Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the sideline

Quote from: GJL on October 03, 2015, 08:58:04 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on October 03, 2015, 04:16:29 PM
Just after getting an 'Emission Warning - Garage!' message on the car when I start it up.  It's a 2007 Jetta. The engine warning light then stays on when the car is going. Is it still ok to drive?  Need it tomorrow! Anyone came across this or anything like it before? Thanks.

Would need plugged in. Has it dropped in power? Should be OK to drive.

Yeah I have noticed an initial drop in power when I take off, but after that it seems to be driving ok.  Would I need to go to a dealer to get it plugged in?

GJL

Not necessary to go to a dealer. Any decent mechanic will have the computer to do it and will charge a lot less.

on the sideline

Quote from: GJL on October 04, 2015, 07:46:05 PM
Not necessary to go to a dealer. Any decent mechanic will have the computer to do it and will charge a lot less.

Good man, thanks, I'll get on to it in the morning!

GJL

Quote from: on the sideline on October 04, 2015, 09:22:08 PM

My guess is dpf or associated sensors. If not that maybe egr valve.

johnneycool

Quote from: on the sideline on October 03, 2015, 04:16:29 PM
Just after getting an 'Emission Warning - Garage!' message on the car when I start it up.  It's a 2007 Jetta. The engine warning light then stays on when the car is going. Is it still ok to drive?  Need it tomorrow! Anyone came across this or anything like it before? Thanks.

I've a 2006 Jetta and the emission warning light has been on for 2 plus years now, no bother at all.

I think in my instance its some throttle control valve under the EGR which went awry when I stalled the car at a set of lights and started it again quite quickly. Only noticeable difference is it'd be a bit noisier idling and when you turn off the engine. Other than that, no issues.

on the sideline

Quote from: GJL on October 04, 2015, 09:48:44 PM

Was due to leave the car over at the garage this evening, but the light and warning message - which had been there all day, were gone!lol So if they don't come back on I'm just gonna drive away at her. Strange! :o

93-DY-SAM

If it was the DPF it could have gone though a regeneration to clear itself and knocked the warning message out.

GJL

Quote from: on the sideline on October 05, 2015, 11:05:19 PM
Quote from: GJL on October 04, 2015, 09:48:44 PM

Was due to leave the car over at the garage this evening, but the light and warning message - which had been there all day, were gone!lol So if they don't come back on I'm just gonna drive away at her. Strange! :o
I'd be very surprised if it does not come back.

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 06, 2015, 12:11:29 AM
If it was the DPF it could have gone though a regeneration to clear itself and knocked the warning message out.

As far as I know as soon as the light comes on it is beyond automatic regeneration and stops trying. It then requires a forced regeneration by mechanic's computer or the dpf needs removed and cleaned.

theskull1

What's the success of dpf cleaning nowadays GJL? Is there good products/equipment out there that do a good job?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pullhard

Sorry to drop in with a question. Glow plug light flashing and engine light on in our skoda.  Any ideas? All brake and reverse lights are working

redzone

pullhard

redzone

On some cars this is sign of emission problem. Sometimes if ure on the red this can trigger it. So my mechanic told me

armaghniac

Because you paid for the real stuff doesn't always mean that your filling station did.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pullhard

Normally use shell or BP for diesel