All Ireland senior football final 2012 Donegal v Mayo

Started by rrhf, August 26, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stibhan

Donegal were well worth their win for being more economical with their chances. Goes without saying that a crazy opening to the game killed it for Mayo, but they looked the better footballing team for long spells after that. Donegal's famed third quarter never materialised, and it was actually the last 10 minutes that won the game for them in the end. If Mayo had have had Andy Moran on the field there really could have been an upset - a team can't find an all-Ireland without their star player.

McGuinness' tactics, commitment and inspiration throughout the season were absolutely fantastic, but his stunt at the end was outrageous there. Every journalist in the room should have followed Declan Bogue out.

theticklemister

Quote from: stibhan on September 23, 2012, 08:38:04 PM
Donegal were well worth their win for being more economical with their chances. Goes without saying that a crazy opening to the game killed it for Mayo, but they looked the better footballing team for long spells after that. Donegal's famed third quarter never materialised, and it was actually the last 10 minutes that won the game for them in the end. If Mayo had have had Andy Moran on the field there really could have been an upset - a team can't find an all-Ireland without their star player.

McGuinness' tactics, commitment and inspiration throughout the season were absolutely fantastic, but his stunt at the end was outrageous there. Every journalist in the room should have followed Declan Bogue out.

What happened mucker??

stibhan

Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2012, 08:43:12 PM

What happened mucker??

Kicked Declan Bogue out of the post-match presser. Awful behaviour.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: emmetryan on September 23, 2012, 08:22:14 PM
Hi lads, I've put together tactical analysis of the final here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6244

Fair dues Emmet, I've now forgiven you for your spot on analysis of our 2012 inepititude! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

lawnseed

Quote from: stibhan on September 23, 2012, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2012, 08:43:12 PM

What happened mucker??

Kicked Declan Bogue out of the post-match presser. Awful behaviour.
what did bogue do on him
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

emmetryan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 23, 2012, 08:49:31 PM
Quote from: emmetryan on September 23, 2012, 08:22:14 PM
Hi lads, I've put together tactical analysis of the final here http://action81.com/blog/?p=6244

Fair dues Emmet, I've now forgiven you for your spot on analysis of our 2012 inepititude! ;)

Cheers!
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

imtommygunn

Quote from: theticklemister on September 23, 2012, 08:25:07 PM
No2 on Murphy??? Murphy had his best game of the year.anyone know where I can get sunday game in england, any streams?

I meant that was Horan's only mistake tactically. Murphy far too physically powerful for the number 2(not sure of name) and shouldn't have been on him. The number 2 did very well on McFadden though.

crossfire

I might be in the Donegal Town/Ardara/Glenties area on Tuesday night.
Any suggestions on the best football pubs in that area.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2012, 08:58:49 PM
No2 on Murphy??? Murphy had his best game of the year.anyone know where I can get sunday game in england, any streams?

I meant that was Horan's only mistake tactically. Murphy far too physically powerful for the number 2(not sure of name) and shouldn't have been on him. The number 2 did very well on McFadden though.

Kevin Keane, brother.

The reality is that match-up is what separated the two teams. Outside of that 2-1 patch there was just about nothing between the sides for the rest of the game. Mayo allowed Donegal reach the cushion they needed to play their preferred defensive formation and chasing a big Donegal lead is one of the loneliest furrows you can dig in gaelic football.

Despite all the plaudits winging their way to Letterkenny tonight this was a nervous Donegal team (how couldn't they be?) that committed many mental lapses and gifted Mayo plenty of soft frees. It was far from clear cut and with more vision Mayo could well have unlocked the Donegal defence for at least a goal and that would have resulted in a very different finish.

Donegal were deserving winners but the whole Broly party-line about Donegal being a machine and 'never panicking' was laid bare for what it was today.

Donegal are now presented with the same task Dublin had this year; you've finally made it to the top of the hill, do you have the appetite to stay there?

seafoid

It will be on the rte player but maybe not until tomorrow

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2012, 09:09:30 PM
gifted Mayo plenty of soft frees.

Deegan had Mayowestros freeitis in his arms throughout most of the game.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2012, 09:19:13 PM

He was spewing out yellow cards at Mayo for half the match. A few dodgy frees no doubt but that worked both ways. Donegal were far more indisciplined than they were advertised to be.

Captain Obvious

Mayo didn't look capable of unlocking the Donegal defence for a goal.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2012, 09:23:34 PM

He was spewing out yellow cards at Mayo for half the match. A few dodgy frees no doubt but that worked both ways. Donegal were far more indisciplined than they were advertised to be.

How many times did mayo get their frees moved forward? Mayo were up to the same as Donegal at frees and he was hugely inconsistent here.

For donegal's second goal it should have been a free in to mayo prior to it though. I thought the ref favoured mayo for a few decisions but overall didn't have a big bearing on the game.

Hard to say if Keane on murphy did dictate the match. I think it would have taken a very different course but for that goal.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2012, 09:33:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2012, 09:23:34 PM

How many times did mayo get their frees moved forward? Mayo were up to the same as Donegal at frees and he was hugely inconsistent here.

For donegal's second goal it should have been a free in to mayo prior to it though. I thought the ref favoured mayo for a few decisions but overall didn't have a big bearing on the game.

Hard to say if Keane on murphy did dictate the match. I think it would have taken a very different course but for that goal.

Moist of the time all that served to do was let the yellow jerseys flood back.

And that last line is a masterpiece of double-talk..! Whether you think it may have been different had they not scored doesn't change that it dicated the course of the game. It allowed Donegal to impose their system without much concern for chasing points.