Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: LeoMc on July 09, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
Have been quoted £350 to fix the electric window in my Megane. Apparently it is a known fault but my car is too old to qualify for a subsidised replacement by Renault. Seems a bit much as that is near enough the value of the car. Anybody any experience of this problem or of getting it fixed?
Is the window currently closed? If so dont waste the money on changing it. Pain in the arse at toll booths or checkpoints though ;D

omagh_gael

Quote from: snoopdog on July 11, 2013, 11:31:50 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 09, 2013, 10:28:07 PM
Have been quoted £350 to fix the electric window in my Megane. Apparently it is a known fault but my car is too old to qualify for a subsidised replacement by Renault. Seems a bit much as that is near enough the value of the car. Anybody any experience of this problem or of getting it fixed?
Is the window currently closed? If so dont waste the money on changing it. Pain in the arse at toll booths or checkpoints though ;D

Amen to that brother! The cops get a bit jittery when you grab for the door handle instead of rolling down the window.

All of a Sludden

Your car won't pass an NCT/MOT if the window isn't working properly. Try ebay or a breakers yard for the part.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

LeoMc

Quote from: All of a Sludden on July 11, 2013, 01:00:11 PM
Your car won't pass an NCT/MOT if the window isn't working properly. Try ebay or a breakers yard for the part.
Just went through MOT today with it not working. It is currently in the up position and heat is killing me. Toll booths are a hoor too.

PAULD123

The condition of a window is a requirement but not it's operation. The car is safe to be driven with a sound window that is up. It creates no safety risk or danger to other road users and so it is not required. A driver's inconvenience is not a matter for government just fro the driver themselve

All of a Sludden

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 12, 2013, 10:20:02 AM

The condition of a window is a requirement but not it's operation. The car is safe to be driven with a sound window that is up. It creates no safety risk or danger to other road users and so it is not required. A driver's inconvenience is not a matter for government just fro the driver themselve

It is an MOT failure if you are unable to adjust the drivers wing mirror. It is an NCT failure regardless.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Hardy

DickyRock

Think the clutch is going to fail on the jetta (07).

When pressing the clutch pedal and getting a judder in the pedal - definitely not smooth.

Is it just a time bomb now? How much would it take to replace? Get it done now before she goes or wait? Anyone know a good garage in the south of the city / carryduff?

GJL

Quote from: DickyRock on July 14, 2013, 07:51:59 PM
Think the clutch is going to fail on the jetta (07).

When pressing the clutch pedal and getting a judder in the pedal - definitely not smooth.

Is it just a time bomb now? How much would it take to replace? Get it done now before she goes or wait? Anyone know a good garage in the south of the city / carryduff?

Flywheel and clutch kit required. Common fault from about 80000miles on. Cost about 5-600. Do not let someone talk you into a solid flywheel conversion. If you take it to us in Ballygawley we will do you a decent price.

omagh_gael

My brothers 03 1.8tdci focus starts to vibrate/scraping noise when idling but goes away/becomes less obvious when you depress the clutch or put it into gear and drive off. Does this sound like clutch/fly wheel job?

GJL

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 14, 2013, 09:37:15 PM
My brothers 03 1.8tdci focus starts to vibrate/scraping noise when idling but goes away/becomes less obvious when you depress the clutch or put it into gear and drive off. Does this sound like clutch/fly wheel job?

Possibly or maybe the release bearing. Either way it requires the gearbox to be removed.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 14, 2013, 09:37:15 PM
I had the same motor and what you described was flywheel. Sold the car as it was gonna cost more to fix (that and the other faults) than it was worth.

Rois

I had same problem - look back to page 4- and it turned out not to be fly wheel. Not sure what it was but it wasn't as dear to fix, even by VW dealer, as I had feared.

GJL

Quote from: Rois on July 14, 2013, 11:24:45 PM
I had same problem - look back to page 4- and it turned out not to be fly wheel. Not sure what it was but it wasn't as dear to fix, even by VW dealer, as I had feared.

Could you find out what it was? Curious.

Rois

Quote from: GJL on July 14, 2013, 11:39:02 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 14, 2013, 11:24:45 PM

Could you find out what it was? Curious.

I'll try, it would be on the Donnelly receipt I got, but I may have thrown it out. Cost me about £200 to get fixed which I was relieved about but symptoms were exactly the same.