Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2014, 06:24:53 PM
GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.
Yesterday when I went to put the window down there was a grinding sound and the window only went down about half an inch.
Now it won't go up or down but I can hear the motor trying to work when I press the button.
Is it possible the glass has just come off its track or does it sound like the motor is fcuked?

How hard is it to take the inside door panel off of this type of car so I can have a look? I'm left now with the window down about an inch which is annoying.

GJL will no doubt give you the full low down, but it sounds like the metal cable is frayed and could be wound around the regulator spindle. I had this problem with a Superb recently and managed to get the panel off and trimmed away the frayed strands - this was only a temporary measure but as I was getting rid of the car it was grand.
It wasn't that tough to get the panel off (with the aid of a decent on line guide). To replace it on the superb would involve buying an aluminium panel with the regulator attached. About 100-120 I reckon.

GJL

Quote from: StephenC on October 05, 2014, 06:32:24 PM
GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.
Yesterday when I went to put the window down there was a grinding sound and the window only went down about half an inch.
Now it won't go up or down but I can hear the motor trying to work when I press the button.
Is it possible the glass has just come off its track or does it sound like the motor is fcuked?

How hard is it to take the inside door panel off of this type of car so I can have a look? I'm left now with the window down about an inch which is annoying.

GJL will no doubt give you the full low down, but it sounds like the metal cable is frayed and could be wound around the regulator spindle. I had this problem with a Superb recently and managed to get the panel off and trimmed away the frayed strands - this was only a temporary measure but as I was getting rid of the car it was grand.
It wasn't that tough to get the panel off (with the aid of a decent on line guide). To replace it on the superb would involve buying an aluminium panel with the regulator attached. About 100-120 I reckon.
Nail on the head there. Broken wire in the regulator. Common enough failure. We have them often enough.

laoislad

Quote from: GJL on October 05, 2014, 06:39:43 PM
GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.

Nail on the head there. Broken wire in the regulator. Common enough failure. We have them often enough.
Thanks GJL and StephenC.
I'll try take the panel off tomorrow and have a look.
Anyway of joining the cable ? I've got cable crimps and a crimper that I use for joining heavy copper electric cable I wonder would it work.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.

Thanks GJL and StephenC.
Anyway of joining the cable ? I've got cable crimps and a crimper that I use for joining heavy copper electric cable I wonder would it work.

Sorry LL it won't work. The wire has to wind tightly around a few runner wheels and the motor wheel so joint will not work. New regulator the only proper fix. If you open the door and use a hand either side of the glass you should be able to pull the window up.

laoislad

Quote from: GJL on October 05, 2014, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.

Thanks GJL and StephenC.

Sorry LL it won't work. The wire has to wind tightly around a few runner wheels and the motor wheel so joint will not work. New regulator the only proper fix. If you open the door and use a hand either side of the glass you should be able to pull the window up.
Thanks GJL. I wonder could I pick up a second hand regulator.? I'm sure I'd be able change it myself anyway?
I found a video on YouTube of a guy changing one on a 04 Audi A4,mine is the next model up so maybe it wouldn't be that much different on a newer model.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Zulu

Not exactly on topic but I'm looking to buy a cheap secondhand car. However, I know little or nothing about cars other than how to keep them between the ditches, most of the time anyway! I'm living in Britain so there's plenty of choice but I really want to get a car for less than £1000 that won't pack up on me within 3 months or refuse to start on a winter morning. Any advice on the make of car or what I should look out for if buying off a private seller so I can be confident it's a reasonable car? I intend on upgrading to a decent car next May or June but need something to last me till then. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Denn Forever

Zulu, first thing to do would be a HPI check.  https://www.hpicheck.com/.

Also, you live in Scotland don't ya?  Short hop and skip back home and GJL might be able to sort you out.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

snoopdog

Hi, any one any idea how much ball joint rubbers are for a 2006 Mazda 6 i was told they can be quite expensive.

general

Quote from: general on September 24, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
The car was at Hurst for 2 weeks, maybe more. Got it back on Saturday, drove home, all good. Got into it 30 mins later and it refused to start and electrics going mental again. Alarm going off, engine immobilized. They replaced door handle, door latch and wiring however they couldn't do that right, they left the lock on the driver door missing the black covering so its not been put back together properly. I think the problem is that they cant find the fault and don't know how. They don't have a mini dealership and refuse to send it to someone like Bavarian to get the issue highlighted.

Called Hurst Monday morning at 8 am, got my first kind of apology about a month too late. Second official complaint sent down on Tuesday morning with the car - didn't get a reply to the first, although they began to work on the car when they received the first so i took that as an acceptance of the letter.

Nothing but a hassle, I use my car to get into work locally and the girlfriend needs hers to commute. I'm without a car until the other is fixed. No offer of a courtesy car. I have stated my rights with the sale of goods act etc. They have accepted that it will be fixed at their cost. they just seem to be taking their time on purpose.

The car wont be leaving again until its fully fixed, I've also mentioned I would be contacting Nolan so they seem to have a rocket up their arse about it now. I've taken advice from Consumer Line, and trading standards, so if the issue is not fixed then I will be requesting a) replacement of the car or b) full/partial refund

After this fiasco,

i collected the car on Saturday Morning, alot of work done to the car, new wiring in the doors, new door latches both doors, new handles both doors, new shock on RDS, 2 x new break disks, 2 x new runflat tyres, full tank of petrol and the car put through MOT.

The 2 complaint letters i wrote really got them moving and put tyres etc on the car as an apology. Never should went that far. I've never had that bad service before and certainly wont be going near hurst again. a warning for everyone. it took from the last week in august until 11th October to get this sorted.

thanks GJL for the advice

GJL

Quote from: general on October 14, 2014, 10:11:40 AM
Quote from: general on September 24, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
The car was at Hurst for 2 weeks, maybe more. Got it back on Saturday, drove home, all good. Got into it 30 mins later and it refused to start and electrics going mental again. Alarm going off, engine immobilized. They replaced door handle, door latch and wiring however they couldn't do that right, they left the lock on the driver door missing the black covering so its not been put back together properly. I think the problem is that they cant find the fault and don't know how. They don't have a mini dealership and refuse to send it to someone like Bavarian to get the issue highlighted.

Called Hurst Monday morning at 8 am, got my first kind of apology about a month too late. Second official complaint sent down on Tuesday morning with the car - didn't get a reply to the first, although they began to work on the car when they received the first so i took that as an acceptance of the letter.

Nothing but a hassle, I use my car to get into work locally and the girlfriend needs hers to commute. I'm without a car until the other is fixed. No offer of a courtesy car. I have stated my rights with the sale of goods act etc. They have accepted that it will be fixed at their cost. they just seem to be taking their time on purpose.

The car wont be leaving again until its fully fixed, I've also mentioned I would be contacting Nolan so they seem to have a rocket up their arse about it now. I've taken advice from Consumer Line, and trading standards, so if the issue is not fixed then I will be requesting a) replacement of the car or b) full/partial refund

After this fiasco,

i collected the car on Saturday Morning, alot of work done to the car, new wiring in the doors, new door latches both doors, new handles both doors, new shock on RDS, 2 x new break disks, 2 x new runflat tyres, full tank of petrol and the car put through MOT.

The 2 complaint letters i wrote really got them moving and put tyres etc on the car as an apology. Never should went that far. I've never had that bad service before and certainly wont be going near hurst again. a warning for everyone. it took from the last week in august until 11th October to get this sorted.

thanks GJL for the advice

Great news :)  I knew you had them by the balls, all it needed was the right pressure applied.

Hereiam

What you should do now is sell the dam car. It sounds like it could be a bad one to keep.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Hereiam on October 14, 2014, 12:52:45 PM
What you should do now is sell the dam car. It sounds like it could be a bad one to keep.

Do you have to disclose it's history?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bensars

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 14, 2014, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on October 14, 2014, 12:52:45 PM

Do you have to disclose it's history?

Do ye feck !  There wouldnt be a car dealer left if that was the case

pullhard

Some twit has bumped into my car and cracked my front bumper. Then drove off.

I'd like to replace it, as cheaply as possible. Where could i get an undamaged second handed bumper or new one?
I'll work out how to fit it afterwards.

Car 2010 Skoda Fabia red!

Agent Orange

Quote from: pullhard on October 14, 2014, 06:25:40 PM
Some twit has bumped into my car and cracked my front bumper. Then drove off.

I'd like to replace it, as cheaply as possible. Where could i get an undamaged second handed bumper or new one?
I'll work out how to fit it afterwards.

Car 2010 Skoda Fabia red!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2010+skoda+fabia+front+bumper&_nkw=2010+skoda+fabia+front+bumper&_sacat=0