seen him at full forward for Armagh....................................enough said!!!!

Mind ye i think yer lad Kingham may have been one of the lads who got sent off in the final last year; a big lad from midfield was one who got sent off

Sleater

Doohamlet from Monaghan are a very experienced, physically powerful team. Star man is Monaghan defender Colin Walsh who anchors them from CHB. He was one of the few Monaghan players to emerge with reputation intact from this year's ulster campaign. A player with scorching pace who reads the game superbly and is the launch pad for most of their attacks. Their other county player is Paul McArdle (squad player), who is mercurial and combustable in equal meassure. He's arguably the best free taker in Monaghan, consistently kicking scores from 45-50 yards. But he's a bit of a ticking time bomb.

Other key men for them are ex Monaghan players Shane and Ciaran McManus, Darren Connolly and Ted Duffy.

Lisnaskea beat Doohamlet by 3 pts, 2 years ago in the ulster final. I seen from websites they beat Bundoran, Sarsfields of Armagh and gave Derrylaughan of Tyrone a right trimming. Doohamlet made hard work of winning the Monaghan IFC final this year. They should have won a lot more comfortably than they did but hung on in the end. Deserving winners though and far and away best team at intermediate level in monaghan. Still, they'll came back down from senior next year as they have a paper thin squad. But their first 15 are strong and I think they are presently at full strength.

It'll be a good game between Doohamlet and winners of Swatragh / Cavan champs.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Sleater on October 09, 2012, 09:56:25 PM
Doohamlet from Monaghan are a very experienced, physically powerful team. Star man is Monaghan defender Colin Walsh who anchors them from CHB. He was one of the few Monaghan players to emerge with reputation intact from this year's ulster campaign. A player with scorching pace who reads the game superbly and is the launch pad for most of their attacks. Their other county player is Paul McArdle (squad player), who is mercurial and combustable in equal meassure. He's arguably the best free taker in Monaghan, consistently kicking scores from 45-50 yards. But he's a bit of a ticking time bomb.

Other key men for them are ex Monaghan players Shane and Ciaran McManus, Darren Connolly and Ted Duffy.

Lisnaskea beat Doohamlet by 3 pts, 2 years ago in the ulster final. I seen from websites they beat Bundoran, Sarsfields of Armagh and gave Derrylaughan of Tyrone a right trimming. Doohamlet made hard work of winning the Monaghan IFC final this year. They should have won a lot more comfortably than they did but hung on in the end. Deserving winners though and far and away best team at intermediate level in monaghan. Still, they'll came back down from senior next year as they have a paper thin squad. But their first 15 are strong and I think they are presently at full strength.

We (Lacken) played Tyholland in a challenge game earlier in the year. I thought they would won intermediate in Monaghan.. maybe not as good as Doohamlet if they were beaten in the final

We were close to full strength that day bar Ray Galligan. Think they were missing one or 2. They had a very good wing forward. Meegan I think it was.

Sleater

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 09, 2012, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: Sleater on October 09, 2012, 09:56:25 PM

We (Lacken) played Tyholland in a challenge game earlier in the year. I thought they would won intermediate in Monaghan.. maybe not as good as Doohamlet if they were beaten in the final

We were close to full strength that day bar Ray Galligan. Think they were missing one or 2. They had a very good wing forward. Meegan I think it was.

You sure it was a Meegan? No Meegan's play for Tyholland. Karl O'Connell normally plays for Tyholland in that position. O'Connell was a regular on the Monaghan team this year and scored the goal against antrim in Clones so it sounds like him you're referrring to.

A potential Killeavy - Cookstown fixture looks like the tie of the round.

In the Ulster JFC championship, you have to look at the Tyrone, Monaghan and Cavan clubs for a winner. Clubs from these counties have dominated the ulster junior club football championship. It's hard to look beyond previous winners Drumhowan in this competition. Though Brackaville and Mountnugent would be good contenders I suspect.

FermGael

If Cookstown win the Intermediate in Tyrone, can they represent Tyrone in the Ulster Club Intermediate series?

As they won the All Ireland title, I thought i read somewhere that they could not compete again at the provisional Intermediate level for 5 years.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered