Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Cheers lads. Will have a look later.
Would it fail an NCT because of this?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on August 04, 2015, 01:14:58 PM
Cheers lads. Will have a look later.
Would it fail an NCT because of this?

It fails MOT up here so I would presume it will fail NCT as well :(

whatifs

Hi Lads have around 2-3k to spend on a second car for lad travelling to uni,what does anyone recommend and what to avoid,have been told to look at fords and avoid renaults,seems you can pick up lateish years renaults at good money,are they that bad??

under the bar

Get him a 10 yr old Toyota and you won't need to be getting it fixed every few months.  He can give lifts to Uni mates on a Fri or Sun to pay for the diesel when he's coming home to get a proper feed and his clothes washed. 

doodaa

Buy a 306/406/xantia/zx/xsara 1.9 turbo diesel and run it on red/green/heating oil/ veggy oil, whatever you fancy and stick the leftover £1500 in your pocket.
Easy run, easy fixed and it wont ever die.

Canalman

Quote from: under the bar on August 04, 2015, 08:08:29 PM
Get him a 10 yr old Toyota and you won't need to be getting it fixed every few months.  He can give lifts to Uni mates on a Fri or Sun to pay for the diesel when he's coming home to get a proper feed and his clothes washed.

Yep. Toyota all the way at that price range. Never heard anyone ever griping about their Toyota car.

Apparently so

Dont get your cub a toyota ffs, no much of a fanny magnet so they're no

general_lee

Quote from: Apparently so on August 05, 2015, 04:35:58 PM
plenty of fanny to be had with a coupe

doodaa

Quote from: general_lee on August 05, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
Quote from: Apparently so on August 05, 2015, 04:35:58 PM
plenty of fanny to be had with a coupe

Itl be a ropey tin can at £2.5k! :o

snoopdog

Plenty of celica about. Insurance would be pricey though for a youngster.  But they do look the part.

gallsman

A few weeks ago I was rear ended (behave!) which did minor damage to the back bumper. The third party's assessor has written the car off (it's a 99 Almera worth about as much as a packet of crisps) but reckons a tiny bit of bodywork is more than enough to have it roadworthy, especially as I'm leaving the country in October and only need it to last me another 6/7 weeks. The car passed its NCT in April.

In order to get it back on the road, I've to have it declared roadworthy by an assessor at my own cost and send the report to my insurer.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How do I go about it? Any idea of ballpark estimates for how much it might cost for the report?

supersarsfields

Hi GallsMan.

Should be handy enough done. Where are you based? If it's NI, I could give you a few people that might be able to do it for you. Was it a Cat C or D write of?  Fee from an assessor should be £70-100 (Or rather used to be!!)

gallsman

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 17, 2015, 03:25:07 PM
Hi GallsMan.

Should be handy enough done. Where are you based? If it's NI, I could give you a few people that might be able to do it for you. Was it a Cat C or D write of?  Fee from an assessor should be £70-100 (Or rather used to be!!)

Cat C. Unfortunately based in south Dublin. Cheapest I can find is 125. Hopefully can get it back if I can flog it when I'm leaving.

nrico2006

Was wondering if anybody knew the answer to what to do with timing chains?  I have a MK3 Mondeo that has a timing chain and done 94k miles.  Are these meant to be changed or what?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

snoopdog

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 26, 2015, 01:55:58 PM
Was wondering if anybody knew the answer to what to do with timing chains?  I have a MK3 Mondeo that has a timing chain and done 94k miles.  Are these meant to be changed or what?

From my understanding timing chains dont usually need changed, but they have been known to break. id say get your mechanic to have a quick look at it to see if he thinks its ok. i had a mazda 6 with over 90,000 miles on it and the chain was never changed. with 94k i would think your safe enough. But im not a mechanic.