Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: Agent Orange on October 14, 2014, 09:54:25 PM
Quote from: pullhard on October 14, 2014, 06:25:40 PM
Some twit has bumped into my car and cracked my front bumper. Then drove off.

I'd like to replace it, as cheaply as possible. Where could i get an undamaged second handed bumper or new one?
I'll work out how to fit it afterwards.

Car 2010 Skoda Fabia red!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2010+skoda+fabia+front+bumper&_nkw=2010+skoda+fabia+front+bumper&_sacat=0
Ring a few breakers, Quigg Bros in Rasharkin specialize in all vw/audi/skoda etc.

pullhard

Cheers lads, I'm based Liverpool way. Some price for the bumper! disappointing that it doesn't include grilles and blanks

bogball88

Got an 05 diesel Megane, and just this morning I have noticed a rattle, almost like a loud vibration coming from the engine which increases when revving. Any suggestions what this might be?

BenDover

Could be a wheel bearing - to test find a straight stretch of road with no other cars about, drive the car till ye hear the rattle then knock the engine off and listen for the noise coming from the wheels.

Then again it could be 1 of 40 other things - get it to a mechanic

GJL

Quote from: bogball88 on October 16, 2014, 09:49:19 AM
Got an 05 diesel Megane, and just this morning I have noticed a rattle, almost like a loud vibration coming from the engine which increases when revving. Any suggestions what this might be?

Is the rattle there when stationary? Bottom pully come loose?

bogball88

Quote from: GJL on October 16, 2014, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: bogball88 on October 16, 2014, 09:49:19 AM

Is the rattle there when stationary? Bottom pully come loose?

Can just about make it out when stationary, but gets audibly louder when you rev it up. Drove it about 16 miles to work slowly after I noticed it

LeoMc

Was looking at a 2011 C Class Mercedes automatic at the weekend there. Has anyone any experience of them? I have never owned an Automatic, would I be buying trouble or should I get 5-6 years of trouble free motoring before it gives bother?

general

one of the family has a E270 merc, auto.

Pure luxury to drive, even after 10 years and 170K on the clock.

Never any hassle with gearbox

GJL

Quote from: LeoMc on October 20, 2014, 09:10:28 AM
Was looking at a 2011 C Class Mercedes automatic at the weekend there. Has anyone any experience of them? I have never owned an Automatic, would I be buying trouble or should I get 5-6 years of trouble free motoring before it gives bother?

Not a bad car but would rate the Audi A4 auto a much better car. Mercedes are not the car they used to be.

LeoMc

Cheers, wasn't particularly looking for an Auto but that the majority of Mercedes seem to be Auto.
Was just surprised at how much they had come down in price, not much more that the cost of an 18 month old Golf.

theskull1

Of the recent cars out there, is there any stand out diesel engine & drive train out there at the minute GJL? i.e built to last (200k miles+) and not give loads of (expensive) problems over its lifetime even with proper use and maintenance ? Seems they all have weak points, some more than others I'm sure.   
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

GJL

Quote from: theskull1 on October 20, 2014, 12:07:18 PM
Of the recent cars out there, is there any stand out diesel engine & drive train out there at the minute GJL? i.e built to last (200k miles+) and not give loads of (expensive) problems over its lifetime even with proper use and maintenance ? Seems they all have weak points, some more than others I'm sure.

I would say VW/Audi/Skoda is the best. There are none without fault. The key is regular servicing and try to use good fuel. Too many people are putting servicing on the long finger. ''Ah sure its going fine, I'll leave it another while''. This is where the damage is done.

andoireabu

A light came up on the dash the other day saying the bonnet is open even though it isn't and the electric windows stopped working on the same day.  Any ideas?  Could the same thing have caused both to happen?  I'm guessing it's a sensor or something in the bonnet but not a clue why the windows stopped working.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

supersarsfields

My engine light came on and I brought it to a friend. He put it on the machine and it's was saying the diesel particulate filter. Would a bottle of particulate regenerator in the diesel sort this out or would I need to do more?

GJL

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 20, 2014, 02:26:08 PM
My engine light came on and I brought it to a friend. He put it on the machine and it's was saying the diesel particulate filter. Would a bottle of particulate regenerator in the diesel sort this out or would I need to do more?

It is worth a try but usually it needs more than that. What type of car?