What does hurling mean to you?

Started by totippandback, August 21, 2012, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muchachos

Pure Primal.
Its a warriors sport. Skill, guile, craft, honour, pride, comrades.
Not a sport to beat it as far as im concerned. Tribal, courageous, punishing, and purely IRISH.

seafoid

Fr Harry Bohan in 2005 or so in the Irish Times discussing the Clare hurlers said it would be impossible to imagine the county without them .

Aerlik

I bought mini-me his first hurl when home in August and we went for our first puck-about last weekend, Father's Day, at a park near my home in central Perth.  Other dads were throwing frisbees, kicking AFL balls etc but we on our own and the inevitable group of onlookers materialised.

Hurling to me is the purest symbol of my Irish heritage, nationality and culture; simply unique.   I'm so proud to have been able to play the game at different levels at home and want my son to share some of that.  It is a statement. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

joe bloggs

Hurling is always having a hurl in the boot of the car, you never know when you might have a few pucks.
It is always taking a look at a team mates new hurls.
It is spending a half an hour trying to find a hurl with the right balance and weight in some lads workshop.
It is enjoying a junior b game as much as king Henry an AIF.
It is awe inspiring to first time viewers from foreign lands.
It is getting your knuckles  bursted and not caring.
It is looking in the buy and sell for a second hand Cooper
It is hooks, flicks, roll lifts and 127 other skills.
It is ..... the greatest game on earth

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Other than our language and music probably one of the only pure native aspects of our culture left. Unbelievable game.

theticklemister

a game i released when picking up as a 18 year old for the famous Na Magha hurling team from derry city that I should of picked up a long time ago.

I think all us football gaels realise that hurling is our best GAA sport

spuds

Lads with funny accents wielding planks of pliable timber and bating the bejaysus out if it and guffawing through gappy mouths as they pull first time on a dropping ball.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dag Dog

AZOffaly

Would you say 'Unlimited Heartbreak'?

Premier Emperor

In Limerick hurling means a free summer to save the hay every year.

AZOffaly

I love the one above about having a hurl in the car at all times in case a puck around breaks out. I bring three. One for me, one for the little fella (aged 6) and one spare in case we meet anyone.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2012, 12:22:50 PM
I love the one above about having a hurl in the car at all times in case a puck around breaks out. I bring three. One for me, one for the little fella (aged 6) and one spare in case we meet anyone.

Ah sure hurls in the boot of the car dry out too much, they're outside at the back door along with the wife's, the young fellas', and the youngest lady who'd be more inclined to wallop her da than any soft touch ball she's got!

Thank god for double glazing as the wee fella has mastered the lifting this year and banging the ball off the kitchen window, I don't complain at him too much as I did the same growing up, the only difference being the ball didn't bounce back and I'd a window to clear up and fix.

AZOffaly

Croí na hÉireann

You didn't hang around to clear up and fix a broken window in our house if you were within earshot.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on September 20, 2012, 12:21:20 PM
In Limerick hurling means a free summer to save the hay every year.
Wouldn't ye have been better off out of the championship in june this year?