Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Is it not just the PSNI or having an accident (invalid insurance) that you'd have to worry about?  The garage wouldn't care how you got there I would imagine.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trueblue1234

Yeah I was thinking that. But then I wasn't sure if the MOT centre would cause any hassles or maybe they were under obligation to report it if the vehicle was driven on the road without valid MOT? If there was no chance of hassle from them I would just drive it in. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

take_yer_points

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2013, 02:56:22 PM
Yeah I was thinking that. But then I wasn't sure if the MOT centre would cause any hassles or maybe they were under obligation to report it if the vehicle was driven on the road without valid MOT? If there was no chance of hassle from them I would just drive it in.

2 years ago my car failed in Enniskillen a week before the MOT was up (about 2 weeks before Christmas). I had to replace a cable and booked it in again for the following Saturday (the day the MOT was up). I drove to Enniskillen for the test and when I got there they had a notice on the gates that they were closed due to the snow. I was back up in Belfast for work on Monday morning and managed to book into Mallusk that morning for the retest and got refunded for the original one in Enniskillen - no questions asked in Mallusk even though the MOT expired two days earlier.

I'm having a problem with a Ford Focus (04) at the minute. The engine management light has is on constantly. I read online that you can get an error code by starting the engine whilst holding in the button that resets the mileage trip counter. When I do that the error code I get is 9A9E. Has anyone any idea what this could be?

take_yer_points

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 25, 2013, 02:56:22 PM

2 years ago my car failed in Enniskillen a week before the MOT was up (about 2 weeks before Christmas). I had to replace a cable and booked it in again for the following Saturday (the day the MOT was up). I drove to Enniskillen for the test and when I got there they had a notice on the gates that they were closed due to the snow. I was back up in Belfast for work on Monday morning and managed to book into Mallusk that morning for the retest and got refunded for the original one in Enniskillen - no questions asked in Mallusk even though the MOT expired two days earlier.

I'm having a problem with a Ford Focus (04) at the minute. The engine management light is on constantly. I read online that you can get an error code by starting the engine whilst holding in the button that resets the mileage trip counter. When I do that the error code I get is 9A9E. Has anyone any idea what this could be?

BenDover

the wife drives a citroen xsara picasso and it has started to make a grinding crunching noise when turning. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side any ideas as to what this could be? Bit of googling points to a wheel bearing problem

take_yer_points

Quote from: BenDover on February 15, 2013, 10:23:06 AM
the wife drives a citroen xsara picasso and it has started to make a grinding crunching noise when turning. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side any ideas as to what this could be? Bit of googling points to a wheel bearing problem

Thanks for the link about the engine management light.

I had a problem that sounds similar - I had to have a drop link replaced.

Tony Baloney

My car was clunking a bit when turning at low speed i.e. into or out of parking bay. Was track rod end. Didnt cost much to get fixed at local garage.

johnneycool

Could be the CV joint as well.

BenDover

I've had CV joint problem before but it was more of a knocking sound

NAG1

I know this may seem a really petty one but the Medium wave signal on my car radio has dropped dramatically to the point where it is unuseable, FM still fine but I am starting to miss 5 Live for the sport when I am out and about. Is this a signal problem due to the digital signal etc or a problem with the radio and any solutions?

Last Man

sounds more like a suspension or steering ball joint worn, if its been noisy for a while I wouldnt hang about getting it looked at

Lecale2

Quote from: NAG1 on February 15, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
I know this may seem a really petty one but the Medium wave signal on my car radio has dropped dramatically to the point where it is unuseable, FM still fine but I am starting to miss 5 Live for the sport when I am out and about. Is this a signal problem due to the digital signal etc or a problem with the radio and any solutions?

I listen to MW all the time and I've noticed no change. Must be your wireless.

GJL

Quote from: Last Man on February 15, 2013, 08:35:08 PM
sounds more like a suspension or steering ball joint worn, if its been noisy for a while I wouldnt hang about getting it looked at

Like has been said this could be any one of a number of things, some of which could be dangerous. From your discription it is impossible to say exactly what is wrong so get it checked out by a professional ASAP.

nrico2006

Quote from: GJL on February 18, 2013, 09:32:41 AM
Quote from: Last Man on February 15, 2013, 08:35:08 PM

Like has been said this could be any one of a number of things, some of which could be dangerous. From your discription it is impossible to say exactly what is wrong so get it checked out by a professional ASAP.

Exactly, more than likely something that wont cost much to fix.  Could be a track rod end, CV boot, drive shaft or any number of other causes.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'