Gilroy is Gone

Started by Any craic, September 05, 2012, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 05, 2012, 09:32:14 PM
Yes. Gilroy was good for the Dubs. Got rid of that Pillar bollixoligy of Dubs marching on the hill and all that soccer type shite. I'd imagine he couldn't do the juggle anymore and decided that he had enough and that it would be impolite to outstay the welcome.

Like all big counties I am sure that there was all sorts of shenningans going on in the background since the exit on Sunday with lads lining up to sharpen the knives.

Cannot say who will take the hotseat - I cannot see Dubs looking beyond the county. But for sheer divvilment I'd love to see Banty turn up in Parnell Park with a bag-of-balls and a CV under the oxter.

Now that photograph would command a big price. ;) :)

seafoid

He did all he could do with them and the all-Ireland was well deserved.

Kenny Dalglish is free and there are no south americans to manage.

ross matt

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2012, 09:26:41 PM
Personally I thought big Pat was brilliant with the Dubs.

He reached the holy grail last year and made Dublin a team that were notoriously hard to beat.

Any time I seen him or heard him, he was an absolute gentleman.

+1
Successful man on and off the field and always came across as an intelligent polite guy in the media. He can leave with his head held high.

Orangemac

When you consider the mess Dublin were in after getting hidings in 2008 and 2009 Gilroy did a great job of getting to 3 AI semi-finals and winning Sam last year.

Dublins success, a bit like Donegal was built more on perspiration than inspiration.It would be hard for Gilroy to have went to the well for another year.

Dublin seem to have a conveyor belt of talent coming through so the next manager will have plenty to work with over the next few years.

heffo

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 05, 2012, 09:32:14 PM

Like all big counties I am sure that there was all sorts of shenningans going on in the background since the exit on Sunday with lads lining up to sharpen the knives.

No sharpening of knives - County mgt to a man would've loved him to stay on.

Hardy

I'd love to see Banty getting his chance to do for Dublin what he did for us.

trileacman

I'd love to see Banty get the job and absolutely tank Mead in a Leinster final, f**k it would be some laugh.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

moysider

Pat Gilroy came accross as a top person during his term as Dublin manager. He conducted himself very professionally any time I saw him doing interviews etc.

There were some moans about him not giving Mayo any credit after the match on Sunday - but the reality is that the emphasis was always going to be on Dublin losing, especially among the Dubs - and Gilroy was bracing for the onslaught and getting a bit of a stance in. As others have said he can walk with dignity.

I suspect he got a few things wrong alright - even from this distance and not being overly interested in the Dublin scene.
There s one thing I didn t get - and not just this year or last. What is the story with McManamon? Even last year he was just an impact sub but to a neutral he looks the scariest Dublin forward about. The Brogans might have more craft and style but this fella can run through brick walls. Connolly just gets upset by any body within a considerable body space. that lesson was learned in the league. Cullen probably needs to get a bit harder on himself and go back to 6 and look at old McGeeney games.

Best of luck to Pat. Apparently he s done well for himself and he got Dublin over the line last year.

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ross matt

Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2012, 11:35:32 PM
Pat Gilroy came accross as a top person during his term as Dublin manager. He conducted himself very professionally any time I saw him doing interviews etc.

There were some moans about him not giving Mayo any credit after the match on Sunday - but the reality is that the emphasis was always going to be on Dublin losing, especially among the Dubs - and Gilroy was bracing for the onslaught and getting a bit of a stance in. As others have said he can walk with dignity.

I suspect he got a few things wrong alright - even from this distance and not being overly interested in the Dublin scene.
There s one thing I didn t get - and not just this year or last. What is the story with McManamon? Even last year he was just an impact sub but to a neutral he looks the scariest Dublin forward about. The Brogans might have more craft and style but this fella can run through brick walls. Connolly just gets upset by any body within a considerable body space. that lesson was learned in the league. Cullen probably needs to get a bit harder on himself and go back to 6 and look at old McGeeney games.

Best of luck to Pat. Apparently he s done well for himself and he got Dublin over the line last year.

Agree Moysider. Could never understand that myself. Unless it's  a case that he doesn't have the stamina for a full match or something...

Dinny Breen

You really have admire Dublin GAA - we can moan about their unfair advantages but it's how they utilise those advantages that you have to respect, Gilroy has put in fantastic senior structures and to compliment that their County Board have succession planning down to a tee and the underage age structures are second to none in the country. Pat Gilroy did a great job for Dublin but his legacy is what he leaves the next manager with, 95 and 83 were titles won at the beginning of the end of a cycle, it's hard not to think the 2011 was only the end of the beginning for this Dublin set-up.
#newbridgeornowhere

rrhf

I must admit I think its a phenomenal  loss to Dublin football - I thought he was a greta man altogether, and i agree there may be more all irelands in Dublin but can anyone else see O Gara or bastich as typical multiple all ireland winners. 

Up The Middle

Fair play too him he did a great job and was never afraid to take any player off no matter who he was.

I see a lot of people saying he is succesful on and off the field, what does he do for a living?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

johnneycool

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 06, 2012, 02:03:47 PM
Fair play too him he did a great job and was never afraid to take any player off no matter who he was.

I see a lot of people saying he is succesful on and off the field, what does he do for a living?

Luas driver i think.

heffo

Quote from: Up The Middle on September 06, 2012, 02:03:47 PM

CEO of Dalkia