Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

Came back with an intermittent crankshaft sensor after it was plugged in. £110 + Vat to have it repaired.

what do we think serious? Safe to Ignore?

GJL

Quote from: pullhard on October 12, 2015, 03:07:39 PM
Came back with an intermittent crankshaft sensor after it was plugged in. £110 + Vat to have it repaired.

what do we think serious? Safe to Ignore?

If it fails the car will stop and not start again. Your gamble.

pullhard

fair enough, i'll get it booked in. is it a fair price? Is it DIY-able?

mikehunt

Prob a bit off topic but looking for a 2nd car. Seen one on CarZone. 2008 2.0 Mondeo. Less than 50k miles. €8k. I think it seems a reasonable price but maybe a bit too reasonable? It's with a dealer so comes with warranty.Thinking of going for a look but don't want a wasted journey.

GJL

Quote from: pullhard on October 12, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
fair enough, i'll get it booked in. is it a fair price? Is it DIY-able?

Not really, as far as I remember it is inside the gearbox bell housing. Good enough price.

omagh_gael

GJL, any idea on what would be a reasonable price to fit a turbo. It's a Peugeot 207 1.6hdi, apparently that engine is notorious for dodgy turbos.

GJL

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 12, 2015, 11:31:06 PM
GJL, any idea on what would be a reasonable price to fit a turbo. It's a Peugeot 207 1.6hdi, apparently that engine is notorious for dodgy turbos.

Labour charge could be around £100ish

snoopdog

Quote from: mikehunt on October 12, 2015, 03:34:42 PM
Prob a bit off topic but looking for a 2nd car. Seen one on CarZone. 2008 2.0 Mondeo. Less than 50k miles. €8k. I think it seems a reasonable price but maybe a bit too reasonable? It's with a dealer so comes with warranty.Thinking of going for a look but don't want a wasted journey.
Diesel or petrol?  If petrol I'd say it's overpriced to be honest. I sold an immaculate 1.8 mazda 6 private granted it was a 06 but only got 3000 for it.

Ulick

Considering putting two winter tyres on the front of a (front wheel drive) Sharan. The back two standard tyres are in good condition.
Have been Googling around and there doesn't seem to be consensus on whether this is wise or not. Most of the driving in this car is done in the west Wicklow i.e. mountainous, windy roads that are cold and damp from now until spring. The extra grip and traction on the drive axle to me seems safer than the risks of it been uneven with the rear axle.
Any thoughts?

GJL

Quote from: Ulick on October 13, 2015, 12:32:15 PM
Considering putting two winter tyres on the front of a (front wheel drive) Sharan. The back two standard tyres are in good condition.
Have been Googling around and there doesn't seem to be consensus on whether this is wise or not. Most of the driving in this car is done in the west Wicklow i.e. mountainous, windy roads that are cold and damp from now until spring. The extra grip and traction on the drive axle to me seems safer than the risks of it been uneven with the rear axle.
Any thoughts?

Good enough idea. 4 would be ideal but 2 on the front is better than nothing. 

DickyRock

Am I doomed to get a people carrier.   :-\

Got number 3 on the way (that's us done), so does anyone have any ideas on cars that would take 3 car seats. Come February I'll have  a 5.5 yr old, a 1.5 yr old and a new born. So basically one iso fix and two high back chairs.

If I had no option I'd probably look at an s-max but boy they do lose their value quickly.

johnneycool

Quote from: DickyRock on October 19, 2015, 09:19:50 AM

Got number 3 on the way (that's us done), so does anyone have any ideas on cars that would take 3 car seats. Come February I'll have  a 5.5 yr old, a 1.5 yr old and a new born. So basically one iso fix and two high back chairs.

If I had no option I'd probably look at an s-max but boy they do lose their value quickly.

f**k that, a good sized family hatchback or a saloon would be better. A Mondeo or Superb would give you enough room and a decent boot for the 'travel system'.

GJL

Quote from: johnneycool on October 19, 2015, 12:05:56 PM
Quote from: DickyRock on October 19, 2015, 09:19:50 AM

f**k that, a good sized family hatchback or a saloon would be better. A Mondeo or Superb would give you enough room and a decent boot for the 'travel system'.

Audi A6 has a big back seat that will take 3. If you go for the estate version you also will have a massive boot.

Link

Got the letter from VW about the call back due to the emissions scandal.
I will need to bring my motor in for a service. Any idea what changes will be made to the car? Will it affect fuel consumption?

Do i have any comeback with the dealer? only bought within the last 2 months (car is 2012).

theskull1

I think that consumption isn't going to be the thing that changes much. I'd heard that power could be affected though. Anyone else hear that?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera