Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Cars due for a service, so was about to get it sorted as MOT coming up also, in the space of two days the emissions indicator came on and injector fault came on!!

So with the fuel low the car wouldn't start as there wasn't enough fuel to pump into the injectors i was told, so I filled it up job done started was asked was it dirty fuel, I got it in a normal garage not one of these dodgy ones but who knows ffs. Now the emission light is confusing as I'm unsure of the problem it will cause if I continue to drive before I get it fixed.

Is it a case of cleaning the fuel fillter for the injector problem and replacing something where the emissions is located?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2013, 09:51:08 AM
Cars due for a service, so was about to get it sorted as MOT coming up also, in the space of two days the emissions indicator came on and injector fault came on!!

So with the fuel low the car wouldn't start as there wasn't enough fuel to pump into the injectors i was told, so I filled it up job done started was asked was it dirty fuel, I got it in a normal garage not one of these dodgy ones but who knows ffs. Now the emission light is confusing as I'm unsure of the problem it will cause if I continue to drive before I get it fixed.

Is it a case of cleaning the fuel fillter for the injector problem and replacing something where the emissions is located?
This still the Santa Fe? You need to get rid of that yoke if it is.

I had a great start to the day - flat tyre and on removing the spare found it was flat too!  :-[

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 23, 2013, 01:19:12 PM

I had a great start to the day - flat tyre and on removing the spare found it was flat too!  :-[

Santa Fe long gone, got £1900 for it, unreal lol. No Bought a 1.9dci Megane, is driving well just the emission indicator on. I've done that before, flat met by another flat!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2013, 01:43:58 PM

Santa Fe long gone, got £1900 for it, unreal lol. No Bought a 1.9dci Megane, is driving well just the emission indicator on. I've done that before, flat met by another flat!!

I'm afraid you got rid of one trouble maker and bought another. Those meganes give their fair share of bother.

Have the heater plugs checked. I have seen them put those lights on.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on September 23, 2013, 02:07:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2013, 01:43:58 PM

I'm afraid you got rid of one trouble maker and bought another. Those meganes give their fair share of bother.

Have the heater plugs checked. I have seen them put those lights on.

Lol    Cheers, I better start making my millions soon  :P

balladmaker

Have had a lot of electric problems with a Megane, will be avoiding Renault in the future.  Worst was when driving along at 60mph, all dashboard lights lit up, hazard lights came on, wipers started going and steering wheel lock came on, scary! Had to have new fuse box installed to clear the problem.

No luck with 2005 model VW Passat either, second oil pump failed within a year, £1000 bill to fix, it's a known design fault on this model.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: balladmaker on September 23, 2013, 07:47:30 PM
Have had a lot of electric problems with a Megane, will be avoiding Renault in the future.  Worst was when driving along at 60mph, all dashboard lights lit up, hazard lights came on, wipers started going and steering wheel lock came on, scary! Had to have new fuse box installed to clear the problem.

No luck with 2005 model VW Passat either, second oil pump failed within a year, £1000 bill to fix, it's a known design fault on this model.

You always hear of the design faults afterwards lol!! I knew there would be issues with the Megane and I haven't spent a penny on it, the light is on but car running fine, I hope she just needs a service, change filters and clear up the emissions problem. buying the parts for all cars seems to be the only way, ya can't fix it without replacing whole bloody systems

All of a Sludden

A grand to fix an oil pump?  :o

If I was living in NI/UK I would be looking at one of the many lease deals. You can get yourself into a new C class diesel Merc for £250 a month and a new GTD Golf for under £200. BMW are likely to match the Merc offer, these cars would lose more in depreciation over the term than the actual cost of the lease. It's worry free motoring and a no brainer in my opinion.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

offtheground

Lease deals - are they not v restrictive in terms of the mileage you can do per year?

johnneycool

Quote from: offtheground on September 24, 2013, 09:20:29 AM
Lease deals - are they not v restrictive in terms of the mileage you can do per year?

Saw one outside a supermarket for a jaguar something or other, similar to a mondeo and it was restricted to 12K a year, I'd do that in 8 months.

moysider

Bought a 05 Santa Fe last week.

Grand job. Automatic and was fresh as a daisy after driving up and down from CP on Sunday. I find clutching a killer on the dodgy lower back.

However yesterday I open the passenger door with key and the alarm went off. Since, it goes off anytime I open any door. It wont start either as a result. What to do? Help!

Never had a car with an alarm before. :-[ :'(

All of a Sludden

I wouldn't have a clue, I assume you could increase the mileage at a cost. I saw these deals advertised in Evo magazine and then had a look on various car forums. I suppose there had to be some sort of catch.

You could always give it a haircut.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

theskull1

Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2013, 09:41:30 AM

Saw one outside a supermarket for a jaguar something or other, similar to a mondeo and it was restricted to 12K a year, I'd do that in 8 months.

Had you down as more of a lexus man JC  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on September 24, 2013, 10:57:44 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 24, 2013, 09:41:30 AM

Had you down as more of a lexus man JC  ;D

Those days of milk and honey are long gone as you well know, a lexus would be too rich for my blood now, need something that'll burn the red biddy and not give any hassle.

balladmaker

QuoteA grand to fix an oil pump?

It's some sort of a balance shaft, that drives the oil pump, that wears its threads and packs in.  Thus the oil pump fails, and then whatever damage to the engine which may ensue by the time you have stopped.  The twice it happened me, it was on the exact same stretch of the M1 heading north from Dublin, so by the time you get pulled in, any sort of damage could have occurred.  So when I say 1K to repair, you have to buy the whole balance shaft, oil pump assembly as a kit, you can't just buy the part that has lost its threads.  A nightmare, and once the Passat is fixed this time, it's being moved on.  The mechanic is trying to get the actual part engineered locally to get the car going again, I ain't for forking out another grand on the car this time.