Donegal at war over where to bring home Sam

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 04, 2012, 04:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2012, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 06, 2012, 09:16:54 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 06, 2012, 08:57:04 PM
Move on. Nothing to see here. Can this thread be locked?

Donegal town to host homecoming
06 September 2012

The Donegal footballers won't be breaking with tradition for their All-Ireland final homecoming.

Donegal town, which has traditionally hosted homecoming celebrations, has been confirmed as the venue for welcome home party for the Ulster champions, despite an attempt by Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce to move the event to Letterkenny. Speaking yesterday, Jim McGuinness described the controversy as "disrespectful" to both Donegal and Mayo.

The chairman of the Four Masters GAA club Sean Dunnion, confirmed today that the team would be returning to Donegal town the night after the All-Ireland final.

"There will be a reception for the team on Monday, September 24 at around 8pm on the Diamond, whatever the result. The team and management deserve a great reception, whether they win or not. They've worked so hard throughout the year," he told The Donegal Democrat.

"We had notification from the county board this morning that our application to host the event was successful. We are absolutely delighted with the news.

"It's a pity that the issue of where the homecoming reception would be held became something of a distraction over the last four-five days, but we know that the team and management have remained focused. We're just glad that we can get on with working away quietly preparing to welcome them back and show them how much we appreciate all they've done."

Apparently they have won it already? I'm sure that's what I heard people say after the demolition of Cork in the semi???

Don't worry boys, the backlash is due to begin soon, if it hasn't already. Mayo will have plenty of backers in the press as well.

Not that it means much but no we will not have plenty of backers! That s not going to happen.

Mayo s last 15 mins v Dublin have cemented the view that Donegal are the just heirs. Donegal are just going to have to deal with that and too be honest I don t think it s a big deal. If a team can t perform when expected to then they are flawed - as we were in 97.

The homecoming thing is gas. A few Donegals at work are playing it cool. When the homecoming stuff came up I pointed out that we would fly him in to Knock. It was quickly pointed out - by the most grounded Donegal - that it would be the second miracle on that hollowed ground!

Hmmmmmm. Nothing wrong with a bit of cockiness when you know your stuff.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Seems the owner of the Bog bar, the fella up the Bluestacks has offered his shebeen as neutral ground for Donegal's "celebrations"  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

sans pessimism

Quote from: stew on September 04, 2012, 10:36:57 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on September 04, 2012, 10:12:19 PM
I would agree with that, there has been alot of shite said about donegal getting carried away, a lot of it is pure nonsense.
And by the way, nothing wrong with talking about homecomings, its f**k all to do with arrogance, a team has a homecoming win or lose, and donegal's will surely be massive so let people enjoy the hype!

As i said before earlier in the year even before armagh were put out ( as i knew they wouldnt make semi final at least), these are the 2 sides i wanted in the final. I would be worried though for my slight favourite, donegal. I made them firm favourities after the ulster final, long before beating kerry and cork. I think it's being set up far too much for a donegal fall.

But i've noticed far too much poor mouthing from mayo, since before the down match even, about not getting enough credit. Though i actually do rate mayo very well, how much credit did mayo people really need after beating leitrim and sligo, like come on. I agree armagh used to say the same thing leading up to 2002, i hate that shite. Win the frigging sam and get all the credit in the world then

I hope Donegal beat Mayo............................. just because of one or two of the Mayo heads on here, they seem to forget they tend to shite the togs most of the time they even see Croker, let alone play on her.

It is however refreshing to get an AI free from Kerry and Tyrone, that is a nice change and if Mayo do win it then fair fecks to them.

In 77 we had a massive crowd out to see our team come home after getting destroyed by the Dubs and JK in particular, it is an important part of the AI experience and despite the shit stirring from one or two of the Mayo wans it has feck all to do with arrogance or over confidence and everything to do with tradition, future planning and public safety.
Yawn.....tired,cliched,boring ,drivel.Check the stats like a good maneen
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Love the complete disrespect of Mayo in the comments after the article.

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/09/04/donegal-fan-says-he-will-leave-car-at-croker-if-team-dont-win-sam/

DONEGAL FAN SAYS HE WILL LEAVE CAR AT CROKER IF TEAM DON'T WIN SAM!
September 4, 2012

A Donegal GAA fan has vowed to leave his amazing new car in Dublin if his team lose the All Ireland Final.
Martin O'Donnell from Dungloe has been turning heads since he spent a "small fortune" customising his car after Donegal reached the final.

Martin, who owns Dungloe Carbreakers, spent days overhauling his 1998 Opel Corsa.

The car is wrapped in a complete picture of Donegal GAA manager Jim McGuinness and his team.

Martin said he loves his car but admits he couldn't face driving it around if Donegal leave Croke Park without the Sam Maguire Cup.

"I can't even think about Donegal not winning the All Ireland and bringing Sam back to Donegal.

"I've spent a lot of time on the car and it's really turning a lot of heads and getting great reaction.

"Some people are painting their cars and adding bits and pieces and that's great. But I think we have gone one step further," he said.

Martin plans to park the car outside Croke Park on the day of the big game against Mayo on September 23rd.

However he admits that he'll find it difficult to get back into the customized machine if his team lose.

"If we win we'll have a great time and I'll leave the picture of the team on the car.

"I don't know what I'll do if we lose.

"I might have to leave it in Dublin altogether but I just couldn't get into it again without coming home with Sam," he added.

cadence

meh, or we could ditch the outrage and apply the chill-pill approach....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

ck

Today I spoke to pretty well known former county manager. His quote went like this;
"I'd go as far as to say Donegal are the surest bet in an All-Ireland final that any of us have ever seen. If Mayo perform well, it'll be a decent first half. That's as good as it'll get for Mayo I'm afraid"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ck on September 07, 2012, 10:39:02 PM
Today I spoke to pretty well known former county manager. His quote went like this;
"I'd go as far as to say Donegal are the surest bet in an All-Ireland final that any of us have ever seen. If Mayo perform well, it'll be a decent first half. That's as good as it'll get for Mayo I'm afraid"

The last laugh will be on Clew Bay's Shores.

sans pessimism

Quote from: ck on September 07, 2012, 10:39:02 PM
;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Capt Pat

If the mindset of the DOnegal fans gets through to the Donegal players they could be in trouble. Their fans will be in for some shock if and when they lose.

cadence

i can only speak for myself, and that i wouldn't be happy if we got beat, as a fan how could you be to see your side beat in a final. this sadness would be tempered though by the fact that i've a top notch donegal team to support, who've given me two years of great moments. what more could you ask for as a supporter? the big prize yes, but to be munching away at the top table with the big boys, that's what it's all about too. these are heady days, big days out, and i'm going to enjoy them while they're here because they won't last for ever. i've also got a feeling we'll be strong again next season regardless of the result, perhaps that wee bit more ravenous if we get beat. and if we do get beat, they'll be no knee-jerk reactions and the team around the team will stay the same for a good number of years. i'd hope mcguinness gets to stay for as long as he likes and that as long as he likes is a very long time indeed. i'd also expect mayo to stick with the personnel they have as i think this is a lethal side that can be as good as anything the rest of the country has for a while as well. i wouldn't take umbrage to mayo being confident and happy about their prospects. this mayo side are a different animal. better run, better tactics, more solid all round and a right handful to stop too as you'd expect from mayo sides. they don't choke, they can dog it out and so i wouldn't be overly cautious about being optimistic if i was a mayo fan.       

rrhf

Listen Cadence
You need to win this final you are playing this month, stop thinking about next years big win.  There are 30 other counties in Ireland having to do that already not by choice.  I dont agree that you can predict being there for a long time, you win because you are good enough at the time, but you lose because you are overtaken by others betternext time round - sometimes the same things dont have the same effect.  Form can disappear faster than a salami sandwich in front of Fearon, ask the dubs?  The only thing you are sure about is that neither Donegal and Mayo for various reasons will ever get a better chance of winning Sam than this month.  Take it!     

Aaron Boone

Only place is Eyre Square Galway for Liam on Monday night. No discussion needed.

cadence

Quote from: rrhf on September 08, 2012, 06:01:45 PM
Listen Cadence
You need to win this final you are playing this month, stop thinking about next years big win.  There are 30 other counties in Ireland having to do that already not by choice.  I dont agree that you can predict being there for a long time, you win because you are good enough at the time, but you lose because you are overtaken by others betternext time round - sometimes the same things dont have the same effect.  Form can disappear faster than a salami sandwich in front of Fearon, ask the dubs?  The only thing you are sure about is that neither Donegal and Mayo for various reasons will ever get a better chance of winning Sam than this month.  Take it!   

of course there's a final to win, one game at a time and all that jazz. and hopefully we will take it. but it's also true that by committing to something long term you commit for a reason. and i'd put my money on us giving it a good lash with the same people on board next year. i don't accept your argument that the same things don't work, because they do. we all know that's the purpose of training, practising your skills, evaluating yourself and others objectively and developing strategies. you keep doing these and you get better.

as far as form is concerned, dublin were not as good as they were last year. they're a big game team who benefit from tough competition and they were undercooked compared to last year and to me this is down to the draw they had. tough battles against kildare, tyrone and donegal set them up nicely. + their tactics against mayo were a bit off. not saying they would have won, but i think they would have given themselves a better chance with different tactics. should have kept things tighter first half.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

cadence