Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Santa Fe (2004) for sale, 150,000 miles on it, diesel, manual. New clutch and 6 months MOT.  Looking £1900
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Her indoors's Citroen C4 is pinking fairly badly under load. I assume this is over-advanced timing. In the old days I'd have attacked this myself with the strobe light and distributor adjustment. Is there any DIY solution for electronic ignition or do I have to pay a few hundred quid to get a computer plugged in and a setting adjusted?

Denn Forever

Have you checked the timing with the strobe light?  Electronic ignition just replaces the points with a more reliable spark.  Adjust the timing by rotating the distributor as normal.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Begod! I didn't know that - thought it'd be an electronic timing adjustment of some kind. Thanks.

GJL

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 18, 2013, 08:16:34 PM
Have you checked the timing with the strobe light?  Electronic ignition just replaces the points with a more reliable spark.  Adjust the timing by rotating the distributor as normal.

;D. Jeysus

Last Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 18, 2013, 08:16:34 PM
What u drivin DF, an Orion??

Milltown Row2

any thoughts on this car? Wife looking a smaller car

Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 TS Lusso 5dr Hatchback
2003 Reg, Hatchback
Private seller, distance: 13 miles
69,800 miles
Manual
1.6L
Petrol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

I would a avoid alfas big time. They do not have a good reputation for reliability at all. Some great value to be had in the second hand market if you are prepared to buy petrol. Get her a golf.

qubdub

wouldn't touch an alfa, even brand new. Also hear the parts are expensive. Like the man says get her a golf. 13 yr old diesel just sailed through the mot there on monday :)

theskull1

New Vauxhall (Astra GTC) 1.7 cdti engine.....any opinions?

Honda early flywheel replacement. Ford/Volvo/Mazda rising oil level (diesel contamination). Always told stay away from French makes. VW 2.0 nowhere near as good as the 1.9 and the 1.6 is terrible.

Choices aren't great...... :-\ :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2013, 05:44:35 PM

2003 Reg, Hatchback
69,800 miles
Manual
1.6L
Petrol

My friend had a brand new Alfa and said it was in the garage several times for major repairs to gear box, clutch etc in the 2 years he had it and changed to a Mazda 6 a few months back.
He'd never touch one again although he said they were a lovely drive.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2013, 05:44:35 PM

2003 Reg, Hatchback
69,800 miles
Manual
1.6L
Petrol

I had that very car, I think it was 2001 reg. Just died one day. There were so many problems with it they just scrapped it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Milltown Row2

what about the C4 Vt Coupe? It's 2005, petrol with 87,000 miles on it selling at £1300

I'm rubbish at buying cars

macdanger2

Have a look at honestjohn.co.uk for car reviews going well back into the 90s, it's pretty good and gives a rundown of common problems on various cars.

laoislad

I'm getting a vibration in the pedals and floor when I go above 110km/hr
No vibration in steering wheel so I'm assuming it isn't a wheel balancing problem.
Also when I put the foot down to pass a car on the motorway it gets slightly worse and it feels like the engine is labouring.
Any ideas?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.