Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: on the sideline on April 23, 2015, 12:02:11 AM
Has anyone ever experienced this?

Came out of work this afternoon to find all 4 windows had opened fully by themselves.
This is the second time it has happened, the last being over a year ago, but seeing as it seemed to be a once off my mechanic said not to worry about it.

I'm lucky that it's a secure car park at work, but worried about this happening anywhere else!

Would the heat have had some kind of effect today? But then again it's not happened on equally hot or hotter days before.

btw the car was locked, but the alarm didn't go off which also surprised me. 

It's a 2007 Jetta.

Where was the key at the time.  Pressing and holding down the unlock button on your key will start to put the windows down until they are fully down or you release it.  Holding the lock button down puts them up again.  Any chance you might have accidentally pressed this while the keys where in your pocket or else where?

on the sideline

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 23, 2015, 02:24:04 PM

Came out of work this afternoon to find all 4 windows had opened fully by themselves.
This is the second time it has happened, the last being over a year ago, but seeing as it seemed to be a once off my mechanic said not to worry about it.

I'm lucky that it's a secure car park at work, but worried about this happening anywhere else!

Would the heat have had some kind of effect today? But then again it's not happened on equally hot or hotter days before.

It's a 2007 Jetta.

Where was the key at the time.  Pressing and holding down the unlock button on your key will start to put the windows down until they are fully down or you release it.  Holding the lock button down puts them up again.  Any chance you might have accidentally pressed this while the keys where in your pocket or else where?

Yeah this must be what happened, or at least I hope it was anyway! Never knew the car had this feature, but tried it today and worked as you said.  Thanks for the help! And Agent Orange too!

muppet

Quote from: on the sideline on April 23, 2015, 07:09:57 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on April 23, 2015, 02:24:04 PM

It's a 2007 Jetta.

Yeah this must be what happened, or at least I hope it was anyway! Never knew the car had this feature, but tried it today and worked as you said.  Thanks for the help! And Agent Orange too!

I found my old car completely soaked inside as a result of this.

Next time in the garage get them to de-activate this feature which I believe is only a matter of moving a switch or a breaker.
MWWSI 2017

GJL

Well done to Tyrone's Kris Meeke on winning Rally Argintena. It is his first win in the WRC. He is a great lad and I'm delighted for him. 🚗🚗🚗. Also a great result for his co-driver Paul Nagle from Kerry.

BenDover

Car had not been drove for a few days. Got into it earlier started it, engine turned over and then it died. Took me another 4 tries to get it going again. If it's driven everyday no bother starting it the next day but can't seem to leave it sitting for any greater period of time. Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 diesel.

armaghniac

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 08:52:44 PM
Car had not been drove for a few days. Got into it earlier started it, engine turned over and then it died. Took me another 4 tries to get it going again. If it's driven everyday no bother starting it the next day but can't seem to leave it sitting for any greater period of time. Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 diesel.

What age is the battery?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

Sounds like a bit of air is getting into the diesel system and you are having to turn it over to bleed the air out.

BenDover

Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2015, 09:00:07 PM

What age is the battery?
Just changed it to a new one a few weeks ago

BenDover

Quote from: GJL on May 05, 2015, 09:02:39 PM

Sounds like a bit of air is getting into the diesel system and you are having to turn it over to bleed the air out.
Anything I should be looking at getting my mechanic to specifically check for this?

GJL

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:03:55 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 05, 2015, 09:00:07 PM

What age is the battery?
Just changed it to a new one a few weeks ago

Was the car serviced at the same time?

BenDover

No car was serviced last June, changed the battery myself.

GJL

OK. It may be a bit of air getting in but I remember having a vectra doing something similar before and it turned out to be the starter motor. It was not turning the engine over at a high enough rpm so took a while to fire up.

snoopdog

Hi, does anyone know if Bull/Nudge bars are illegal or if the effect your insurance premium?
i believe i need to use EU certified ones. Living in the south.

Agent Orange

Quote from: snoopdog on May 06, 2015, 12:12:31 PM
Hi, does anyone know if Bull/Nudge bars are illegal or if the effect your insurance premium?

Why would you want them? Do you live in a caravan?

snoopdog

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 06, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 06, 2015, 12:12:31 PM

Why would you want them? Do you live in a caravan?

nah they just enhance the look of the motor i think.
Another silly question can you reregister a car in the south for example if you buy a kerry reg can you re reg it in Galway and how much do the charge for that?