Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

As it is not Warranty related, could an independent garage e.g.GJL replace it without  a affecting the Service  History?

What type of car is it and where is the pipe?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

andoireabu

It's a 2008 ford focus.  I'm trying to figure out whether it comes under the warranty or not since it is connected to the engine. Dealer says it isn't but he was happy to sort out suspension parts for me after it failed the n.c.t even though he said the warranty only covers main engine parts and the gearbox.  However with this it just seems he doesn't want to do it.  As to where the pipe is the mechanic i took it to yesterday couldn't pin point where the damage is and said it could be a few different places. They would need to go digging hence the few hours labour they told me it would be.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

TabClear

Quote from: andoireabu on December 12, 2014, 02:57:44 PM
It's a 2008 ford focus.  I'm trying to figure out whether it comes under the warranty or not since it is connected to the engine. Dealer says it isn't but he was happy to sort out suspension parts for me after it failed the n.c.t even though he said the warranty only covers main engine parts and the gearbox.  However with this it just seems he doesn't want to do it.  As to where the pipe is the mechanic i took it to yesterday couldn't pin point where the damage is and said it could be a few different places. They would need to go digging hence the few hours labour they told me it would be.

I'm no mechanic but if they are replacing the pipe why does this matter?

andoireabu

Quote from: TabClear on December 12, 2014, 03:04:35 PM

It doesn't really but denn asked where it was and i'm not totally sure. Think it is down the right hand side of the engine as you look in.

GJL

Quote from: andoireabu on December 12, 2014, 03:33:32 PM

It doesn't really but denn asked where it was and i'm not totally sure. Think it is down the right hand side of the engine as you look in.

If it is still in the warranty period then he needs to cover it. Mention the sale of goods act and consumer's rights. Watch him jump then!

andoireabu

Quote from: GJL on December 12, 2014, 03:48:53 PM

If it is still in the warranty period then he needs to cover it. Mention the sale of goods act and consumer's rights. Watch him jump then!

That's what i like to hear! Could the warranty he offers exclude things though or is there a general warranty that covers cars.  I know consumables aren't covered but this isn't a consumable.

GJL

Quote from: andoireabu on December 12, 2014, 04:00:03 PM

That's what i like to hear! Could the warranty he offers exclude things though or is there a general warranty that covers cars.  I know consumables aren't covered but this isn't a consumable.

The car is not performing as it should therefore is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. This applies for 6 months after purchase. He will know this if he is a proper dealer. Tell him you want it fixed or else...  (I really should be charging for my advise! :P)

andoireabu

Quote from: GJL on December 12, 2014, 04:04:53 PM

The car is not performing as it should therefore is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. This applies for 6 months after purchase. He will know this if he is a proper dealer. Tell him you want it fixed or else...  (I really should be charging for my advise! :P)
Gentleman. Thanks very much.

TabClear

Quote from: andoireabu on December 12, 2014, 04:08:34 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 12, 2014, 04:04:53 PM

The car is not performing as it should therefore is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. This applies for 6 months after purchase. He will know this if he is a proper dealer. Tell him you want it fixed or else... (I really should be charging for my advise! :P)
Gentleman. Thanks very much.

Never a truer word spoken! You need to be careful GJL, you will have the mechanic's mafia after you for breaking the Omerta!  ;)

laoislad

Quote from: GJL on December 10, 2014, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2014, 09:04:35 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 09, 2014, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 09, 2014, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 28, 2014, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 28, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2014, 05:10:59 PM
So how much you talking price wise to fix?
I hate dealing with mechanics....they are nearly as bad as Electricians!!

f**k we are not that bad!! ;)

Is it an A4 you drive?
Yeah an A4.

The kit is about £500 plus VAT then a day to fit.
Got car fixed yesterday. It was the clutch and something called a slave cylinder. He said the fly wheel was in good nick and didn't need replacing.
€500 for everything

Good stuff LL. If the slave cylinder was gone did your pedal feel a bit spongey? How many miles is on your car?
120,000 KM so about 74k miles?

At that mileage I would expect the flywheel to still be ok. Good for at least 100k miles but so should the clutch and associated hydrolics. I hope this is the end of your bother.
Hopefully. If it lasts another 12 months or so it will do. Will be thinking of trading in then. I like the look of the 5 series Estate.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on December 12, 2014, 05:46:21 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 10, 2014, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 10, 2014, 09:04:35 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 09, 2014, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 09, 2014, 02:15:04 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 28, 2014, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: GJL on November 28, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2014, 05:10:59 PM
So how much you talking price wise to fix?
I hate dealing with mechanics....they are nearly as bad as Electricians!!

f**k we are not that bad!! ;)

Is it an A4 you drive?
Yeah an A4.

The kit is about £500 plus VAT then a day to fit.
Got car fixed yesterday. It was the clutch and something called a slave cylinder. He said the fly wheel was in good nick and didn't need replacing.
€500 for everything

Good stuff LL. If the slave cylinder was gone did your pedal feel a bit spongey? How many miles is on your car?
120,000 KM so about 74k miles?

At that mileage I would expect the flywheel to still be ok. Good for at least 100k miles but so should the clutch and associated hydrolics. I hope this is the end of your bother.
Hopefully. If it lasts another 12 months or so it will do. Will be thinking of trading in then. I like the look of the 5 series Estate.
Nice looking car alright but the A6 avante would be superior and would be in the same price range.

nrico2006

Just noticed last night that my wipers are sticking when put into the really fast setting.  They are working fine in the other two settings.  Only after getting my windscreen replaced last week, would this have anything to do with it?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GJL

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 08, 2015, 11:43:02 AM
Just noticed last night that my wipers are sticking when put into the really fast setting.  They are working fine in the other two settings.  Only after getting my windscreen replaced last week, would this have anything to do with it?

Yep. They probably have not been put back on in exactly the same position. Get onto who ever fitted the screen and they should sort it.

nrico2006

Quote from: GJL on January 08, 2015, 12:21:12 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 08, 2015, 11:43:02 AM

Yep. They probably have not been put back on in exactly the same position. Get onto who ever fitted the screen and they should sort it.

Thanks GJL.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bigfrank

Hi was wondering if anyone would have an answer for the following,when i push my indicator up/down the lights dont work but when i hold it inbetween off and fully on they work fine??