Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2015, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 09:44:11 AM
Went to start the car for the school run this morning and practically nothing, radio came on and a few lights, was driving ok yesterday - looked under bonnet took all the plastic shite off and battery was corroded as hell, disconnected battery - cleaned all the shite off and now when i reconnect it just makes a knocking sound like its trying to start even know engine is switched off, and the alarm roars, so have disconnected it again, I take it I need a new battery?  If I get one and reconnect would it need jump started or should it work first time?  It is a 2005 Toyota Avensis.
I blame the Gays.

It's amazing how derogatory some people can be about homosexual individuals, unless you are trying to be somehow witty or come across as clever, in which case you have failed miserably, wonder if AZ would classify you as sneering, I certainly would say you are being disrespectful to the gay community trying to get a cheap laugh at their expense and people talk on here about irony.  Jesus wept.

;D ;D ;D

I think he succeeded magnificently.
MWWSI 2017

StephenC

Stop trying to start something topcuppla.

topcuppla

Quote from: muppet on May 21, 2015, 12:14:59 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 21, 2015, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 21, 2015, 09:44:11 AM
Went to start the car for the school run this morning and practically nothing, radio came on and a few lights, was driving ok yesterday - looked under bonnet took all the plastic shite off and battery was corroded as hell, disconnected battery - cleaned all the shite off and now when i reconnect it just makes a knocking sound like its trying to start even know engine is switched off, and the alarm roars, so have disconnected it again, I take it I need a new battery?  If I get one and reconnect would it need jump started or should it work first time?  It is a 2005 Toyota Avensis.
I blame the Gays.

It's amazing how derogatory some people can be about homosexual individuals, unless you are trying to be somehow witty or come across as clever, in which case you have failed miserably, wonder if AZ would classify you as sneering, I certainly would say you are being disrespectful to the gay community trying to get a cheap laugh at their expense and people talk on here about irony.  Jesus wept.

;D ;D ;D

I think he succeeded magnificently.

Take it you need a few, help yourself hopefully your keyboard was spared.

trueblue1234

Hi can I just check is a Engine management light on a fail for the MOT? I thought it was but I've been very kindly told by a garage that it isn't? The ERG valve is causing the problem, I think it needs cleaned out/ replaced. But it's not causing any issues with performance. Have an upcoming MOT and was wondering do I need to rush this through or can it wait until after the MOT?

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GJL

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 28, 2015, 01:52:42 PM
Hi can I just check is a Engine management light on a fail for the MOT? I thought it was but I've been very kindly told by a garage that it isn't? The ERG valve is causing the problem, I think it needs cleaned out/ replaced. But it's not causing any issues with performance. Have an upcoming MOT and was wondering do I need to rush this through or can it wait until after the MOT?

Def NOT a fail.

theskull1

Quote from: GJL on May 28, 2015, 01:54:04 PM

Def NOT a fail.

+1
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

trueblue1234

Cheers. Is the ERG likely to cause any additional trouble to the car if it's not fixed quickly?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

take_yer_points

Quote from: theskull1 on May 28, 2015, 01:54:54 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 28, 2015, 01:54:04 PM

Def NOT a fail.

+1

My engine management light's been on for the last 2 tests and not a word about it

tyrone girl

Theres been like a chugging rubbing noise coming from front of my car this past week or two. More like a slow chugging noise more than anything else. Cars a bit sluggish but nothing out of the ordinary. It feels like im driving on a bumpy road all the time though.

Anyone any ideas?

macdanger2

I've recently changed from a petrol to a diesel and it's coming up to servicing time so I need some advice

I've previously serviced (basic stuff like filters, plugs, brake pads) my petrol motor - what's different with servicing a diesel? Obviously no plugs but is there something additional that needs to be done periodically? Once I know what to service, I presume I'd be able to get enough from youtube to do the job

Thanks

StGallsGAA

The wife's Toureg has something funny going on with the drivers door. It will close fine most of the time but now and again the catch mechanism is already engaged and bangs against the metal post. You then need to pull the handle and release it manually with your fingers.  Any idea what's wrong? 

laoislad

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 06, 2015, 02:42:45 PM
The wife's Toureg has something funny going on with the drivers door. It will close fine most of the time but now and again the catch mechanism is already engaged and bangs against the metal post. You then need to pull the handle and release it manually with your fingers. Any idea what's wrong?
Yeah it's a Toureg.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

general

07 Passat 2.0 nothing but torture

need electric handbrake changed and or back right caliper replaced

much we talking?

majestic

Have a bad rattle coming from my exhaust - dropped it into a kwik fit just to see if it could be an easy fix!! told me that the backets are all rusted and have boken off! And that I need a whole new back section (£240) I would have thought you could just get new brackets, and will this cause it to faile MOT? Cheers

Over the Bar

This seems to have turned into a thread that's heavy on problems but light on advice! :/